Possible to develop a PG allergy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kellycat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2013
Cary, NC, USA
Maybe not an allergy per-say, but at least a negative reaction to PG? Used to use 80/20 and now it kills my throat after a few drags if I try anything less than 60/40 or 50/50. Don't think it's flavorings as I haven't changed my rotation lately either. Hopefully it's something else causing my throat to be sensitive, maybe allergies, but I'm not dealing with any other symptoms, so it's a mystery to me. Hoping someone else might have been through the same thing and can comment as to whether it got better over time or not. Just grabbed a bottle of 70% VG 30% H2O to try, will see if that makes any kind of a difference at all when I get it..

Honestly, with all the PG we currently use in commercially available products I'd think you'd have determined a true PG allergy by now. I think it's the quantity/ratio you're using, try lowering your PG a hair in that equation. :)

I personally don't like "pure" VG juice at all, I get no throat hit and no feeling of having actually vaped, but that's just a personal thing. Again, I'd try lowering the ratio and then lowering it more until you find what works for you.

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
I dont knoiw what it is but I have a kind of abraision on my bottom lip from vaping. Ive not really tried to change up my mixture yet.
Has anyone else had an affect like this ?

Its kind like you go to the beach and get sunburn on your lip....just a little. Best way I know how to explain it. Been vaping several months now.

Kellycat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2013
Cary, NC, USA
Just throwing this out there, I've seen a few of these (PG/VG gave me hives, divorced my wife, ate my dog and skinned my cat) threads and they usually turned out to be something other than an allergy. That said, maybe you're vape is too hot? Or not getting enough airflow?

It's funny you say that..because, well, I just had a facepalm moment. Dry wick.. Can't believe I overlooked that. I should have known from how I asked the question too, because it doesn't happen immediately, only after a few hits, and pausing for a bit fixes it temporarily (juice wicks to the coil again in the meantime) so it seems what I blamed on my throat should actually be blamed on my brain! Slipped my mind that I've started using RBAs/RDAs more now too and of course forget to re-drip sometimes, or wind the coils too tight in my Evods choking the juice flow, both resulting in that burning sensation as the wick 'burns'.

I dont knoiw what it is but I have a kind of abraision on my bottom lip from vaping. Ive not really tried to change up my mixture yet.
Has anyone else had an affect like this ?

Its kind like you go to the beach and get sunburn on your lip....just a little. Best way I know how to explain it. Been vaping several months now.

Trying to picture this in my mind's eye..and having a tough time. Are you getting hot juice, or any kind of juice, spat out of your tank/carto/etc at all? That could be doing it.

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
It's funny you say that..because, well, I just had a facepalm moment. Dry wick.. Can't believe I overlooked that. I should have known from how I asked the question too, because it doesn't happen immediately, only after a few hits, and pausing for a bit fixes it temporarily (juice wicks to the coil again in the meantime) so it seems what I blamed on my throat should actually be blamed on my brain! Slipped my mind that I've started using RBAs/RDAs more now too and of course forget to re-drip sometimes, or wind the coils too tight in my Evods choking the juice flow, both resulting in that burning sensation as the wick 'burns'.

Trying to picture this in my mind's eye..and having a tough time. Are you getting hot juice, or any kind of juice, spat out of your tank/carto/etc at all? That could be doing it.

No... Its rare that I get juice coming out of the drip tip

I just have like...an unhealed area on the middle of my bottom lip. If you saw my lip, you would see a small area that is white... kinda like dead skin (no scabing or anything real yucky) . Its been like this for about three months now. The strang thing is, I vape from the corners of my mouth and it is not on the top lip or sides.

Its more of a curiosity thing to me, but wish that it would heal....

It could possibly be from something else, but I cant imagine what. I have recently got into DIY which I love. I think I will pick one or the other (pg/vg) and make some juice and try it for a week and see what happens. I would think that would be the only way to tell if it is from vaping or not.

Kellycat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2013
Cary, NC, USA

I just have like...an unhealed area on the middle of my bottom lip. If you saw my lip, you would see a small area that is white... kinda like dead skin (no scabing or anything real yucky) . Its been like this for about three months now. The strang thing is, I vape from the corners of my mouth and it is not on the top lip or sides.

It could possibly be from something else, but I cant imagine what. I have recently got into DIY which I love. I think I will pick one or the other (pg/vg) and make some juice and try it for a week and see what happens. I would think that would be the only way to tell if it is from vaping or not.

Just cause it crossed my mind, tried rubbing a little Vaseline on the affected area? Could just be drying out. If you're vaping from the corner of your mouth that would rule out irritation/abrasion from the drip tip/carto, which would have been my next suggestion as I suffered through that a bit until my skin toughened up a bit.

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington

That is a very long time to have a sore not heal. You should probably get it checked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread