Priming atomizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

John oakton

Apr 9, 2021
Thank you , I always have 2 units on the go so when an atomiser needs changing I change it and leave it overnight but I’ve just changed one 2 days ago and needed to change again after only one day and it needs changing again today . I put the first down to me trying to find the best temp setting but the second one I just set it at 12 d and not played around with it and after one day tastes burnt . They are both from the same co. But I’ve had them a long time but still sealed in the little plastic pacs ,

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
If you don’t prime your atomiser and just fill the tank and leave it steep overnight is that ok or not , I was once told by vape shop staff that if you steeped it for 20 mins there is no need to prime , true or false

Hi John and Welcome,
My wife uses drop in coils. They seem to have a longer life if primed properly.
Add a few drops in the center of the coil and a few around the feed holes, it only takes a couple seconds.
Which coils are you using and at what wattage?
Where did you buy the coils?
How long have you had the coils?
How often are you vaping and how do you vape? MTL like a cigarette or DTL like a hookah?

Cheers
I

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    You usually only have to prime it and let it set for about 5 minutes and you should get full flavor, anything beyond that is just extra. Several factors could come into play as to why you are not getting longevity of your coil. In setting the temperature did accidentally fire it higher than the coil's rated wattage capacity? Are you using a new juice that is darker or sweeter than before? You could have gotten a bad coil, that sometimes happens. Some people have been able to revive a coil by soaking it in vodka or everclear for a day or two, rinsing it off with water, then repriming it. It sometimes works, but not always. Me personally, once a coil is dead, it doesn't come back to it's former glory.

John oakton

Apr 9, 2021
    Hi yes I know how to prime but lazy it’s obviously necessary it’s just that I was told steeping for 20 mins negated it . I bought the coils from totally wicked they are 1.2 ohm and 3 yrs old , I needed to stop using sub ohms and found these in a drawer ,but still in sealed packets so thought be ok . I vape constantly always have 2 units on the go , how do I vape , never thought about it , I was a cigar smoker so vape like smoking a cigar , don’t like clouds of vapour , discrete is the word I’d use . I’ve ordered new ones but it will take a month to get to me

• Useful
    Reactions: Izan

John oakton

Apr 9, 2021
    You usually only have to prime it and let it set for about 5 minutes and you should get full flavor, anything beyond that is just extra. Several factors could come into play as to why you are not getting longevity of your coil. In setting the temperature did accidentally fire it higher than the coil's rated wattage capacity? Are you using a new juice that is darker or sweeter than before? You could have gotten a bad coil, that sometimes happens. Some people have been able to revive a coil by soaking it in vodka or everclear for a day or two, rinsing it off with water, then repriming it. It sometimes works, but not always. Me personally, once a coil is dead, it doesn't come back to it's former glory.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    It depends on a few factors. One important one being the atomizer itself. Some atomizers won't really soak in much or any juice (without priming) no matter how long you let it sit in a tank of juice. If soaking your particular atomizers for 20+ minutes works for you, then so be it. Just realize that if you change units and have to use a different atomizer, that method may not work that well.

Hi yes I know how to prime but lazy

That's beyond lazy. :D

For someone who lives in a country where it's not easy getting vape gear (as you have stated in your other thread), your best bet is to prime your coils properly in order to eliminate possibly wasting an atomizer just because you are too "lazy" to prime it. :?:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Have you thought about getting into rebuildable tanks, an RTA?

If he's too lazy to prime a factory coil head properly (which takes no skill and only a few seconds of time), I completely doubt he'd consider a rebuildable. :lol: (Even though in his particular situation he would be much better off with rebuildables).

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    To help improve the longevity of a coil it's not just about priming the coil and letting it sit for 10 or so minutes. It's also worth bedding the coil by initially setting it at a low wattage and taking a few draws first. Then increase the wattage gradually taking a few more draws each time until you reach your desired wattage setting.
    This should help improve the lifespan of your coil too.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    If you don’t prime your atomiser and just fill the tank and leave it steep overnight is that ok or not , I was once told by vape shop staff that if you steeped it for 20 mins there is no need to prime , true or false
    I have welcomed you before. Note that you are limited to the number of post in this forum.
    re: New Members - "How many posts do I need to..."
    In the future, you might want to re post in the ECF forum most closely representing your subject/question. For an example,you could repost in General Vaping Discussion and Chat:
    General Vaping Discussion
    Often times,you may receive more knowledgeable/germane information from the membership in the above/appropriate forums.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
    Sep 16, 2017
    I usually soak the wicking ports and the wick. Then I will fill the tank and close the airflow. Next I'll take several hard pulls on it without firing. After that, it's good to go. I've always done it this way and have never had a problem. No real need to let it sit for any amount of time.

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Last edited:

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    So what’s an RTA

Rebuildable tank atomizer. Instead of paying through the ear (and waiting a month) for coils you screw in, you get 20 cm of an appropriate wire, wrap it around a nail/screwdriver/coil jig/whatever works for you, stuff some cotton or rayon through it, and 10 minutes later you have a 10 cent (or pence) coil that vapes beautifully (at least after some practice wicking. The first few tries may fail to vape, vape anemically or leak over everything.)

The rebuildables forum is a good place to learn more and to get suggestions for RTAs that might suit you.

John oakton

Apr 9, 2021
    Rebuildable tank atomizer. Instead of paying through the ear (and waiting a month) for coils you screw in, you get 20 cm of an appropriate wire, wrap it around a nail/screwdriver/coil jig/whatever works for you, stuff some cotton or rayon through it, and 10 minutes later you have a 10 cent (or pence) coil that vapes beautifully (at least after some practice wicking. The first few tries may fail to vape, vape anemically or leak over everything.)

The rebuildables forum is a good place to learn more and to get suggestions for RTAs that might suit you.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread