Off Taste in Kayfun, help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

New2vaps

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
USA
Hi everyone, I have a kayfun EHPro plus V2. I am building the coil with a 3/32 drill bit using cotton, 1.5ohms. The vape production is great and it is wicking well. However, the taste, there is something I can't figure out. There is some kind of an off taste and I am not sure if it is the cotton or the coil.

I have tried organic cotton from walgreens and have also tried cotton bacon by wick n vape. Both give me that off taste. I don't get a burnt taste. Maybe a little ashy cottony taste. Hard to describe.

After I build the coil do I need to rinse the coil? I pulse fire it first and use tweazers to compress the coils in shape. That smell that comes out when you first do it is I think what I taste. I haven't seen anyone rinse the coil after they build it. I was wondering if anyone encountered that taste and what can I do to get rid of it.

Thank you

New2vaps

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
USA
Thank you for the responses. Yes the Kayfun has been cleaned thoroughly with soap and water several times. Also I have tried having the coil sit lower and higher. Same taste regardless. Actually I have now sitting lower, no gurgle and tighter draw. But I believe the taste is from pulsing the coil. When you first pulse the coil you get that ashy smell, that's kind of what the taste I get mixed with the cotton. I have tried torching the wire a little. Any ideas?

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
Hmmm...I dunno. I don't use a torch on any of my wires... unless I'm building my origen, or other vertical coil that doesn't have the space to compress after installed in the atty.

Honestly, some machine oil can get stuck really good in the airhole....

Don't have a build in it, take a pull. Do you taste anything?

Outside of that, need pics...up close and personal pictures..how the wick and juice channels look is important. They may not be cut out enough.. I don't like the original kayfun wicking channels. I like them opened up a little more..

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
Great point, nasca. Take a close up of the wick channels, another of the juice channels meeting on base, and the insulator on positive block...

Unless, you can identify the issue after checking those things...

This is an image of two clones... one with wells cut WAY WAY WAY too large, also a brass block. The other didn't even have them cut..
mu2ymena.jpg

New2vaps

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
USA
I am using Kanthal 28g from Temco. I took it apart and removed the coil and wick. I then rinsed it with water and smelled the base. The smell is there. So basically I washed again and this time I placing the the base in vodka to soak for about an hour. If it is not the base, then as nasca stated it could be the insulator. How can I tell if it is burnt? I unscrewed the bottom screw from the base and took a look at the white insulator, still looks white. How can I tell if the insulator is burnt?

Thanks again everyone

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
Edited top paragraph..
A kayfun insulator will start to melt where it's visual, where it's sandwiched by positive block and deck..

If you have some liquid that you're not going to use, or vg and pg, use that if the alcohol doesn't work. White vinegar works also..

Some people are surprised after having theirs a while...after it's leaked a good bit, a nice sludge suddenly is with the liquid leaking... but I don't know how that would go unnoticed prior to the "sludge discovery."

Last edited:

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
That's how those clones came to me...first tobeco russian91% clone... filed out wells, and friend's using it today.

The one with large wells was interesting...it was my first kayfun, so I was wondering why I was getting so much leaking...once I figured out the wicking, it was a dream. It's not functioning, and not a 1:1 clone with threading.

I used a file to fix the tobeco clone... takes a long time, but don't have a dremmel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread