Poor Wicking

Status
Not open for further replies.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
Worth a try putting a drop of distilled water in your juice-filled tank. I have 7 in rotation daily and some do wick better than others. I love the ones that crackle and pop, however quietly, because I know I won't run into poor wicking with those. I have nothing to compare with as I've only used the ego type a atties and boge 2.0 cartos but do have the same occasional problem with those too. I'm researching T3, Protank, etc to try with my egos now but have heard of hit and miss wicking problems with everything I've read about.

Last edited:

misterholidayhouse

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 13, 2013
Central Oregon
Don't overfill your tanks, then after filling, hold the eroll with the tank at the top and give it a good fingernail flick or two right on the atomizer cone until you see a bubble rise to the top of the tank. Then start with a couple small primer puffs. After that you should be golden. Took me awhile to get in the habit but since I started doing that religiously I get good mileage from my atties and no more leaking either. Night and day difference from when I first started using them.

chefkeith

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
USA
Are you using type a or type b attys? I don't have mine in front if me right now, but I think type a has three grooves in the spike while type b only has one (or vice-versa). Whichever one has three grooves typically wick better for me.

However, certain juices just don't wick worth a damn, and others wick like a dream regardless of the atty type. I find it much easier to just use a juice that performs well in the eRoll - and as a benefit, I can get nearly a month out of an atty without cleaning (about 1.5 ml of juice per day).

Last edited:
Are you using type a or type b attys? I don't have mine in front if me right now, but I think type a has three grooves in the spike while type b only has one (or vice-versa). Whichever one has three grooves typically wick better for me.

However, certain juices just don't wick worth a damn, and others wick like a dream regardless of the atty type. I find it much easier to just use a juice that performs well in the eRoll - and as a benefit, I can get nearly a month out of an atty without cleaning (about 1.5 ml of juice per day).

You can only use Type A atomizers in the eRoll. The Type B has a slightly bigger diameter spike and will not fit through your cartridge.

chefkeith

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
USA
You can only use Type A atomizers in the eRoll. The Type B has a slightly bigger diameter spike and will not fit through your cartridge.

I'm vaping an eGo-C atty, type B, "normal atomizer head," that's Cignot branded, as I type this, so maybe Cignot had them specially manufactured to fit the eRoll tanks. It works quite well, but only has one groove on the spike - I prefer the Joyetech branded type A which have three grooves on the spike.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
Each of the three vendors I've bought eroll supplies from specifies the type A for the eroll. Researching types A and B, its not just the spike size that's a differentiating factor in how they work but how they work with the volume (weight) of juice in the tank for a proper feed. They are not interchangeable. The erolls have a low volume of juice demands type A be used. I don't think logic can be applied as I thought "well, there's less juice as it gets used" so I take the manufacturers word for it. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

chefkeith

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
USA
Each of the three vendors I've bought eroll supplies from specifies the type A for the eroll. Researching types A and B, its not just the spike size that's a differentiating factor in how they work but how they work with the volume (weight) of juice in the tank for a proper feed. They are not interchangeable. The erolls have a low volume of juice demands type A be used. I don't think logic can be applied as I thought "well, there's less juice as it gets used" so I take the manufacturers word for it. Hope that helps.

I'm not convinced that pressure is the predominate force at work in the eRoll, rather than capillary action, but I do prefer Joyetech's type A over Cignot's Type B (which the only discernible difference to the naked eye is the number of grooves in the spike). For thinner juices, though, I do find that the single-groove Type B helps prevent leaks and atomizer floods (thought I should point out that my eRoll has leaked since day 1 unless it's kept in the PCC, which isn't a problem because I always keep it in the PCC).

For what it's worth, I haven't measured the spike size on the Cignot Type B, but it appears to be exactly the same size as Joyetech's Type A, and the tanks seem fit with the same amount of snugness.

amp79423

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2013
Lubbock, TX, USA
I've been reading on quality control issues with the joyetech branded products when compared to ovale branded products. Has anyone checked whether the poorly wicking attys are branded joyetech or ovale? If anyone has an emini instead of an eroll, where your attys branded joyetech or ovale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

EricDykstra

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,il
I purchased a new attys from ovale. The wicks seem to be the same. It did however have no issues. I noticed how much better the fit is from the spike to the cone. Much easier to put the spike back. The fit is not tight or loose, just right. I have noticed that approximately 1 out 10 joye attys have issues. The coil is deformed or the wick is to short, or it is just DOA. I just started on the ovale attys (only used 2) so time will tell.

amp79423

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2013
Lubbock, TX, USA
I purchased a new attys from ovale. The wicks seem to be the same. It did however have no issues. I noticed how much better the fit is from the spike to the cone. Much easier to put the spike back. The fit is not tight or loose, just right. I have noticed that approximately 1 out 10 joye attys have issues. The coil is deformed or the wick is to short, or it is just DOA. I just started on the ovale attys (only used 2) so time will tell.

Keep me posted! I've burned through 4 attys in a little over 2 weeks. I kept all but one and will try boiling them in hopes they will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

EricDykstra

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,il
Well I can tell you this. The wick is still the weak point. Not any different from joye version. The wick usually goes bad before anything else. Buy 2mm silica wick or stainless steel mesh. Boiling, cleaning with alcohol works great, but only for a limited time. Think in 9 months I have only purchased about 30 attys, because I rewick them. I do use dark juices that gum up the wick quicker.

greenskeeper805

Aug 6, 2013
Camarillo, CA
I wonder if the juice I have is what's been keeping mine operational for months. I clean them once a week on the weekends, burn the wick over a stove and dry burn the atty. I've have 2 go bad in the last 4 months, and by bad I mean that the coil stopped heating up. The only atty I have that tends to taste burnt is a low resistance one, and it only tastes bad on certain flavors when I forget which eGo C it's in. The juice I use all comes from CigNot 100% VG.

chefkeith

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
USA
I wonder if the juice I have is what's been keeping mine operational for months. I clean them once a week on the weekends, burn the wick over a stove and dry burn the atty. I've have 2 go bad in the last 4 months, and by bad I mean that the coil stopped heating up. The only atty I have that tends to taste burnt is a low resistance one, and it only tastes bad on certain flavors when I forget which eGo C it's in. The juice I use all comes from CigNot 100% VG.

I do a monthly cleaning instead of weekly, but follow a similar regiment. I've since went to just rewicking with 2mm silica wicks as recommended by Eric, and it's so much faster than actually cleaning the original wicks. It's dirt cheap to boot.

amp79423

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2013
Lubbock, TX, USA
I do a monthly cleaning instead of weekly, but follow a similar regiment. I've since went to just rewicking with 2mm silica wicks as recommended by Eric, and it's so much faster than actually cleaning the original wicks. It's dirt cheap to boot.

Here's me showing my inexperience...when you say rewicking, are you referring to replacing the short wick that runs through the spike or the portion of wick material that runs through the coil or both?

chefkeith

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
USA
Here's me showing my inexperience...when you say rewicking, are you referring to replacing the short wick that runs through the spike or the portion of wick material that runs through the coil or both?

I'm talking about the wick running through the spike. The wick in the coil, I imagine, would be tricky to replace, and for me, not worth the time and effort. The wick in the spike is dead simple on the other hand, and makes much more sense to me to replace it than clean the old one. I paid around two bucks for several feet of silica wick that will probably last me years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread