POP! Goes the Lemo...2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KineticMind

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2014
Georgia
Got my Lemo 2 in the mail last week and have really been digging it so far. Vapor production is pretty wild for a non-rda. Flavor is decent enough with the right drip tip.

But I'm having a wicked popping issue that I can't seem to get rid of.

I'm still using the .5 ohm coil that it came with from the factory, and have swapped the cotton out for Japanese fluff. I'm not over or under wicking - just enough to run down the side of the build deck into the channels - and I'm making sure that it can slide relatively effortlessly through the coil when dry, yet not so loose that it doesn't make contact with all sides of the coil. In essence, I'm relatively certain I'm not mucking it up.

The popping rears its ugly head at first fire, EVERY fire, sending a poof of vapor and hot liquid flying through the wide bore drip tip and airflow holes, then mellows out and hits fine. But it does this every time, whether I'm taking a vape every few minutes or every 20.

Has my cotton gone weird? Should I try wicking with some organic fluff balls again? Is this completely normal and to be disregarded? I've been using Kayfuns practically since I started, so maybe this is normal behavior for the wider bore rta's... I dunno.

JDC1958

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2015
Got my Lemo 2 in the mail last week and have really been digging it so far. Vapor production is pretty wild for a non-RDA. Flavor is decent enough with the right drip tip.

I'm still using the .5 ohm coil that it came with from the factory, and have swapped the cotton out for Japanese fluff. I'm not over or under wicking - just enough to run down the side of the build deck into the channels - and I'm making sure that it can slide relatively effortlessly through the coil when dry, yet not so loose that it doesn't make contact with all sides of the coil. In essence, I'm relatively certain I'm not mucking it up.

The popping rears its ugly head at first fire, EVERY fire, sending a poof of vapor and hot liquid flying through the wide bore drip tip and airflow holes, then mellows out and hits fine. But it does this every time, whether I'm taking a vape every few minutes or every 20.

Has my cotton gone weird? Should I try wicking with some organic fluff balls again? Is this completely normal and to be disregarded? I've been using Kayfuns practically since I started, so maybe this is normal behavior for the wider bore RTA's... I dunno.
I got the popping on my 1st refill but after three hits its settled in. I just figure its because laying on the side to fill it, let some of the juice out on the cotton on the side that’s laying up.

Wish I could be more help; but this is my 1st time with it also.

Reactions: KineticMind

HighPlainsPuffer

Jul 9, 2015
in flux
I've had my lemo 2 for 3 or so months, it's always popped on that first puff of the day, and relatively commonly upon random vapes. It's the tank. I've never had a dry hit on it, have done at least a dozen builds, with at least 4 different wires. @suprtrkr or @roxynoodle may have a fix for the popping, but I sure haven't found one.

KineticMind

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2014
Georgia
I got the popping on my 1st refill but after three hits its settled in. I just figure its because laying on the side to fill it, let some of the juice out on the cotton on the side that’s laying up.

It shouldn't be due to the filling process, as I'm getting the loud, almost startling, pop each time I fire it, irrespective of when it was last filled.

I've had my lemo 2 for 3 or so months, it's always popped on that first puff of the day, and relatively commonly upon random vapes. It's the tank. I've never had a dry hit on it, have done at least a dozen builds, with at least 4 different wires. @suprtrkr or @roxynoodle may have a fix for the popping, but I sure haven't found one.

I appreciate the feedback, nonetheless. Glad to know it's not just me. I've not had any dry hits, either, so I suppose I can't be too terribly picky about the popping.

I forgot to mention, I'm routinely vaping at 25-35W. If I go below 20W, the popping is negligent or entirely non-existent. I don't prefer vaping at lower watts, though, so that's not much of a cure for me.

JDC1958

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2015
Something else I have noticed. I am using a pretty thick juice. 65VG/35PG to 70VG/30PG. I get air bubbles that have not worked themselves out yet, so I tilt and let them rise. Maybe that’s why I am not getting as much popping? Then again, maybe that’s just stopping me from getting dry hits with a high VG juice. I don't really know; but that is what I am checking when I pick it up and right before I hit it a few times in a row.

Reactions: KineticMind

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Mine do it too, and I have never had a fix. Actually, I've never looked for one; I think it's part of the charm. I have always thought-- utterly without evidence, just a guess-- it's because the huge chimney in the tank-- love that 6mm chimney, it's breathes beautifully freely-- is so big it never gets vaped completely clean and the remaining vapor in the area condenses when it sits and drips back down on the coil, flooding it slightly. Next time you fire it, that juice drop flashes to vapor once the coil comes up to temp, with resulting popping noise. In any event, it seems to happen to me after it has been sitting for a while, but not otherwise. Ignore it, is my advice.

KineticMind

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2014
Georgia
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

The popping is a minor annoyance, really. I've just been firing, let it pop, then taking a vape as usual. The most frustrating issue is the hot liquid jetting out on my lips/face/etc if I'm holding it too close. I'll keep improvising with cotton to see if I can get it to stabilize, and if so, I'll post what I did. Until then, I'm still digging this little RTA.

Reactions: Zombo

DP2Raja

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
New Mexico
I have cured the popping by making sure my wick is tight in the coil. The more airspace between wick and coil the more popping I get. This is just my experience, no factual evidence, so take it with a grain of salt. I have never had an issue with dry hits or poor wicking with a tight wick. I vape 70/30 vg/pg and a tight wick always works. I have heard people talk about choking the flow with cotton too tight...I have never had that happen...but a loose wick almost always causes popping in my experience. It is not so tight that it distorts the coil, but very, very snug.

This supports what RoxyN and Zombo are saying.

DP2Raja

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
New Mexico
I guess I should clarify this by saying the tight wick cured my pops AND spitting...All coils seem to pop/crackle a bit, it's the spitting that is the real issue that seems to be cured with a tighter wick. And it REDUCES the popping. Again, just my experience on Lemo 2, MT-RTA, Aqua v2, Aromamizer, Tilemahos, GEM, and a slew of others.

phephner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2012
SF Bay Area
I have four Lemo 2's in rotation. I like them so much that when I found them on sale for 12 bucks on Black Friday I bought four more and put them in the 'Apocalypse' drawer.The following two videos were IMHO, essential in finding the perfect wicking technique for the Lemo 2.
A properly wicked Lemo 2 shouldn't pop or spit. Follow the instructions presented below; Spitback and popping will be a thing of the past

If you are re-wicking the stock coil in the L2 you will use less cotton than is shown in the Scottish Roll video. However your wick should still be somewhat difficult to pull through the coil.
The second video is self explanatory. In this case, length does matter.

Reactions: JDC1958

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Got my Lemo 2 in the mail last week and have really been digging it so far. Vapor production is pretty wild for a non-RDA. Flavor is decent enough with the right drip tip.

Has my cotton gone weird? Should I try wicking with some organic fluff balls again? Is this completely normal and to be disregarded? I've been using Kayfuns practically since I started, so maybe this is normal behavior for the wider bore RTA's... I dunno.

Sounds like the cotton needs to be tighter in the coil.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I guess I should clarify this by saying the tight wick cured my pops AND spitting...All coils seem to pop/crackle a bit, it's the spitting that is the real issue that seems to be cured with a tighter wick. And it REDUCES the popping. Again, just my experience on Lemo 2, MT-RTA, Aqua v2, Aromamizer, Tilemahos, GEM, and a slew of others.

You're right. The wick needs to be tight but not too tight

Start with a tight wick but able to slide without messing up the coil. When the wick is saturated cotton will expand and completely fill the coil.

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
As mentioned not enough wick, and too much juice getting in there

Also, apart from the snug but not tight wick, you should not have the wick covering the juice holes, the wick tails should just touch the deck, and after juicing the wick tails down and fitting the lower chimney, i poke a tiny screwdriver down the side of the lower chimney (located above and inline with the juice hole below) and make sure theres a clear gap between the wick and lower chimney all the way down to the juice hole, and if necessary gently push the wick back towards the airflow hole in the deck centre. Get it right and youll never get pops and youll never get a dry hit.

Oncve you get it right you can replicate it time and time again, its actually less fussy than it sounds and less than any other rebuildable tank ive owned or used.

Still my favourite tank ever.

KineticMind

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2014
Georgia
I've rewicked a few times and still get it at varying degrees. Thickness doesn't seem to make much difference. I cut the wick a little shorter than I had been, and it pops less, but is currently leaking through the air flow holes, so I'll have to cut a new one at the previous length.

It may just be me, but I've noticed a decent amount of liquid in my wide bore drip tips, so perhaps it's something to do with my chimney. I'll keep experimenting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread