Possible Food Coloring In Juice. Opinions PLEASE??

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGaulding

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Virginia, USA
First off, I'm not going to put the vendor name on blast & trash them. That's not why i'm here.
Secondly, I can't be positive that there is food coloring in their juice, but it sure does look like it to me.

Well I spoke with vendor "X" and they said that there is NO food coloring in their juice. I bought a ton of their flavors & each one is lightly colored matching it's description. Green Apple is light green & Cherry is light red.. you get the picture..

They say it's not colored, I say it is. So, what do I do with this juice.. Do I throw it out?

glasseye

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2012
NJ
There are certain flavoring suppliers whose concentrates are colored already. So I don't think they were lying to you, they probably didn't add any food coloring, it was already there. There are people who use these flavorings with no problems, and people who choose not to use them.

Then there is the tendency of e-liquids to change color. Reds, oranges and amber to browns usually.

It's up to your comfort level what you do with them. Have a look at Lorann flavorings to see what I mean about the colors being there already. I'm not saying that's what they use, it's just what came to mind.

schuff

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2013
Dickson, TN
I agree they probably are using flavoring that may already have coloring in it. The problem with that is whether the food coloring is all natural coming from seaweed, algae, plant seeds etc. or if it is synthetic. Personally I don't want to be vaping yellow 5 or blue 13 but that's a decision that has to be made on an individual basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BGaulding

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Virginia, USA
I've had juice change color over time. Many different shades in fact. But, these all came to me in every shade in the rainbow.

I've never run across colors like these before & I don't know if I should be concerned about it or not.

When I say every color in the rainbow, I'm not exaggerating! Blues, yellows, bright orange, pink, red and so on.

Last edited:

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
First off, I'm not going to put the vendor name on blast & trash them. That's not why i'm here.
Secondly, I can't be positive that there is food coloring in their juice, but it sure does look like it to me.

Well I spoke with vendor "X" and they said that there is NO food coloring in their juice. I bought a ton of their flavors & each one is lightly colored matching it's description. Green Apple is light green & Cherry is light red.. you get the picture..

They say it's not colored, I say it is. So, what do I do with this juice.. Do I throw it out?

It is the structure of the flavoring. I have Vanilla flavors from DIY sources that are dark brown to crystal clear. Also steeping can cause a color change. Some blenders may add coloring to get a desired affect. I find it had to believe Apple would be Green without the addition of something. Is it the maker of the flavoring or an addition of the blender? Hard to tell.

BGaulding

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Virginia, USA
It is the structure of the flavoring. I have Vanilla flavors from DIY sources that are dark brown to crystal clear. Also steeping can cause a color change. Some blenders may add coloring to get a desired affect. I find it had to believe Apple would be Green without the addition of something. Is it the maker of the flavoring or an addition of the blender? Hard to tell.

I haven't used a ton of vendors because I am still fairly new to vaping. But, the few I have used have no real colors in their juice. I'm use to seeing different shades of brown, amber even an almost yellow colored juice.

But these are sooo far from the norm. Grape "x" is purple, blue razz is blue. This is all new to me!

jrenae4

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2013
ES, MD
I find artificial dyes in general to be unnecessary. I avoid them in my, and my daughter's foods at all costs. They are derived from petroleum. Here's an article that sheds light on them in food. Real Food Tips: 7 Reasons I Hate Artificial Food Dyes - 100 Days of Real Food This is the food blog I follow - she follows the model of Michael Pollan (think Food Inc.) I certainly don't want to vape something green, there's no point. Did you know over the pond anything with artificial dyes requires a WARNING label? Yet our good ole FDA doesn't find that necessary. I pay attention to this sort of thing, and am happy about a lot of food suppliers listening and removing their artificial dyes, especially in kid-targeted items (gogurts, kraft mac and cheese, etc). Again, this is MY personal preference. If you find it necessary for your food or vape) to be a certain color, then have at it. I personally just don't. I believe there is a study that shows the red food dye may lead to ADHD. To each his own.

Last edited:

kslice917

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2013
North Canton, OH, USA
To be honest, I would be a little wary of those juices. We have several different flavor vendors, and as has been stated on here; our colors range from clear, to a yellow/amber, to brown - usually depending on how long they steep. We maybe have 1 flavor that's slightly red - but nothing too eccentric. (not trying to advertise, just stating)

The only other possibility is if they make their flavors from "concentrated extracts" which is where they actually extract the flavor from the fruit and through a process of boiling and freezing, they can concentrate the extracted flavor. But last I heard, this method doesn't product enough flavor for eJuice production. Even then, I'd imagine a Green Apple extract would be clear - but it could possibly have a hint of green in it, I suppose.

BGaulding

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Virginia, USA
To be honest, I would be a little wary of those juices. We have several different flavor vendors, and as has been stated on here; our colors range from clear, to a yellow/amber, to brown - usually depending on how long they steep. We maybe have 1 flavor that's slightly red - but nothing too eccentric. (not trying to advertise, just stating)

The only other possibility is if they make their flavors from "concentrated extracts" which is where they actually extract the flavor from the fruit and through a process of boiling and freezing, they can concentrate the extracted flavor. But last I heard, this method doesn't product enough flavor for eJuice production. Even then, I'd imagine a Green Apple extract would be clear - but it could possibly have a hint of green in it, I suppose.

That's why I posted here. I needed to get others input because I've never had juice that are colored like skittles. It worries me a little even though they say there's no color in them. Maybe I'll just let them be.. I don't want to vape anything I'm unsure of.

Sdh

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
U.S.
My thoughts are: This particular vendor needs to "vendor up" and place a warning on the E-liquid. It will take one person who has a true allergy to perform a lawsuit. One would have to use a whole bottle of Loranns candy flavoring to achieve the "colors". Many people do not use that particular flavoring due to dyes. Can anyone post pic's of the flavors from this particular vendor?

AnnieP65

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
PA, USA
My thoughts are: This particular vendor needs to "vendor up" and place a warning on the E-liquid. It will take one person who has a true allergy to perform a lawsuit. One would have to use a whole bottle of Loranns candy flavoring to achieve the "colors". Many people do not use that particular flavoring due to dyes. Can anyone post pic's of the flavors from this particular vendor?

This is the pink juice everyone is talking about from Cuttwood. Mannn...Strawberry Quik in a vape!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread