Status
Not open for further replies.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
I'm interested in trying PEG-400 out. I know of one supplier who sells a 100ml bottle for $85.00

Well, that's downright pricey in my book. So, I did a little Googling and found
a gallon for $100. Since that's only 18% more money for about 38X as much product,
I'm interested in what the experts know about this.

1. Is PEG-400 a good base for vaping in your opinion?
2. Is this particular product a good PEG-400 for vaping?

The source in question ...
Polyethylene Glycol 400

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
I am totally interested in PEG, but I don't have anything to offer on where to get it yet. I know that it is supposed to offer more TH than VG and is good for those with PG issues and also produces more vapor than PG. Those are the main reasons I would like to try it. I will be ordering some PEG prefilled carts just to try it out first.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
Freaky: I almost bought the 100ml from TW. Seemed entirely too pricey to me, so I went Googling and found the site I linked to in Post #1.
I'm still hoping someone will chime in. If it is just as vapable as that which is being sold at $85 for a few ounces, I'd rather spend another $15 and get a lifetime supply.

And, yeah, it would be nice to hear a 1st person account as to whether or not it's better than PG/VG too.

Nikhil

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Louisville, KY
According to the USP site, NF is used for excipient monographing within the USP-NF book of standards. The FCC is also a subdivision of USP, so I'm guessing that PEG-400 is not medically relevant enough, since they sell it as tested for NF and FCC standards rather than pharmaceutical standards. The only more clearly tested PEG-400 I've seen is this (which also says 'NF'): Chemstock, Inc. - Polyethylene Glycol - PEG 400 NF .

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
TW has a 60ml bottle of PEG for, well it depends on where the yo-yo discount is at. (EDIT: $8 or less.) I forgot to order some when I got my order from them on Sunday. I'm waiting for the next big discount and I'll throw some in just to sample mixing.
PolyEthylene Glycol-PEG 400. Pharmacopoeia-Grade 60ml

Last edited:

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
Presumably the $80 was for the 54mg nicotine mix at full price? The base alone should be cheaper (although not competitive with the price on your link for a gallon).. I've got a 100ml bottle of PEG400 54mg from them in the post, so can't comment on it yet, but I paid a lot less than $80 for it.

Looking forward to a review when you get it. I didn't know the Platinum Ice came in the PEG. Good to know. Thanks!

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
I should be asleep right now. Well, I was but now I'm not. What do I do when I wake up in the middle of my sleep cycle? Check the computer, of course, LOL.

Yes, Papa & Freaky, the 100ml for $85 I referred to is 54mg. I'll look forward to hearing your evaluation.

Nikhil apparently approves the source I linked to. I don't need the nic content, as I already have 100mg on hand (PG). I'm only interested in the PEG-400 for possible mixing purposes at this time. And yet, I don't have a clear picture of its worth.

Wondering if it is superior in any ways from PG/VG blends.

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
Will do. From what I've read some like it, some hate it, some say that it suits certain flavours better than others. It is said to produce a lot more vapour than PG though. I found one opinion here - Polyethylene Glycol vs Aqueous Glycerine vs Propylene Glycol - iStormUK Compares

Just a thought, as it is has a melting point of 4-8 degrees c, I wonder if it will arrive as a block :) Average temperature here is around -2 during the day at the moment.

Last edited:
PEG is a mixture of different chain length glycols, in this case, with an average molecular weight of 400. The bad thing about it is that it's not well characterized and who knows about which of the chain lengths could possibly be harmful. Personally, as a chemist, I would not use it for that reason.

I read some other threads on this yesterday, including the whole google translated German forum one. Here they are:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-smoking-discussion/5874-peg-new-ingredient-instead-pg-vg.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/experiments-equipment/17118-possible-alternatives-pg-vg.html#post277529

So, I am still confused and probably need to read them again. People here seem to not worry about VG at all, but the German forum thread made it sound like it is bad. The beginning of the one said VG decomposes into harmful acrolein over 280F, but then people say attys don't get that hot, then I google some other stuff and it sounds like they can.

Someone else said that PG is safer than VG, but both are safer than analogs by about 300 times and 150 times respectively, with PEG probably falling somewhere in between them.

I don't know a lot about chemistry but my brother is a doctoral student and I was going to bug him about this soon. Shouldn't you be able to calculate or wouldn't it be likely to have been tested somewhere what PEG-400 decomposes to?

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
PEG is a mixture of different chain length glycols, in this case, with an average molecular weight of 400. The bad thing about it is that it's not well characterized and who knows about which of the chain lengths could possibly be harmful. Personally, as a chemist, I would not use it for that reason.
I see. I was under the apparently mistaken impression that PEG-400 was composed of molecules OF the molecular weight of 400 ... as opposed to an average weight of 400. From my limited knowledge of chemistry (1st year college 30+ years ago), it would seem that is a significant distinction.

And yet, the liquid being sold is certified USP. "For food, feed, drug, or cosmetic application" ... the information is looking fuzzy to me.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
It arrived by the way, in liquid form. I've tested it but as I haven't got any straight PEG400 to blend with it (doh!), so I mixed it with some PG (about 50/50). There is something different about it, but haven't made my mind up yet. It has quite a heavy throat hit without any flavouring in it I can say that much.
I'm not a true masochist (LOL), and not a huge fan of massive throat hit. Could you say if the "something different" impressed you positively or negatively? Not having its own flavor should be a plus so far as I can see. But ... I'm trying to learn here.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
I like PEG.
I got mine from Electronic Cigarette | E-Cigarette | E-Liquid Manufacturer,.
You get it straight or with nic.
I've only scratched the surface of their site so far. Their PVs don't look at the slightest interesting. But, they've apparently got good prices on their liquids. Haven't gone so far as to investigating their shipping charges. Likely not cheap, they seem to be Chinese and liquids are expensive to ship. Thanks for the link though, I'm going to look closer.

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
I'm not a true masochist (LOL), and not a huge fan of massive throat hit. Could you say if the "something different" impressed you positively or negatively? Not having its own flavor should be a plus so far as I can see. But ... I'm trying to learn here.

Still really need some time to get used to it, to see how it works with different types of flavours etc. I've only tried it with a mild tobacco taste - DV Cuban cigar. Have to say I'm not in love with it so far. With or without flavouring it has a background taste that I'm finding hard to get a handle on and it's hard to describe. Not unpleasant as such, but different. Its definitely less sweet than either PG or VG alone, but IMO it is not flavour neutral.

I could only suggest trying it for yourself but don't buy a gallon bottle until you have!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread