Possible to "MOD" a new PT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrimmGreen

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2009
Carson City, Nevada, United States
now keep in mind i am not mechanically nor electronically inclined in any way shape or form...

... with that said , would it be possible to mod the PT to be come an un-wired stand alone device like the prodigy?... only smaller. All this talk about the Prodigy V2 or 3 or whatever that will have the same size adapters as the PT got me thinking , i really really like the size of the PT and it would be fantastic if it were a stand alone device like the Prodigy.

i would sacrifice a cut in power to have it be more portable , without a powerpack mind you... any modders think this would work?

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
grimm ... that is where v2 (or the new name for the smaller Prodigy) comes in to play ...

V2 (what we are calling it for now) will actually be the same size ... use the same USBpass adapters (so you don't need to purchase extra ones) ... We simply just need to use another contact post, add a battery and end cap, and we are good to go.

So yes ... that is the plan ... still a few weeks out until we are caught up on production, but that is the jist of it ... Will likely be 1/2" shorter than the PT Tube as well ..

GrimmGreen

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2009
Carson City, Nevada, United States
grimm ... that is where v2 (or the new name for the smaller Prodigy) comes in to play ...

V2 (what we are calling it for now) will actually be the same size ... use the same USBpass adapters (so you don't need to purchase extra ones) ... We simply just need to use another contact post, add a battery and end cap, and we are good to go.

So yes ... that is the plan ... still a few weeks out until we are caught up on production, but that is the jist of it ... Will likely be 1/2" shorter than the PT Tube as well ..

happy happy joy joy , that's awesome Steve , this PT is an AMAZING size , it just fits so well in your hand. I like holding it even when I'm not using it... but using it is pretty fun too :D

tescela

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009

Please make it 5V! :)

Say it will be, name your price, and I am ready to pre-order right now.

LuckySevens4U

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
USA
An option for two CR2 batteries would be nice. I'd shell out $$ for a smaller 5v device.

I would too. I really think now, I'd like to have a 5 v device but it has to be smaller, so I could use it to vape hardly any nic with or get to zero with still have a throat hit. That is what I'm going to want one for eventually. Just want it to be smaller than the PV1.

nevergonnaleavetn

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2009
I am perfectly happy with 3.7v, so I hope we get a choice.

Several months ago I was 10 seconds from pulling the trigger on a competitor's product promising cheaper, longer life batteries and better quality. Had it in my cart ready to buy when I happened on a post in this forum about a product being made right here in Tenn. :thumb:

I want desperately to support my neighbor but I need something smaller than the Prodigy and prefer 3.7v
I'm ready to buy, have been for months. Please Steve, don't make me buy from a competitor. :(

LuckySevens4U

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
USA
I have not tried anything higher. I am satisfied with 3.7v
I prefer 3.7v because...
1. longer battery life
2. don't need or want a big throat hit, I prefer smooth
3. don't want a juice hog, less juice used equals cost savings
does any of this make sense?

Yes, it makes sense and I agree, but I also feel if I want to move to zero nic, I want a throat hit, so I would really want a higher voltage only for that.

nevergonnaleavetn

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2009
So far I get a throat hit with 3.7v and menthol w/ low nic, although not like an
analog. But you're right... not much throat hit with 0 nic

Another reason I prefer 3.7v is cartridge use. Steve has recommended dripping with 5v.
I want the option to use a cartridge when driving.

Maybe we could get Steve to make V2 a dual voltage apparatus.
5v when we need or want a throat hit (for after dinner)
3.7v when we desire a smooth, relaxing vape (after extracurricular activities ;))

Steve, you're a smart guy, you can do this can't you?
Or would it end up too costly or too complicated resulting in problems?

Cause you know we want cheap, versatile and problem free. :D
(not necessarily in that order)

Or maybe 2 different devices with 2 different voltages to alternate between.
Or maybe 1 device with 2 different switches (1 w/resistor and 1 without) to alternate between.

Come on Steve... work with me here :)

Momof3

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
Midwest, USA
Steve said he had been using a cart at 5V without issues last I heard. I just used the 801 PD V1 with a cart at 5V to run errands for about an hour and all went well. I used a non inline batt 801 PT which should have meant 5V for months with carts with no issues.

Steve has also said he would at some point sell non-regulated switches to PD V1 owners separately, but so far I'm not sure that's even necessary. I had already bought 18650s when the whole switch resistor thing came up (I went with the resistor) and just to see if I could, I've been using them for about 1hr so far. While I can tell a difference in taste and throat hit (18650 batts cooler/smoother), I have to hold the button about 2 seconds longer and the vapor is not as dense, it is adequate. On par with just a regular batt.

This is with the 801 adapter. I haven't tried the 901 adapter yet. The 510 adapter with the 18650s I'm thinking might be just right with what I'm used to with the 510s. This is also with straight PG liquid as I've been busy and need to mix. I normally have VG mixed in and that might also make a notable difference.

I could easily see using the 801 w/cart, 18650s and VG liquid on long drives to minimize topping off and being satisfied. With the extra couple of seconds on the button though, I don't know if you would get a big increase in batt life.

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Mom ... You're 18650 batt is being regulated ... an extra .5ohm is being added to the resistance of the battery (not including the resistance of an 801 atty -- 3-3.5ohms)

So, with that said ... You are still not at full potential with where you're at. Now, use that 18650 on a non regulated switch, and you will likely see a world of difference :)

Momof3

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
Midwest, USA
"While I can tell a difference in taste and throat hit (18650 batts cooler/smoother)"...
which one tastes better?

Depends entirely on the liquid. Higher nic, stronger flavors (and I mean strong) I like at the lower voltage. Lower nic (which I've never been able to do before) weaker/non-existent flavors at the 5V. Who knew chocolate wasn't supposed to taste like wax?

Being able to cut nic, not having to add VG to everything and using up stuff I'd written off as too bland is great. I went all day on 2 CR123As and 1 18650 only changing up as I changed flavors/attys. I like them both.

Mom ... You're 18650 batt is being regulated ... an extra .5ohm is being added to the resistance of the battery (not including the resistance of an 801 atty -- 3-3.5ohms)

So, with that said ... You are still not at full potential with where you're at. Now, use that 18650 on a non regulated switch, and you will likely see a world of difference :)

True, but no reason to suffer with no Prodigy now until I can get the other switch. (I didn't miss anything did I. Are they available now?) It's not on par with my PT no, but definately doable and for me comparable with regular batts performance. Compared to 5V, regular batts suck, but if that's what someone wants...I say get it now and add the extra switch later. They certainly won't regret having the 5V later. I can't tell a diff between a 901 batt (1 wks use) and the PDV1 w/resistor and 18650.

It should be noted they are new 1st time use 18650s and I'm sure not only am I losing on the overall time, but the performance will drop with use overtime faster than without the resistor. But I still get to use and play with it while I wait. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread