Problem with ego battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathi17

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2013
Stonington, ME, USA
I've tried searching, but haven't found an answer yet, and we are about to leave to go off the island before a snowstorm gets here.

My off brand ego type battery, which has only been charged a couple of times has something wrong. I charged it last night, let it rest for three or four hours, and when I went to use it the button glowed red instead of white when I pushed it to vape. I assume this means it's dead? I didn't try vaping, because it was making crackling noises.

I will be going to the cigarette shopper where I got it today, but they only have the same batteries, not the good ones, and Bangor is too far away to get a good one before the snow starts.

Is the red glowing battery dangerous? There is only a badly translated manual that comes with the kits that they sell, and it isn't much use.

CreepyLady

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Salem, MA, USA
It is probably styled after an eGo C with regulated and unregulated mode.

In regulated mode, the battery will always produce 3.2 volts from beginningof charge til it is exhausted producing a consistent vaping experience, then the battery will simply stop when it loses charge. In unregulated mode, the battery, when freshly charged, will output around 4.0 volts, with this amount lowering over time as it drains. Unregulated will give you some warning of the battery being drained and a stringer hit initially. Two different styles of vaping, to fine tune your likes.

To alternate between the two modes, by pressing the button for 5 seconds, this will cause the light to blink 3 times, indicating change between modes.

While in the unregulated mode, the indicator light will be orange.

(if this doesnt switch the mode and light color back then return)

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    It is probably styled after an eGo C with regulated and unregulated mode.

In regulated mode, the battery will always produce 3.2 volts from beginningof charge til it is exhausted producing a consistent vaping experience, then the battery will simply stop when it loses charge. In unregulated mode, the battery, when freshly charged, will output around 4.0 volts, with this amount lowering over time as it drains. Unregulated will give you some warning of the battery being drained and a stringer hit initially. Two different styles of vaping, to fine tune your likes.

To alternate between the two modes, by pressing the button for 5 seconds, this will cause the light to blink 3 times, indicating change between modes.

While in the unregulated mode, the indicator light will be orange.

(if this doesnt switch the mode and light color back then return)

Yeah, never heard of a Red light before, but yes on the Orange. I think only the Joye Upgrade has it tho?. She said it was a cheapy no-name....

SirSteve

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 10, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    If you had an topper on it the crackling you heard might have been from that. A clean coil can make that sound. If nothing was attached I would not use it as the battery alone should never make that sound. Also CreepyLady makes a good observation, your battery may be a clone of the Ego C, it might even say Ego C somewhere on the body.

Let us know what you find out, so many clones out there it is really hard to say how each variation handles the button light.

Edit, it is possible that her Ego is one of those that some companies try to pass off as VV with 3 modes. Of course it is possible that red means it is not charged. Hard to say without more information. And r77r7r with JoyeTech I believe you are correct, it is the Ego C Upgrade that does two modes, mine is also a passthrough.

Last edited:

CreepyLady

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 22, 2013
    Salem, MA, USA
    Yeah, never heard of a Red light before, but yes on the Orange. I think only the Joye Upgrade has it tho?. She said it was a cheapy no-name....

Ive seen a few cheapy deals with regulated and unregulated modes. Instead of blue and orange the lights on these were white and orangey-red. My guess - its at least possible. Fingers crossed for OP that this solves it!

No other ideas as to what would make the light change colors without being a purposeful feature :blink:

TinyTimberGal

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    picasaweb.google.com
    Some are also variable voltage. 3-5 clicks changes the voltage and the color of the fire button. It think the one I have changes it from whitish/pink to blue to red. And as was mentioned earlier, if you had a carto, clearo or tank attached, they can make a crackling or sizzling sound.

kathi17

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 30, 2013
    Stonington, ME, USA
    Thanks everyone, I couldn't get home yesterday because of the weather, and it was a hairy ride home today. Lots of rollovers.

It is something called Puff. They aren't cheap to buy, but they are not easy to find on the internet. It's 650, and not vv.

When I took it to the cigarette shopper yesterday, he kept playing with it. Sometimes it turned on, and sometimes it didn't, but no red light. He said it was okay and gave it back to me. I think he just didn't want to replace it. I don't think I will use it, it's too scary.

I did go to Bangor, and got another Vision Spinner. This one is 1300, and got a ProTank 3 to go on top. The tank came with the short coils, but I got two longer spares. I put one of the longer ones in. At first I hated it, and wasted half a bottle of juice. I had a problem getting any flavor or vapor, but now it seems to be working well on the Spinner at 4.8. I wish they had had the AeroTank, but they didn't, and I am liking it a lot, even though it uses a lot of juice.

I really appreciate all the help you guys gave me!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread