Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
I've been trying to hunt down information about the Prodigy, but really haven't found anything that a noob like me can understand. Maybe I missed a post, or a page on PureSmoker.com, I don't know.

After hunting for a bit, I'm left thinking that I know the answers to the following questions, but to be sure I'd rather just ask. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. I put my assumptions in parentheses after each question, so you can just say "correct" if I'm right.

1 - Why would I choose a Prodigy over a Protege and vice-versa? (??)

2 - Why choose either one over any other device? I'm pretty sure that I know why I'd get one over a stock 901 or 510, etc, but what about comparing these to any of the other "big boys" like the Janty Stick, the Screwdriver, etc? (??)

3 - It looks like the Protege has lower voltage, 3.7v, versus the Prodigy's "
4.7 - 5.5v" - if this is true, what does this mean for me? (Cooler burn?)

4 - Though I'm new to a 510, I find that it's very inconsistent - sometimes I get a good tasty vape, but the next is much lighter, or more burnt tasting, etc. No two hits in a row are ever the same. I've read that "the big boys" are a lot more consistent. Can I expect fairly consistent vapes from a Prodigy and/or Protege? (yes)

5 - I purchased a 510 after much research on this forum. My wife loves it, and I'm just OK with it. I actually don't like the big throat hit that sometimes accompanies a 510 hit. More reading suggests that the 901 would be a better choice for me, because it tends to let the taste of the juice come through better than a 510. Would you say this is true? (Yes)

6 - If the above is true: Can the Prodigy/Protege adapters be switched out at will? That is, can I switch from a 510 to a 901 at any time? (yes)

7 - If I were to buy one of the kits - like "The Protege [Full Kit]" or "The Prodigy V1 (510)" - what else would I need? (just juice, spare atomizers and cartridges)

8 - Do any of the kits come with cartridges? The pages just list atomizers... (??)

9 - Are the atomizers used the standard, find-them-anywhere atomizers? Or are these attys made by PureSmoker? (standard)

10 - If the Prodigy uses standard attys, does that make it "just" a superlative battery? (Yes, it is "just" a battery that makes for a superlative, consistent, long-lasting vaping solution)

11 - Concerning the "PS Manual USBpass (Dura/510)" - since I already have 510 atomizers and cartridges, do I need anything else in addition to the passthrough? (No, just the USB PT and the adapter that comes with it)

Thanks!

Curtis

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
Nashville, TN
I've been trying to hunt down information about the Prodigy, but really haven't found anything that a noob like me can understand. Maybe I missed a post, or a page on PureSmoker.com, I don't know.

After hunting for a bit, I'm left thinking that I know the answers to the following questions, but to be sure I'd rather just ask. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. I put my assumptions in parentheses after each question, so you can just say "correct" if I'm right.

1 - Why would I choose a Prodigy over a Protege and vice-versa? (??)

More power and versatility: (Prodigy is 5V/3.7-6V,... Protege is 3.7)

2 - Why choose either one over any other device? I'm pretty sure that I know why I'd get one over a stock 901 or 510, etc, but what about comparing these to any of the other "big boys" like the Janty Stick, the Screwdriver, etc? (??)

Puresmoker is a pleasure to deal with. You can trust them to do what they say, and always make it right. It's right here in Tennessee, USA. I've never used a SD or a Janty Stick, they might be great, but I'm perfectly happy with the Prodigy as I'm sure I would be with the Protege.

3 - It looks like the Protege has lower voltage, 3.7v, versus the Prodigy's "
4.7 - 5.5v" - if this is true, what does this mean for me? (Cooler burn?)

I can only speculate, but the Protege should give you a vape similar to a standard 3.7V china made PV. 5V is too much for some i suppose.

4 - Though I'm new to a 510, I find that it's very inconsistent - sometimes I get a good tasty vape, but the next is much lighter, or more burnt tasting, etc. No two hits in a row are ever the same. I've read that "the big boys" are a lot more consistent. Can I expect fairly consistent vapes from a Prodigy and/or Protege? (yes)

As long as you've got fresh batteries and a good atty the Prodigy hits like a champ every time.

5 - I purchased a 510 after much research on this forum. My wife loves it, and I'm just OK with it. I actually don't like the big throat hit that sometimes accompanies a 510 hit. More reading suggests that the 901 would be a better choice for me, because it tends to let the taste of the juice come through better than a 510. Would you say this is true? (Yes)

My experiences with 510's and 901's have been very similar in taste, vapor, throat hit. I've never used them on a Prodigy so someone else will have to help you out here.

6 - If the above is true: Can the Prodigy/Protege adapters be switched out at will? That is, can I switch from a 510 to a 901 at any time? (yes)

Correct, but no switching between the Prodigy and Protege. They are different sized adapters. The Pass through adapters and the Protege adapters will be interchangeable from what I understand. As long as you have a 510 and a 901 adapter, Yes you can switch back and forth to your hearts content.

7 - If I were to buy one of the kits - like "The Protege [Full Kit]" or "The Prodigy V1 (510)" - what else would I need? (just juice, spare atomizers and cartridges)

Full Kit - Yes, all you'll need is juice, attys, carts, and additional adapters if you so desire.

8 - Do any of the kits come with cartridges? The pages just list atomizers... (??)

Nope, Puresmoker doesn't sell carts anymore.

9 - Are the atomizers used the standard, find-them-anywhere atomizers? Or are these attys made by PureSmoker? (standard)

Correct

10 - If the Prodigy uses standard attys, does that make it "just" a superlative battery? (Yes, it is "just" a battery that makes for a superlative, consistent, long-lasting vaping solution)

It's a USA manufactured PV that has been engineered to Steve's exact specifications to provide his "sweet spot" of vaping. It been designed to use digital camera batteries that can be obtained just about anywhere.

11 - Concerning the "PS Manual USBpass (Dura/510)" - since I already have 510 atomizers and cartridges, do I need anything else in addition to the passthrough? (No, just the USB PT and the adapter that comes with it)

Correct, You cant go wrong here. Spend 40 bucks and it works just as good if not better than the Prodigy. If you like the Pass you'll like the Prodigy.

Thanks!

I hope you are helped.:D

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
OK heres my take on them:

1) Prodigy is a bigger high voltage heavyweight. Or if you don't go in for the high voltage thing you have the option of using one very large battery (with 11 x times plus the power of a 901 battery). The Prodige is smaller, and more portable but the battery will massively outperform a standard e-cig battery.

2) Its a personal choice. The JS is a worthy device, but its mass produced and build quality leaves a bit to be desired IMO. The SD is a good bit of kit. Take a look at the design features, get the one you like the look of. They all do pretty much the same thing.

3) Correct (but see comments above as you have more than one battery configuration on the Prodigy)

4) Correct - one of these will give you a consistent power source. If you keep the juice topped up it'll give a consistent vape.

5) Correct (an M401 IMO is even better than a 901 for taste though)

6) Correct

7) Correct

8) ??? Just buy some cheap blank cartridges.

9) Standard AFAIK.

10) Absolutely. These are not complex devices - they are just power sources for an atomiser which are much better than your typical e-cig battery.

11) Correct

BTW I had a quick look at your blog :) Can you recommend any good dark rums? I like "Woods 100" for example.

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
Thanks, Curtis, and Papa.

Curtis: How does the Prodigy choose between voltages? Different batteries, or a switch of some sort?

Papa: As for carts, I like one-stop shopping. If I wanted to expand and get a 901, too, I'd have to get 901 carts some else.

BTW I had a quick look at your blog :) Can you recommend any good dark rums? I like "Woods 100" for example.
You're not going to find any dark rum like the Woods stuff. It's fairly unique - well, all dark rums seem to be unique, really. No two darks are alike.

Quality-wise, Gosling's Family Reserve is far ahead of anyone else - but for $65 a bottle I have a hard time recommending it. If you like Gosling's Black Seal and can afford a sipping version of it, *then* I can recommend it.

Beyond that, I did a comparison of 4 dark rums which may give you an idea of something else to try: 4 Dark Rums Scottes’ Rum Pages

Last edited:

Ellis

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2009
"Concerning the "PS Manual USBpass (Dura/510)" - since I already have 510 atomizers and cartridges, do I need anything else in addition to the passthrough? (No, just the USB PT and the adapter that comes with it)

Correct, You cant go wrong here. Spend 40 bucks and it works just as good if not better than the Prodigy. If you like the Pass you'll like the Prodigy"

This is new info to me. Where do I find this? I have not heard of the PS Manual USBpass (Dura/510). Detail on what this does please! Thanks

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
Thanks, I'll certainly look into some of the rum suggestions :) Woods is my favourite of the easily available dark "navy style" rums in the UK. Very nice, and at 100% proof hits the spot I find :)

As to how the Prodigy does different voltages - as standard it comes with 3v CR123A batteries and a switch which has a resistor in it. So basically - 2 x 3v CR123A's = 6v, and the resistor drops it to about 5v. Its modular, so say you wanted to run it at 6v, you would change the switch for one without a resistor. Physically, 2 x CR123A's are the same length as one 18650 battery, so instead of the CR123A's you could use one 3.7v 18650. These have capacities of up to 3000 mah. With the single 18650 battery its better to have the switch without the resistor, as you don't really want the voltage dropped with a single battery.

Curtis

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
Nashville, TN

Curtis

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
Nashville, TN
Curtis: How does the Prodigy choose between voltages? Different batteries, or a switch of some sort?

As to how the Prodigy does different voltages - as standard it comes with 3v CR123A batteries and a switch which has a resistor in it. So basically - 2 x 3v CR123A's = 6v, and the resistor drops it to about 5v. Its modular, so say you wanted to run it at 6v, you would change the switch for one without a resistor. Physically, 2 x CR123A's are the same length as one 18650 battery, so instead of the CR123A's you could use one 3.7v 18650. These have capacities of up to 3000 mah. With the single 18650 battery its better to have the switch without the resistor, as you don't really want the voltage dropped with a single battery.

Papa's got it.

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
I got my Prodigy last night. Yahoo!!

The switch was a little weird to me. I pressed it down, and nothing happened. Many presses later, still nothing.

I broke out the multi-meter, had my wife press the Prodigy button, and recorded 0 volts. I played with the batteries, tried again, and read what I thought was 6.7 volts. My wife mentioned that she had to press the button in quite hard - something I failed to do. So now there's no problem - I just have to press harder.

This morning on the drive to work I was thinking that the Prodigy vapor was harsher and had less flavor than the same nic-juice in my 510 or 901. This got me to thinking that the voltage was too high - it's almost twice what I'm used to.

1) From Papa's post above, my reading of 6.7 volts makes me think that I have the switch without a resistor.

2) This makes me think that I can purchase an 18650 battery and drop my Prodigy down to 3.7 volts.

3) And this would mean that I would need to order the switch with the resistor if I wanted to go to 5 volts.

4) If #3 is true, then something is up with the website. When I go to the page to order the switch, I am forced to "First Select Type" but there are no types listed in that drop-down box. Does this just mean they're out of stock?

Can anyone confirm my points above? Thanks!

kdd121s

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2009
US Central Standard Time
1) From Papa's post above, my reading of 6.7 volts makes me think that I have the switch without a resistor.

Simply disassemble the unit and check the switch for a resistor.

2) This makes me think that I can purchase an 18650 battery and drop my Prodigy down to 3.7 volts.

You can use the 18650 either way, just with diminished returns
via resistor.

3) And this would mean that I would need to order the switch with the resistor if I wanted to go to 5 volts.

Its always a good idea to have different parts for different
needs.

4) If #3 is true, then something is up with the website. When I go to the page to order the switch, I am forced to "First Select Type" but there are no types listed in that drop-down box. Does this just mean they're out of stock?

If I remember correctly, if the "Select Type" drop-box fails
to drop down for a selection, then the product is out of stock.
I would still ask Steve & Casey for the final verdict there.

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
You can use the 18650 either way, just with diminished returns via resistor.
Could you expand on that? From my long-ago electronics courses, having this resistor with an 18650 batt means that I should still get 3.7v but less amps, right?

Either way, what is the next effect that I will experience?

Thanks kdd.

Synthnadz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2009
Florida
Could you expand on that? From my long-ago electronics courses, having this resistor with an 18650 batt means that I should still get 3.7v but less amps, right?

Either way, what is the next effect that I will experience?

Thanks kdd.

What he's saying is this: With the resistor in place, using a single 18650 battery you will be vaping at just under 3 volts. Without the resistor and using the same battery, you'll be vaping at 3.7 volts.

kdd121s

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2009
US Central Standard Time
Resistor: According to Wikipedia

A resistor is a two-terminal electronic component that produces a voltage across its terminals that is proportional to the electric current through it in accordance with Ohm's law:

V = IR Resistors are elements of electrical networks and electronic circuits and are ubiquitous in most electronic equipment. Practical resistors can be made of various compounds and films, as well as resistance wire (wire made of a high-resistivity alloy, such as nickel/chrome).

The primary characteristics of a resistor are the resistance, the tolerance, maximum working voltage and the power rating. Other characteristics include temperature coefficient, noise, and inductance. Less well-known is critical resistance, the value below which power dissipation limits the maximum permitted current flow, and above which the limit is applied voltage. Critical resistance depends upon the materials constituting the resistor as well as its physical dimensions; it's determined by design.

Resistors can be integrated into hybrid and printed circuits, as well as integrated circuits. Size, and position of leads (or terminals) are relevant to equipment designers; resistors must be physically large enough not to overheat when dissipating their power.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread