Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Gdeal have you considered redesigning this mod to fit 22mm RTAs ala VTR or Kato Square?
Uh.. It's a BOTTOM-FEEDER.

The world is already awash in dna mods you can stick a tank on. But regulated bottom feeders are as rare as hen's teeth.

Last edited:

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
I'm confident this will work -- assuming the diode is robust enough to ensure that the fuse "blows" before the diode does (easy to test w/o the DNA in place, thus posing no risk to the DNA). The DNA should never see more reverse voltage than the forward voltage drop across the diode, which should protect it adequately.

But it's still two components instead of one, and it's really no easier to wire than a FET. I also don't understand why you think the FET needs to be mounted on a board. There's no reason why one can't solder 3 wires directly to it.

Again, I was basing this on the parts list in the discussion forum which states "fuses". So that tends to make one think that you're using fuses. If you are going through the trouble of protecting it from reverse battery insertion, why not add dead short protection? As for mounting, typically one mounts SMD type components instead of trying to float around a static sensitive device. I don't know which one you're using, but a lot of the circuits I saw for reverse battery protection circuits used a package type that make them conducive to mounting. Even the one Gdeal linked to earlier. Also a transistor does use energy to turn on The low voltage drop benefit, was only discussing source to drain. I am also curious about the DNA30 feedback capabilities for battery monitoring. Installing a FET inline would more than likely create the same scenario. It is in effect a diode that can be turned on or off. All I can say is try it. I never said the circuit I posted was better than another way. Only pointed out what I saw.

I have worked with electronics both professionally and as a hobby most of my life. Kataphraktos mentioned to me the other day that the beta group was trying to decide on reverse battery protection methods and this was just something I thought of which might be a possible way to accomplish. Really didn't expect a flogging from people who are trying to develop a beta design. Typically you would think they would want to see a plethora of scenarios to have more choice for a better final design. But hey, point taken, you'll are obviously much smarter than me. Sorry to have wasted a forum page. Time to go back to my easy chair anyway, this uses way too many brain cells which I am trying to kill.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Relax, nobody's flogging anyone.

The parts list does call for fuses; I believe the idea was that they would limit current enough in case of a reversed battery that they would prevent the DNA from being destroyed. That worked for one member of the beta creww, but not for others. We did indeed kick around doing it with a FET instead of fuses.

Remember, this is a DIY mod. Nothing prevents anyone from building it the way they want, whether that's with fuses, fuses and a diode, a FET, or bareback. I removed the fuses from my last build and went bareback after the fuses caused the DNA to reset every time I pressed the fire button. I suspect I got them too hot when I soldered then directly to the lower battery contact.

I like the FET better as a means of reverse battery protection because it simply never turns on if you install the battery backwards. With a diode and fuse, you've got a race which will blow first. As for power losses and effect on the DNA's ability to see the state of the battery, I believe they're about equal.

I did blow one DNA myself in a moment of inattention. It was in a very early build, which was not representative of the final design. Since then, I've simply been more careful about installing the battery. I always do a double-take before I put the upper back on. (Putting the battery in the lower backwards won't hurt anything until you install the upper).

Peace. :)

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
ok...enough drama...any idea is a good idea. Its just a mod and there are always new and better ways to do things.

Drunk-J...did you notice Rossums sub-title "Surly Curmudgeon" ..dont let that innocent Dr. Strangelove picture lure your in..... :)

If you have a way of squeezing more bling into the device..its my thread so feel free to post.

jakematic

Verified Member
Jun 1, 2014
Squonk Bottom Flats, NC
Semi gloss with polished bronze.
Slightly textured feel, easy to grip, grains throw off a subtle sparkle.

The gloss one is still too wet to handle.
Debating spraying one with matte/satin.

U3AUamg.jpg

jakematic

Verified Member
Jun 1, 2014
Squonk Bottom Flats, NC
Jake, what material is that? WSF? polished?

BSF
All I did was spray it with Minwax Poly per my previous post.

There's this weird sparkle to it that sucked me in.
It's about $6 more to get it dyed - it's originally made in WSF then dyed to a very thin level by SW.
Am planning to order some more in WSF and spray paint them, but for $3 extra bucks...... SW can dye them for me :D

I've been sacrificing parts and trying all this so everyone can get an idea of finishes.
For the record, I highly recommend sealing them. Period. End of story.

When a new part comes in I open the zip top bag carefully to let it acclimate.
Then I use nitrile gloves to handle until it's sprayed.

These things are very porous but beautiful, so I try to keep my grubby paws off them (HT to Rossum) until they are sealed.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's post - the new variety of metal rings and buttons are coming in :cool:

Semi-gloss poly on the left, 'raw' print on the right

WPywezg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread