Possible Important Info Regarding Megalodon Switch!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigSteamyOnes

Sep 26, 2011
Brooklyn
My apologies if this has been discussed already (if so, feel free to put a bar of soap in a sock and whack away).

Recently my Don (aluminium version with brass switch) stopped locking properly; it would basically fire whether it was locked or not. Upon closer examination I noticed that the little post that is on the edge of the button had come loose and was hanging around free between the base and outer button of the switch.

At first, being dumb, I thought it had sheared off because I thought the little nub or post was part of the button (one piece). Turns out the little nub is made of steel and seated into a hole in the button.There's a couple possible reasons why it came loose. Either from repeatedly twisting the button to lock/unlock position or, the more likely reason: pressing the button on its edge rather than its center. I think pressing the button on its edge puts the little nub/post at a miniscule angle, making it rub against the inside of the little hole it goes into, basically working it free from the seating like a loose tooth.Here's how I fixed it (wish I had pics):

1. Remove the brass switch assembly, then take out the screw and spring.

2. Pry the flat metal battery flange off (be careful if using a screwdriver! Any microscopic ding on the brass threads will affect how the switch assembly screws back into the bottom Don sleeve!)

3. The little steel nub/post/thing will have probably fallen out after the flange comes off (Careful, it can get lost easily cause it's tiny!) take it and drop it through the hole in the switch base, lining it with the seating hole in the button.

4. Place an eyeglasses screwdriver over the post, firmly pressing it into the seating hole, and lightly tap it in with a hammer. It shouldn't take much to force it into the seating hole.

5. Replace the battery flange/washer thingy then the put the screw and spring back in and Bob's your creepy, middle-aged uncle who still lives with his mom.

The moral of this rambling post is "Always apply pressure to the center of your Don button". Most of us press it with the side of our pinkies (as it's a bottom button pv) so it's very easy to press it on its edge. This can be avoided by simply aligning a knuckle of the little finger over the button center (right on the adjuster screw). After awhile it becomes second nature. While this could be an isolated incident I thought I should at least give a heads up.

BTW, the Don rules!

Last edited:

BigSteamyOnes

Sep 26, 2011
Brooklyn
Actually now that you mention it, last time I cleaned the pv I had the button pushed in without any batteries and was buffing the button assembly by twisting it in a cloth with a bit of pressure. That's probably what really did it. I guess the point is not to apply any back and forth force (turning the button) when the locking pin is in the little hole.

I had the same thing happen while polishing mine on a buffer wheel. That little stub is just sort of press fit in. Every now and then I rotate the switch to the off position and give it a light tap on the button. It'll make sure the nub stays in.

Good thinking, I never thought to mention it.

Creniker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2011
Salt Lake
If you want another tip, its dont drop the aluminum don of any hard floor when its disassembled from a height of 3 or so feet. My middle section dented and it wouldnt screw together anymore. It was hell to get it to screw back together. Just a pro tip for you. Wish I had gone with SS, but whata yah going to do. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread