Pre Vape Procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAJAsubohm

Mar 1, 2016
Hello, I have been building for awhile now. I have found that once I have built something and started vaping there is almost always a "gross" taste. Usually metallic, burnt, and cottony. I know that it is not the wick burning because I check it after a hit like that and it is not burnt. I assume it is due to impurities in the wick and coil. After a day on it, the flavours begin to start tasting great. I was wondering if there is a procedure after building but before vaping that gets rid of any impurities in the wick and coil. If anyone has any personal rituals that they do before I would love to hear them. Thank you

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hello, I have been building for awhile now. I have found that once I have built something and started vaping there is almost always a "gross" taste. Usually metallic, burnt, and cottony. I know that it is not the wick burning because I check it after a hit like that and it is not burnt. I assume it is due to impurities in the wick and coil. After a day on it, the flavours begin to start tasting great. I was wondering if there is a procedure after building but before vaping that gets rid of any impurities in the wick and coil. If anyone has any personal rituals that they do before I would love to hear them. Thank you

Do you Dry Burn your Coils before you put the Cotton in? And what Type of Cotton do you use?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
OP. Try Dry Burning your New Coils before you put the Cotton in. I like to also give the Deck/Coils a quick Rinse with warm tap water after I am done.

For Cotton, I use Muji Cotton Pads. I think is has a Clean (no real Taste) taste. And be sure to Prime the Cotton Fully with e-Liquid after you put it in your Coils.

If all this Still Fails, you might try using NiChrome 80 instead of Kanthal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tmcase

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I clean my wire with an alcohol pad (Isopropyl pads from a drugstore are fine) or you can use soap and water and then rinse your wire properly. After I built my coil, I dry burn it very gently (just a few pulses) to check the build and to burn off any remaining residue. Japanese organic cotton (Koh Gen Do, Labo, Shiseido) and rayon (cellucotton) are clean and don't require any special preparation, but make make sure you wash your hands before handling your wicks and keep your wicking material clean in sealed plastic bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread