Why don't I like my Squonker

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
Also seen such reports of auto firing – hence my comment on other components failing. But is auto firing happening due to a low resistance coil or some other fault? If we have a 0.06 ohm coil (like the OP), that is running ~20 watts (assuming), does auto firing connect that 0.06 resistance directly to the battery, or does it just trigger a switch to fire constantly at 20 watts? I agree that both scenarios are dangerous, but given the complexity of these circuits I have high doubts the atomizer is given a direct path to the battery in the event of a failure.

In simple terms, a regulated circuit separates the coil from the battery. If you ask for 50 watts at the coil, regardless of resistance, the circuit will request 50 watts from the battery. At the battery side this equates to power divided by voltage. Coil resistance on the battery side is not a factor (assuming within device limitations).
How can you be sure that the failing mod demands only 50W from the cells? It has happened that the wattage jumps to the max possible output.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
As long as you stay inside the cells CDR, even a failing mod shouldn't pose a serious risk, because the cells won't get hot to the point that they have to vent.
Depends on how the circuitry fails. Look at some simple DC-DC converter circuits and picture the various current paths in them depending on which component fails shorted. Not all of those paths go through the coil.

Reactions: MacTechVpr

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
How can you be sure that the failing mod demands only 50W from the cells? It has happened that the wattage jumps to the max possible output.

You’re right, I can’t be sure. Just as I can’t be sure about many things in life. But this conversation has evolved from someone claiming dangers with a 0.06 ohm coil. So what are those dangers? You brought up device failure which can happen regardless of coil resistance. So what is the correlation between coil resistance and device failure? Does one pose a higher risk of device failure or the intensity of such failure based on the resistance of their coil?

• Agree
Reactions: KurtVD

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
Edit: reading the thread more i noticed OP was using an ammit mtl rda, which imho never tasted or acted very good, it was put to rest quite quickly tbh and never used it or bothered with it again.
Quite clearly I should have shelved my Ammit a long time ago as well, it might as well be the reason why I don’t like squonking so far. One of these days I’ll try out the Maze V2 that came in the box with the squonk mod, even though that’s a DL.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Wow that’s really low! My resistance meter only has two digits . Get some 24Ga Ni200 wire and you should get a lot closer to that limit...
It was 24ga in parallel, I couldn't get the mod to go lower than 0.02Ω. I think the reported 0.007Ω was a "lookie what we can do" thing or it was something that was done in the lab during R&D of the FSK chip. The G2 is only a dual cell mod so the numbers don't quite add up to hit the reported minimum resistance.

The Slice, their single 26650 101W mod has a reported minimum resistance of 0.000001Ω which is even more ludicrous. Great little mod for the 50W and under range though and it did have an awesome 3A charger built into the LE version.

Needless to say HohmTech dropped out of the mod making industry to concentrate on battery production. It's too bad, because their TC implementation for Kanthal and Nichrome actually worked quite nicely.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
You’re right, I can’t be sure. Just as I can’t be sure about many things in life. But this conversation has evolved from someone claiming dangers with a 0.06 ohm coil. So what are those dangers? You brought up device failure which can happen regardless of coil resistance. So what is the correlation between coil resistance and device failure? Does one pose a higher risk of device failure or the intensity of such failure based on the resistance of their coil?
Yes.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand

jandrew

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2013
    Winnipeg
    Nope, but I know a bloke who does ;)

@jandrew - what's your pick outta these:

Here's some good flavour mtl RDAs:

Digiflavor Etna mtl RDA

Cthulhu 1928 MTL RDA

Vapefly Galaxies MTL RDA

Salix Styled MTL RDA
    I don't have a Salix, but I do have a couple of each of the Galaxies, 1928, and Etnas in active use and I do like all three. For someone newer to rebuildables, the 1928 and Galaxies are easier (the Etna requires removing builds to try a different airflow block), and the 1928, with its deeper well, is a little more forgiving for a new squonker.

Vapefly has a newer MTL RDA --- the Holic --- which, in terms of airflow and build deck, looks like an update to the Galaxies. I haven't tried it yet, but have a couple on the way.

bask

ECF Veteran
    Dec 17, 2012
    The Euroneous Zone
    They all look very nice (and very reasonably priced), do you own/use any of these? If so, which one would you recommend?
    Personally I love the Etna. It's really difficult to oversquonk, when you oversquonk the liquid doesn't get through the AF intake (at least with the 2x0.8mm AF insert). It is a pain to change the insert, but I'm a set and forget guy anyway. I just tried out the inserts without a build (and already pretty much knew I wanted to go for the 2x0.8mm inserts).

Vapefly Holic MTL RDA looks interesting.
    Vapefly Holic MTL RDA – VapeFly
    This seems to be an RDL RDA. The chamber is really big, so even though you could close off the af quite a bit, it probably won't taste as great.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread