Problem wih leaking cartos on my brand new Bella tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greatov

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
So this week I received a Bella tank and an Elegance tank from hoosiervapes. They are both absolutely beautiful and they vape amazingly. They are definitely worlds apart from the crappy dct tanks I've used in the past. The customer service is also amazing, they threw me a few extra punched boges for free with my order.

The only problem is....... My Bella tank completely just drains out through the 510 connection. I have no idea why this is happening. I've tried three different cartos (a boge, a kanger, and a smoktech). Same problem with all three. I follow the directions they give to a T and it actually vapes perfectly when I first fill it. When I take it off my provari or just set it down for a while it starts pouring liquid through the connection. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what could be happening, especially since it doesn't happen AT ALL on my elegance tank.

The last thing I've tried is to snap the cap on upside down so that the holes are both clear of liquid, hopefully this works.

Anyway, sorry for the long post but I was hoping someone can help me with this because I really do love these tanks and I want to solve this issue. Thanks!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Since this is happening with more than one cartomizer, I suspect a defective inner 0-ring in the bottom endcap. The outer o-rings are what holds the tube onto the endcaps. The inner o-ring (only in the bottom cap) fits between the cap and the carto, and is there to prevent juice from leaking from the tank and onto your Provari.

Empty your tank (if it is not already), rinse it under tap water and dry it off. Now remove the bottom endcap to inspect it.

You will easily see a black rubber gasket, or o-ring, on the outer side of the cap (see pic below). There should be a smaller gasket just like it on the inner side of the cap. Can you see it? I suspect that o-ring/gasket to have a nick in it or be missing entirely.

I'm quite sure that Hoosier sells replacement o-rings on their website. I've never had to replace o-rings myself; it seems like the outer o-rings would be relatively simple to replace as they stretch like a rubber band and can be slid over the endcap and into a special groove where it is supposed to sit. I don't have a clue how an inner o-ring is replaced.

Contact Hoosier and tell them your issue, and that another owner of a Bella Elegance tank thinks that you may have a bad inner o-ring. They'll advise you on what to do.

Bella_Phin_1.jpg You can see the black rubber gaskets that run horizontal on both endcaps in this pic. The bottom endcap will have a smaller gasket on the inner side that fits against the cartomizer.

Last edited:

Greatov

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Baditude, thanks for your quick response I appreciate it. I actually thought that may have been the problem too but I inspected it and it looks like it's fine unless there was a small nick I wasn't able to see.

The weird thing is that the leak is coming out of the center of the of the 510 connection (the center post I believe it's called the positive poll I.e. The inner part that doesn't thread down). The only thing I can think of is that there is some kind of pressure problem in the tank. I've tried my best to put the top cap on in a way so that only air is touching the punched holes.

I've also seen other people post similar problems but I'm hoping there's a fix. I will call HV and maybe head to the hardware store tomorrow to see if I can try a new o ring.

Anyway they are awesome tanks, I just hope I can figure out the problem.

Thanks for the advice though!

Cheers, Eric

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
What you describe with liquid leaking from the air hole sounds like a flooded cartomizer.

Did you replace the white rubber doughnut on the cartomizer after prepping it with liquid? I've read that doing that helps prevent flooding or leaking issues. The unique design of the Bella and Elegance top cap needs a very secure fit with the top of the carto, and I believe that rubber doughnut helps with that fit. Probably explains why the tank doesn't leak until it lays on its side. I bet this is the solution. Find a white rubber doughnut that your cartos come topped with, and replace one on the carto in the Bella. :thumb:

There is a thread in the tank sub-forum section here called "http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tanks/316886-show-us-your-bella-tank.html Perhaps describe your problem there and more users of this tank can offer suggestions.

Last edited:

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
Bad is the man. I worked in the industry and it doesn't take much to get an o ring to leak. You can buy a O ring tool kit at most hardware stores. The one I got has several different shaped hooks to use to remove and replace the O rings in small items. Once you use em you'll never know how you did without em. Glad to see another happy tank owner.

Baditude has a lot more experience with thanks than I do . This all come from over 27 years in a factory where I had to deal with it everyday.

Last edited:

Greatov

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
What you describe with liquid leaking from the air hole sounds like a flooded cartomizer.

Did you replace the white rubber doughnut on the cartomizer after prepping it with liquid? I've read that doing that helps prevent flooding or leaking issues. The unique design of the Bella and Elegance top cap needs a very secure fit with the top of the carto, and I believe that rubber doughnut helps with that fit. Probably explains why the tank doesn't leak until it lays on its side. I bet this is the solution. Find a white rubber doughnut that your cartos come topped with, and replace one on the carto in the Bella. :thumb:

There is a thread in the tank sub-forum section here called "http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tanks/316886-show-us-your-bella-tank.html Perhaps describe your problem there and more users of this tank can offer suggestions.

Yeah I actually have been using the runner stopper on the top, maybe I should have it protruding further out of the carto?

Also I have been leaving the tank stored vertically even when not on my device. I actually propped it over a paper towel with the tank suspended over the towel so I could verify if it was leaking and to what extent (it is).

Do you think I should try a carto with only one hole punched? I'm using a 50/50 blend, maybe it's somehow just flooding into it even when I'm not using it. It's weird though, I've slotted cartos before which are much bigger openings and never had this problem.

Yeah I checked that thread. There were a few people complaining of the same problem but the closest they came to a explanation was the change in atmospheric pressure caused it from walking out of their house. Haha interesting theory but I'm not convinced that's what the problem is.

Greatov

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bad is the man. I worked in the industry and it doesn't take much to get an o ring to leak. You can buy a O ring tool kit at most hardware stores. The one I got has several different shaped hooks to use to remove and replace the O rings in small items. Once you use em you'll never know how you did without em. Glad to see another happy tank owner.

Thanks man, I'm definitely going to do that. I'm eager to try to fix this problem quickly and I'd prefer not to wait for delivery. I also always wondered where to get one of those dentist-like tools that would be useful in removing an inner o ring

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Thanks man, I'm definitely going to do that. I'm eager to try to fix this problem quickly and I'd prefer not to wait for delivery. I also always wondered where to get one of those dentist-like tools that would be useful in removing an inner o ring

Any pharmacy or grocery store has them in their dental department. I could figure out removing one of those inner o-rings, but how do you replace it? It looks like it is just laying in a groove, but I can't figure out what keeps it there. Are they super stiff?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread