Possible disadvantages of a squonker over a RTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
My biggest issue with squonking isn't actually with either my mod or squonking at all - it's to do with having a flavour that I can stand for however much juice the bottle can hold OR the refill bottle. I think I might have found an ADV flavour but at the moment I keep switching flavours faster than I can switch lanes on the freeway.

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
My biggest issue with squonking isn't actually with either my Mod or squonking at all - it's to do with having a flavour that I can stand for however much juice the bottle can hold OR the refill bottle. I think I might have found an ADV flavour but at the moment I keep switching flavours faster than I can switch lanes on the freeway.
Fill the bottle with a really light flavor (or even unflavored) that you like on its own but can go with anything (maybe a light vanilla chill, or a light tobacco), vape awhile, then drip some apple pie, or peach punch, or a nice cigar flavor, keep vaping and squonking till it fades away and drip something else. A few little 3ml bottles of your favorites and squonker full of something light can give plenty of variety through the day.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Silicone bottles do work better than the more available thin, soft plastic. For mods I only have REOSmod un-regulated. Really a good size factor with the Origen Little 16. Wattage with a full 18650 charge starts at about 15 watts and goes down to about 10 before I switch batteries, and that is pretty much the end of the day and 6-7ml.

For RTAs, I am currently using Zeus'. They don't seem to have any leakage at all. I have the glass bubble tanks and they don't break when the mod just falls over. I think the glass is a tad thicker.

Great hobby.

Reactions: stols001

alvitae

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2009
Oregon Usa
There is no drawback for me to squonking. I have a dual battery regulated mod so my batteries last me 24 hours. My mod is rod fed, Not bendy, leaky tube fed. It takes me about 6 seconds (yes I've timed it) to refill the bottle with 7 ml of juice. Changing flavors is even quicker because I have multiple bottles.

Over and under squonking? Maybe at first. But before long it's second nature and you don't even realize your doing it. And you always have perfectly saturated cotton.

Swoop03

Vaping Yinzer
Sep 28, 2018
Southwest PA, USA, Earth
I have a pico squeeze and a pulse 80w. They're both great devices. It still irks me having 1 battery so I opted to carry a spare with me in an endmill tube (square plastic sleeve cutting tools come in). I found what size fits my 18650s and 20700s and kept a few of them. They just get tossed in recycling.
I squonk on a Dead Rabbit and a Wasp Nano. The DR is pretty much impossible to over squonk, just dont lay it on its side after holding the bottle in for 20 seconds cause your brain stopped working and you forgot what you were doing. The wasp takes just the smallest little squeeze every 5-10 hits depending on the duration of the hit for me.

I'd say the biggest disadvantage is the size. I almost bought a Gbox until I held one in my hand. It's just too massive for me. The rage looks a bit smaller but I havent held or seen one in person. The pulse 80w is even a bit big. I prefer something like my aspire speeder or kbox mini for size.

Another problem is theres more parts to go wrong and a few extra cautions to take. Break or tear your squonk bottle? Juice everywhere. Over squonk a small rda? Juice everywhere. Knock over the squonk bottle while filling it? Juice everywhere.

You will most definitely go through more juice if you get a new dual coil rsa that's popular right now. You will need to have an external battery charger and some spare batts. Carry one or two with you.

I also still carry a bottle of juice on me, if the squonk gets empty and I'm lazy to stop for 6 seconds and fill it, then I just drip for a few days till I get around to it. Sometimes I fill it with flavor "a" then carry flavor "b" on me to have a nice mix or a random change in the day.

• Useful

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
Interesting discussion. I have two RTAs and one squonker, and I use the squonker very rarely. Why? My RTAs just produce a more intense flavor. What are your experiences concerning the flavor production of your squonkers vs your RTAs?
My RTAs: Vandyvape Berserker Mini MTL
RDA: Geekvape Ammit MTL.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Interesting discussion. I have two RTAs and one squonker, and I use the squonker very rarely. Why? My RTAs just produce a more intense flavor. What are your experiences concerning the flavor production of your squonkers vs your RTAs?
My RTAs: Vandyvape Berserker Mini MTL
RDA: Geekvape Ammit MTL.
For me, there exists only one RTA the flavor performance of which isn't necessarily worse (i.e., just different, so depending on what juice I'm vaping it can be either better or worse) than a top quality RDA, regardless of whether the top quality RDA in question uses squonking or not, albeit I prefer to drip instead of squonk for several important reasons (see my earlier post: Possible disadvantages of a squonker over a RTA ). It's the Reload RTA by Reload Vapor USA.

Reload RTA.jpg

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Squonkers do offer single handed RDA action, but at the cost of a proportionally bigger mod. I only tend to use an RDA at home anyway so sqounkins not really my bag. I had a Dripbox 1 which I hated and immediately PIFd, I also have a CoperVape squonker gathering dust in the back of a cupboard.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
For me, there exists only one RTA the flavor performance of which isn't necessarily worse (i.e., just different, so depending on what juice I'm vaping it can be either better or worse) than a top quality RDA, regardless of whether the top quality RDA in question uses squonking or not, albeit I prefer to drip instead of squonk for several important reasons (see my earlier post: Possible disadvantages of a squonker over a RTA ). It's the Reload RTA by Reload Vapor USA.

View attachment 785553
Thanks for your answer, I've also read your previous post, and I agree 100%: I do get better flavour out of my RDA when I drip, dripping the juice directly onto the coil makes a big difference. Actually, I got my RDA long before I bought a squonker mod, so at first (while I was dripping), I was happy with the flavour, but it was just too cumbersome for me, that's why I got a squonk mod (like a lot of squonkers, I guess). But since I'm squonking, the flavour just isn't as good, less intense than my Berserker, unless I oversquonk and risk getting juice in my mouth.

And thanks for your 'recommendation', I might get this RTA (if it's still available)
EDIT: It seems Reload only has DL atomisers, and I prefer MTL, in fact I don't even inhale (anymore), so I won't try out the Reload.

Last edited:

Mermaaan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
California
Thanks for your answer, I've also read your previous post, and I agree 100%: I do get better flavour out of my RDA when I drip, dripping the juice directly onto the coil makes a big difference. Actually, I got my RDA long before I bought a squonker mod, so at first (while I was dripping), I was happy with the flavour, but it was just too cumbersome for me, that's why I got a squonk mod (like a lot of squonkers, I guess). But since I'm squonking, the flavour just isn't as good, less intense than my Berserker, unless I oversquonk and risk getting juice in my mouth.

And thanks for your 'recommendation', I might get this RTA (if it's still available)
EDIT: It seems Reload only has DL atomisers, and I prefer MTL, in fact I don't even inhale (anymore), so I won't try out the Reload.

When squonking I prefer rdas where my build is close to the deck and the airflow designed so that when I squonk the coil is getting hit with juice immediately without leaking or having to wick it up from the deck. This gives me the same vape as if I dripped directly to the coil.

Look into the dvarw mtl rta if you want a more restricted tank that isn't a hassle to build or prone to leaking. It is a flavor machine. You can buy extra airflow inserts for it to customize airflow to your liking.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
And thanks for your 'recommendation', I might get this RTA (if it's still available)EDIT: It seems Reload only has DL atomisers, and I prefer MTL, in fact I don't even inhale (anymore), so I won't try out the Reload.

I would suggest the pulse X rda by vandy vape. That will work for a loose mtl closed right down and the squonk jets drip down straight onto the coils. Good luck.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I would suggest the pulse X rda by vandy vape. That will work for a loose mtl closed right down and the squonk jets drip down straight onto the coils. Good luck.
I wouldn't recommend anything from Vandy Vape unless I didn't like them very much.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
The biggest disadvantage of squonking over an RTA is the quality of the silicone used for the bottle. Don’t assume they are all of medical or food grade silicone. A pinch test can reveal if a filler was used with the silicone to which we have no idea of its composition or characteristic’s. Some bottles can retain odor which can contribute to the flavour….and not in a good way! Ones sensitivity to this will also play a role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread