Problem with my Kensington USB Power Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curtis

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
Nashville, TN
Last night, I was happily vaping away on my Puresmoker Pass with the Kensington. Last I checked I had a full charge, but all of a sudden it went completely dead. I pressed the button and none of the lights lit up. I thought this strange, but plugged it in to charge. Nothing happened for a minute, then the Kensington came to life, with 4 led's lit and one flashing.

This confused me even further, so I took it off the charger and plugged the passthrough back up. It vaped fine for a few minutes then died again. I put it back on the charger and left it until it read a full charge.

I left it alone until this evening, then plugged up the passthrough. Once again it vaped fine for about a half hour then died in the same way. No led's. This time I plugged it into my laptop, and again it came back to life. I tried the passthrough again with the same result. Worked fine for a few minutes and died.

I just bought it two days ago, so I intend on exchanging it tomorrow. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

framitz

Moved On
May 24, 2009
RSM, CA
You got me interested... so... I just checked the resistance of e-juice and am surprised by the results!

I placed 2 drops on the bottom of a pill bottle in the little well and measured the resistance with my probes about 8mm apart. The resistance varied between 9 and 80 ohms, which might be low enough to bring it to overload. The atty alone is usually around 3.5 ohms, so it shouldn't make that much difference, but the little bit of heat might decrease the resistance further.

Before actually testing it I was asuming I would see around 500 ohms.

Please let us know if it keeps happening.

quovadis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
Florida USA
Last night, I was happily vaping away on my Puresmoker Pass with the Kensington. Last I checked I had a full charge, but all of a sudden it went completely dead. I pressed the button and none of the lights lit up. I thought this strange, but plugged it in to charge. Nothing happened for a minute, then the Kensington came to life, with 4 led's lit and one flashing.

This confused me even further, so I took it off the charger and plugged the passthrough back up. It vaped fine for a few minutes then died again. I put it back on the charger and left it until it read a full charge.

I left it alone until this evening, then plugged up the passthrough. Once again it vaped fine for about a half hour then died in the same way. No led's. This time I plugged it into my laptop, and again it came back to life. I tried the passthrough again with the same result. Worked fine for a few minutes and died.

I just bought it two days ago, so I intend on exchanging it tomorrow. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

SAME IDENTICAL PROBLEM WITH MINE.
GRRR !!! these prodigy issues are starting to overwhelm me.
Other than that the Pass through works great...:mad:

rfw2003

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Yantis, Texas
www.4x4mayhem.com
The issue wouldn't be more resistance it would be a lower resistance seen at the atty to cause the Kensington to go into protection mode. The main issue is, it's barely able to handle the output as it is, since the max output is 1.5 amps. at 3.2ohms which from what I've read is the nominal resistance of most atty's and at 5 volts, the atty is wanting to draw 1.5625 amps so if the resistance of the atty is lower then 3.2 ohms it's definatly going to be drawing more current and causing it to go into protection mode and shut down.

R.F.

Vapinginmyboots

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2009
Upstate NY, USA

Im having a very similar experience, starting 2night. The kensington with Puresmoker PS just "freezes" up on me sometimes, randomly. I push the button, no lights at all. I plug it into the charger to charge, even for 1 second, it unfreezes it. I have not had this problem before with the Kensington. I Hope this issue doesnt kill the powerpack. I was just about to start a post on this but found this one instead :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread