Problems with new joye 510

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCW49

Oct 22, 2012
Canada
Some e-liquid just arrived in the mail, so I set about trying out the joye 510 starter kit that arrived last week. I filled the cartridge as shown on youtube, connected the cartridge to the atomizer, and pressed the button. It made a loud gurgling noise and a pop sound, like something electrical that isn't meant to be. Just now I've tried pressing a button on the second cartridge I filled, another loud pop sound. From the five puffs I've taken the taste is a very bad burnt and chemical taste. I've followed the instructions, so I wonder if there is something wrong with the atomizers? Every time I try to use either of them this happens, so I give up for now.

Davenkay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2012
Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Are you using the Joytech "Mega cartridges"? I tried them for 1 day and tossed them out. Bought a Vivi Nova tank and never looked back. If you want to continue using the cartridge, dry burn it several times before vaping to burn the chemicals off the coil. Then make sure the juice is saturating the area of the coil. See if that helps.

RCW49

Oct 22, 2012
Canada
I'm just using the regular atomizer + cartridge that comes with the kit from Canvape. Checked out a dry burn method on youtube, pressed the button, and there was a huge pop. I actually think it will explode on me. How loud are e-cigs supposed to be? I always thought they were basically pretty quiet. Lots of weird gurgles, sizzles and pops with these 510's.

Last edited:

conflator

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2012
Canada
The popping sound is a little odd. Were you still getting heat off of them after that? The first time I tried dry burning one of those, I let it get to hot, there was a pop, and it died completely.

The plastic tanks that come with the eGo starter kit aren't the greatest. They do tend to leak, and juice gets down into the contacts. This reduces the amount of electricity actually getting to the atomizer head, and therefore the heat. This could be the source of the gurgling - more juice getting fed through the system than can be vaporized.

I would:

1) take the atomizer base and head off, wipe everything down with some kleenex or paper towel. Get into all the fiddly bits, but make sure you don't leave any tissue behind,

2) when vaping, don't draw as hard as you would with a cigarette. Those tanks seem to be a bit sensitive to that. I think drawing too hard may bring too much juice in contact with the atty, and it can't keep up. Try a long, slow draw.

3) maybe try a fresh atomizer head. There should have been five with the kit. Don't toss the others (unless you're getting no heat from them), but it wouldn't hurt to rule out atty failure.

4) make sure the plastic tank is well seated on the atomizer head. Push it all the way down, and give it a bit of a twist.

The kit that I got also had a couple of little silicon end caps for the tanks. I just set someone else up with one, and there's didn't have those, so you might not either. If you do, though, give them a try. They're easier to get on and off the tank, and they seal better around the atomizer head.

Ask if you have questions!

P1NkY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
Planet Earth
Hello RCW49 and welcome to ECF!

It is quite unusual for a standard resistance atomizer with a slim battery to crackle and pop loudly; cartomizers are much louder as are low resistance atomizers. It could happen, though, so I don't rule it out.

Did you blow out the factory primer fluid out of the atomizer prior to dry burning? That is one of the main causes for bad flavor in new setups. If you didn't, I'd suggest cleaning it out under hot tap water, blowing out the excess water and drying it out. I used to dry mine by holding it in tweezers and using a hair dryer on high pointed inside the atty for about a minute.

Inspect the bridge of the atomizer (the metallic mesh that comes into contact with the filler material in the cartridge) for any pieces of fiberfill stuck on it. The fiberfill is a type of plastic and burns if it dries and sticks to the hot metal mesh, burning the crap out of your throat while smelling awful. Remove any stuck pieces of filler on the mesh with tweezers. Just be sure its fiberfill and not the wicking material that sticks out under the bridge! You'll need that for proper wicking.

Lastly, inspect the cartridge for any loose strands of fiberfill poking out of it. I used to use a lighter to quickly singe them, leaving a flat surface.

Make sure the cartridge plastic is not being melted/burnt. If so, trim some (1 or 2mm) away.

Fill the cart with eliquid until it looks like a slushy on top. Add a drop or 2 to the bridge of the atty and try again.
If you still can't get the hang of carts+attys, try cartomizers (much easier) or drip 2 or 3 drops on the atty, put a drip tip or an empty cartridge (with no filler in it) and puff away (called "dripping").

Good luck!

conflator

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2012
Canada
I'll read your post carefully after I get back from buying some analogues in town (this is stressing me out), but I should say that this is just an analogue size joyetech 510 starter kit, not an ego (which I now wish I had gotten).

Ah, sorry, my mistake. Is this the one you're using? I'm not really familiar with that one. Does it have the cartridges with the poly fill for holding juice in them?

Advice about making sure everything's cleaned out is still applicable. If it's the cartridges with the poly fill, they may be slightly over-filled. I have a terrible habit of over filling my cartos, and I'll get a bit of a gurgle until I blow out the excess.

As for Indie73's comment - whatever works is the best kit. I didn't start out with the best set up, but it got me off cigs. That's the only important thing!

Edit: looks like P1nky's got you covered. One of the things I love about this forum - someone who knows what they're talking about always comes along :)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'll read your post carefully after I get back from buying some analogues in town (this is stressing me out), but I should say that this is just an analogue size joyetech 510 starter kit, not an ego (which I now wish I had gotten).

There is a Little Learning Curve to Switching to e-Cigs.

Don't Stress. You don't ave to do it All in One Day. Try Easing into it over the Next 3 Weeks.

For the Gurgle and Pop. That is Usually a Sign that the Cart is Leaking into the Atomizer. Try "Fluffing" up the Poly Fill in the Cart. Also, Fill the Cart Slowly. If you see e-Liquid start to Pool on the Top of the Filler, Stop Filling.

As to the Burned Taste when you First Used it. Sounds like you might not have Rinsed Out the Atty Before you Used it for the First Time.

Try Running the Hottest Tap Water you can Stand thru the Atty. Do it to Both the Cart and the Battery Side. Rinse it 3 or 4 Time Shaking and Blowing the Water Out between Rinses. Then Give it a Good Shake and Blow to get as Much Water as Possible out of the Atty.

Now you ready to try it again. You don't needed to Dry Out the Atty Completely. Just put Drip One Drop of e-Liquid into the Atty and put the Cart On.

The first couple of Hits will be weak until all the Water from the Rinsing is Gone. But after that you should be in Goos Shape.

Last thing, try taking Long Slow Hits vs. Short Hard Hits.

RCW49

Oct 22, 2012
Canada
Thanks so much for the advice everyone. :)

I rinsed the hell out of a couple of cartridges and blew the water out a bunch of times. I think that there must have been some plastic in the atty as that taste was god awful, and that popping sound seemed to be indicating that it would blow up in my face. As I had probably overfilled the first two cartridges I just left those and started two more. Just six drops this time and not the ten I saw recommended on youtube (a smaller dropper on there prob). No more creepy popping and gurgling sounds. There is still a little weird burnt taste, but I guess this goes away with using the atomizer?

A noob's first impressions of vaping: there's a chemical taste, but this may be the juices I chose, or perhaps some residual burnt taste from before. The juices are both 24 mg, one coconut cream the other hazelnut tobacco. At this point I can barely tell them apart, but there is at least some sweetness to the coconut cream. They both taste like chemicals, but perhaps my senses are still a little jaded from smoking the plastic earlier. I puff pretty lightly on medium strength analogues, so maybe I'm more of a taste person than a throat hit person.

Even though the taste still isn't there I'm very relieved that I didn't burn seventy bucks on a malfunctioning set-up. Without this resource I probably would have sent it all back and then been denied the refund because it was my own noobness.

Thanks again

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

A noob's first impressions of vaping: there's a chemical taste, but this may be the juices I chose, or perhaps some residual burnt taste from before. The juices are both 24 mg, one coconut cream the other hazelnut tobacco. At this point I can barely tell them apart, but there is at least some sweetness to the coconut cream. They both taste like chemicals, but perhaps my senses are still a little jaded from smoking the plastic earlier. I puff pretty lightly on medium strength analogues, so maybe I'm more of a taste person than a throat hit person.

Here is something else that will happen that you Should Know about.

And that is when you First receive an e-Liquid, it will have a certain taste. But after a week or so, the taste will Change slightly. Most times for the Better.

The term used around here (which BTW I Don't Like) is Steeping.

What Many people do is to get a New e-Liquid and taste it. If it tastes good they keep using it. If it is a Little Harsh or they are not crazy about it, they will put the e-Liquid in a Cool, Dark Place and let it sit for a Week or so.

It's kinda like letting Wine Mature.

So the plan should be when you find an e-Liquid that you like, is to Buy some More Now and not wait until you are about out. That way you can get the e-Liquid and let it sit for a Week or Longer and then use it.

Lastly. You going to have to do some Trial and Error to find the PG to VG Ratio that You like the Best. High PG makes my Throat Scratchy and is Harsh to me. And Very High VG doesn't work well with my Clearomizers. So it took some Time, and some Money on e-Lquids that I didn't like, to find the right Balance.

Once again, you don't have to switch to e-Cigarettes in One Day. In Fact, I think in Many Ways it is better to Ease into it for Many People.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Some e-liquid just arrived in the mail, so I set about trying out the joye 510 starter kit that arrived last week. I filled the cartridge as shown on youtube, connected the cartridge to the atomizer, and pressed the button. It made a loud gurgling noise and a pop sound, like something electrical that isn't meant to be. Just now I've tried pressing a button on the second cartridge I filled, another loud pop sound. From the five puffs I've taken the taste is a very bad burnt and chemical taste. I've followed the instructions, so I wonder if there is something wrong with the atomizers? Every time I try to use either of them this happens, so I give up for now.

First off some empty carts come with a primer fluid in the wicking from the factory, and it taste god awful. takes a little to burn it off even after rinsing.

second the cartos usually pop and sizzle when there is too much fluid and its dripping into the air tube behind the coil, sorta like a pine cone in the fire type cracking, the cheaper ones I used to buy did this, even when filled properly

third here the best way I found for filling blank cartos, pop the little cap off if it has one, then insert a tooth pick into the hole in the center, dont jam it down in there your just trying to block the hole, next while holding the carto at an angle. say 45 degrees, drip fluid slowly about 8 drops or so, let it sit for a minute to ensure the fluid goes to the bottom, then add some more.
sounds tedious but if your filling a few at a time it works out. usually a 510 carto will hold 10-15 drops no problem. after say 10 minutes from last fill take the tooth pick out , pop the cap on and blow through the top into the sink, onto a napkin,whatever, to remove any excess fluid that got in the air hole. some of the bad taste may also be fluid getting in your mouth, trust me it doesnt taste as good as it smells lol.

It sounds like a wicking issue you are experiencing, this is commom with a fresh dry cart, the fluid needs time to work its way all through the padding then into the wick for some fresh cart this can take a little while (which is why I would fill many at a time and set overnite).

as for the fluid some are just yukky, lol what you think you may like may not be what you end up vaping as your tastebuds will change while vaping.
the ecig kits arent the best but at least your trying dont give in and dont feel bad if you keep smoking while trying to get this right, rememeber it doesnt have to be all or none right now. I too know the chest pain thing and my first ecig drove me nuts while trying to get away from reg cigs.

after rereading a bit just a side note some of the fruitier, and exotic flavors dont have a strong hit so it may come off as your not getting much of a puff, and this will fool you into thinking its not working correctly. but puff aehile and ignore the hit part just to see if its working on the nic cravings.

Last edited:

RCW49

Oct 22, 2012
Canada
Thanks ZoiDman for your insights. :) I've taken notes about the PG VG issues. I'll do anything to avoid the chemical taste. I've been vaping on the coconut cream pie for a couple of hours and it is actually ok (sweet enough for a duMaurier smoker but still very chemical tasting, which is ironic given the whole point of this). I wonder if some people gravitate towards fruity/sweet flavors and others are more inclined to more earthy flavors. The mysteries of the palate kind of thing. Just my musing no need to reply. I'll head to the e-liquid forum at some point to figure this one out

RCW49

Oct 22, 2012
Canada
Thanks for the advice Thrasher

When you are talking cartos with little holes, this must mean cartomizer... no? (I'm in Quebec and the francophone parlance is natural to this anglophone). I'm only using cartridges with atomizers... so 'make it look like a slushy and don't for god's sake overfill it' is the advice i've taken. If this is advice for cartomizers I can sort of visualize it and take it on board for future reference. I am forever confused between cartridges and cartomizers in these postings. Also, an odd thing was that the juice didn't smell remotely good to me. I can't stand the smell of any of the four I bought. It must be very true about the difference between what you think you will like, and what you actually will like.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
ahh i missed the cartridge part somehow, they are notorious for being unstable, and unreliable. in any sense get away from them and get either the cartomizers, or the very best would be a small tank, very little maintenance and much enjoyment.
but no matter what dont give up, some of the first tries are not that great for most of us and after a few tries when it works it work well and you go " ooooh now I get it"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread