Problems Using Prebuilt Coils with Subtank Mini RBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
I've been trying to learn to use prebuilt coils on my Subtank Mini RBA with mixed success. I want to learn to build from scratch, but I decided I'd learn how to use the prebuilts first. I've got one coil that has lasted for more than a week, but the others work great at first, and then the amount of vapor they produce drops off sharply after 24 - 48 hours in use. I'm not a cloud chaser by means. I rarely vape above 14 W and I use high resistance coils and juice with a good amount of PG. Still, you need a certain amount of vapor to make a satisfying vape. I am also frequently getting a message on my mod that there's "no atomizer found."

What am I doing wrong, please?

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I've been trying to learn to use prebuilt coils on my Subtank Mini RBA with mixed success. I want to learn to build from scratch, but I decided I'd learn how to use the prebuilts first. I've got one coil that has lasted for more than a week, but the others work great at first, and then the amount of vapor they produce drops off sharply after 24 - 48 hours in use. I'm not a cloud chaser by means. I rarely vape above 14 W and I use high resistance coils and juice with a good amount of PG. Still, you need a certain amount of vapor to make a satisfying vape. I am also frequently getting a message on my mod that there's "no atomizer found."

What am I doing wrong, please?

Sounds like the coil is not making proper contact

You have to change wicks every 2-3 days. You don't have to toss tge coils.

Pull the wick gently. Dry burn Kanthal, Nichrome, or Stainless coils.

Don't dry burn Nickel or Titanium.

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Make sure it's not touching any other place besides where it screws in.

What ohms are the coils?

I have mine @ 1.5ohms at 10w.. it produce plenty of cloud .. been two weeks now and I just replaced the cotton on it yesterday after dry burning the gunk off the coil.

I'm not sure about what resistance these coils are, but I know they are higher than 1.0 resistance. I bought them from FastTech and it doesn't say what resistance they are on the label.

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Sounds like the coil is not making proper contact

You have to change wicks every 2-3 days. You don't have to toss tge coils.

Pull the wick gently. Dry burn Kanthal, Nichrome, or Stainless coils.

Don't dry burn Nickel or Titanium.

Thank you!

I had no idea the wick needed to be changed so often! Thank you!! I removed the wick on one last night, did the dry burn and rewicked.

How can I make sure the coil is making good contact?

LX1X

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2013
Fee State
Thank you!

I had no idea the wick needed to be changed so often! Thank you!! I removed the wick on one last night, did the dry burn and rewicked.

Check if it heat (turns orange) evenly.. if there is "hot spot".

Changing the wick depends on usage.. the cotton on mine was like new but the coil gunk up pretty good and blocked the air hole.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Thank you!

Just make sure tge RBA is screwed into tge base and tge screws in tge RBA deck are right. Don't put a LOT of torque on tge threads
Turn everything till it stops.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Thank you!

If you use Rayon you can go longer periods between wicking

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
What device you using? Check if it does have option to check resistance.

I just figured out how to check the resistance on the screen. I never noticed this before. The screen on my Eleaf Pico says it's a 2.04 resistance and on my EVIC VTwo Mini it says the resistance is 1.85.

Reactions: LX1X

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Check if it heat (turns orange) evenly.. if there is "hot spot".

Changing the wick depends on usage.. the cotton on mine was like new but the coil gunk up pretty good and blocked the air hole.

Okay. Good. Thanks!! Isn't it supposed to turn orange from the center out to the edges of the coil?

Reactions: LX1X

LX1X

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2013
Fee State
Okay. Good. Thanks!! Isn't it supposed to turn orange from the center out to the edges of the coil?
Yes..that's the ideal burn.

Based on what you two are telling me, should I:

Wait util the vapor production falls off again, then remove the wick, check to see that the leads are making good contact, dry burn, check for hot spots, rewick and vape away?

Am I leaving anything out?

Thank you very much!!

Here's the calc on your coil

9210be74ff6f75472c567f1e819dd8d3.jpg

Might want to lower the wattage or resistance. My 2cents.

LX1X

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2013
Fee State
I'll definitely lower the wattage. I've never seen that chart before! Thank you very much for the great advice!!

Vapers tools is free.. atleast last time I downloaded it on my android..

Evic two.. just googled.. if it's on battery mode.. the highest resistance should go no more than 1ohms.

If it's plugged in on USB power.. then 3ohms is max.. prolly why you getting error message.

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Evic two.. just googled.. if it's on battery mode.. the highest resistance should go no more than 1ohms.

If it's plugged in on USB power.. then 3ohms is max.. prolly why you getting error message.

I've got a replaceable battery in the EVIC VTwo. I had no idea there was a ceiling on what my resistance should be. I thought that was only relevant for low ohms. So I should make sure my resistance is no greater than 1.0 ohms?

LX1X

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2013
Fee State
I've got a replaceable battery in the EVIC VTwo. I had no idea there was a ceiling on what my resistance should be. I thought that was only relevant for low ohms. So I should make sure my resistance is no greater than 1.0 ohms?
eVic VTwo - Joyetech

That's how I read it.. depending on which mode it is on.

If it's using single 18650 battery.. it's draining it fast at 5v. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread