Problems with Smok Tech DCT

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been vaping for almost half a year, but I solely have used various tanks like the iclear 16 and 30, and the kanger pro. I've heard cartomizers can enhance the taste and give stronger hits so I went out and bought a Smok Tech DCT. It has pyrex glass "viewing window" type thing to see how full it is. It also has a cartomizer that goes straight down the middle of this metal tube, with the coil/wick in the middle of that (if that makes any sense). I watched a youtube video on how to prime/fill it but I can't get a hit off of it for the life of me. The guy in the video had a syringe he used to soak all around the sides, but not personally having a syringe and not being able to buy them from any of my local vape shops (I think Oklahoma is like the only state left where you can't buy a syringe) I had to improvise. I just used the end of the bottle to slowly drip around the sides (going slowly enough to let it soak through) until juice started to drip out the bottom, which I dabbed a few times with a paper towel until it stopped. Then I pulled out the middle part about halfway giving me room to add juice into the actual tank. I filled it all most to the top of the first window (this particular brand has two windows separated). So now the cartomizer should be primed right? And I added juice so that it could continue to soak as I vape. I put on the clear cap/mouthpiece that came with it and noticed if you push it too hard the bottom pops out slightly. So I pushed the bottom back up and "twisted it in place" and then screwed it onto my Itaste MVP. No matter what voltage I set it at I can't get a hit AT ALL. I have no clue what I did wrong.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

greywolff

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
on mine i use a non standard cart has a much bigger hole than the standard one. al i have to do is fill it up suck on it like a straw then i let it sit for like 15 mins and its nicely primed

im not sure how the standard cart for the DCT works when i bought mine the store swapped me out from the begining

Last edited:
I don't own any DCT cartomizer tanks, but I know that all of the vape shops around here use them for their e-juice tasters/samplers, and so I just ordered 5 of them that I should have in a week or so. I know that they can be a pain to fill, and there are tutorials online that show how to do this. About your syringe question, sometimes you'll get a bottle of your e-juice that comes with a very narrow 'needle' type tip protruding out of the cap for sticking into narrow holes when you fill your tanks, eventually you'll end up with one if you keep buying juice. I have trouble getting syringes even here in So. Cal, but I live in OC, and they'll sell them in LA, you might want to look up online and see if there is a syringe exchange in your neighborhood, and ask them for one (tell them what it's for and that you need a BIG one like an IM one, not a little insulin one because it's too narrow, they might still take you for a dope fiend). What's easier than that, next time you are in a dentists/orthodontists/endodontists office ask them for one of those plastic syringes that's used for washing out the sockets left after a tooth gets pulled. They have those at drugstores, too, it's just a plastic syringe that has a narrow enough tip to fit in even the smallest fill hoe on an atomizer.
As for you problem with the cartomizer, I am curious, too. I would maybe tanke a guess and say that there is a possibility that you got too much liquid inside of it, and it might be a good idea to let it dry up for a while. Those cartos are only supposed to get mildly wet, I think, and too much liquid would make it impossible for the coil to get hot enough to vaporize all that liquid. Once you fill the tank, the liquid that you primed the carto with will not leak back out into the tank and it won't vape. So try removing the carto, dry it out a while, then just reinstall the carto with NO LIQUID this time, fill the tank, and then let the liquid from the tank prime the carto for a little while (probably 5-10 minutes), and try it then. If still no luck, then maybe it's a bad carto. Keep in mind that I don't own this thing, but I have seen them, and I understand how it works. I hope this helps you.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
1. Possibly flooded the carto. - Remove drip tip, turn it over with the connection end facing you and blow through the connection end on to a paper towel/napkin to remove the excess juice. wipe it off , reinstall the drip tip and connect to your device.

2. Possibly not making a connection to your device. - either pull out the center connection pin of the carto slightly, or pull up the center connection pin of your device using a small flat tip screwdriver or similar sized item (Even a straightened paper clip works..). Reconnect and try it.

1. Possibly flooded the carto. - Remove drip tip, turn it over with the connection end facing you and blow through the connection end on to a paper towel/napkin to remove the excess juice. wipe it off , reinstall the drip tip and connect to your device.

2. Possibly not making a connection to your device. - either pull out the center connection pin of the carto slightly, or pull up the center connection pin of your device using a small flat tip screwdriver or similar sized item (Even a straightened paper clip works..). Reconnect and try it.

I think you may be right with possibility number 1. I turned that thing over and blew into a paper towel and I swear I have to have blown out a couple mL of juice (and still getting drips coming out off and on when I blow in it). I definitely think I put way too much juice in the carto. It still isn't working but I'm assuming I need to let it dry out for awhile. Should I just let it sit, or is it ok to put it in front of a fan to expedite the process?

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I think you may be right with possibility number 1. I turned that thing over and blew into a paper towel and I swear I have to have blown out a couple mL of juice (and still getting drips coming out off and on when I blow in it). I definitely think I put way too much juice in the carto. It still isn't working but I'm assuming I need to let it dry out for awhile. Should I just let it sit, or is it ok to put it in front of a fan to expedite the process?

You would still be able to hear at least a sizzling coming from the DCT if it's firing when flooded. Also, you can take a paper towel/napkin and roll it down to under the carto diameter and stick it in the top to help dry it out some.

Newportlocal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2013
Orange County,Calif.
I use a snapped off piece of a plastic fork, or a toothpick in the center hole when I fill the carto. It is a smoketeck 3.2 two hole. After I soak the carto I do a quick thermometer shake. I do this with the carto all the way in the tank. Then I use a slap yo momma tool and push carto down enough to fill tank. Push carto back up and twist it on my provari add my drip tip and vape. Whole thing takes about a minute to do. I set my provari just a little over the 2.0 from the 3.2 carto. I.e. 5.4-5.7. Works great. Hopefully something of my method description helps you. Good luck.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I pushed the bottom back up and "twisted it in place" and then screwed it onto my Itaste MVP. No matter what voltage I set it at I can't get a hit AT ALL. I have no clue what I did wrong.
I'm quite experienced with cartotanks. I recently won an Innokin iTaste MVP which came with two iClear clearomizers in a raffle drawing. The clearos work fine (ego skirt threaded) on the MVP. However, none of my cartotanks work on the MVP, either with or without the beauty ring adaptor that came with the MVP.

I suspect there is a connector problem with 510 threaded delivery devices with at least some of the MVPs, as I know of at least one other poster here on ECF who has experienced the same issue with the MVP and cartotanks.

Maybe this identifies the problem you're having, but I have yet to find a solution yet. It's possible that a 510-510 adaptor on the beauty ring will work, or an eGo-510 adaptor without the beauty ring on the MVP, but that is going to look odd aesthetically with a gap between the tank and the beauty ring or MVP.

I'm hesitant to pull the center post up on the MVP to improve the electrical connection for 510 threaded delivery devices, fearing that doing so will cause the clearomizers to not fit properly. I am planning to donate my MVP to a new vapor who will be using clearomizers exclusively, and don't want to mess that up.

Last edited:
You would still be able to hear at least a sizzling coming from the DCT if it's firing when flooded. Also, you can take a paper towel/napkin and roll it down to under the carto diameter and stick it in the top to help dry it out some.

I don't really hear a sizzling, just the sound of air flowing up, but not a straight, clean air flow. It's not gurgling or anything either, it just sounds like the air is having trouble getting through or something...

I'm quite experienced with cartotanks. I recently won an Innokin iTaste MVP which came with two iClear clearomizers in a raffle drawing. The clearos work fine (ego skirt threaded) on the MVP. However, none of my cartotanks work on the MVP, either with or without the beauty ring adaptor that came with the MVP.

I suspect there is a connector problem with 510 threaded delivery devices with at least some of the MVPs, as I know of at least one other poster here on ECF who has experienced the same issue with the MVP and cartotanks.

Well, thats a bummer. The MVP is the only thing I have. Guess I'll have to go to the shop and find something cheap to use JUST for this particular carto/tank.

EDIT: Thank you for the information however. I just realized that post likely came off as ungrateful.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Well, thats a bummer. The MVP is the only thing I have. Guess I'll have to go to the shop and find something cheap to use JUST for this particular carto/tank.

EDIT: Thank you for the information however. I just realized that post likely came off as ungrateful.
I can understand your frustration and disappointment. Pulling the center pin up slightly with some needle-nose pliers might salvage your ability to use the tank on the MVP. I didn't desire to attempt that for the previously stated reasons.

You'll still need a backup battery device, regardless. Never depend upon just one mod in your vaping setup.

Last edited:

This tank sometimes has a suction problem. Meaning when you try and blow out juice from the cartomizer the pressure from the tank pulls more juice from the tank. Try taking your tank off of your tube and line up the view of juice to the hole of the carto. stand next to a mirror and try blowing out the juice from the drip tip. If you see bubbles come up that means there is too great of a suction (Think of a vaccum). What you'll need to do is take the cartomizer completely out of the tank and blow out the extra. Dont worry this doesnt happen all of the time only every once in a while. The more time you spend using it the better you'll get at problem solving.

If this doesnt work you might try a new cartomizer. Its never happened to me but if all else doesnt work then you might have a bunk carto, meaning the coil is broken and isnt completing the circuit like it should.

Invest in a decent digital multimeter so you can check your resistance, or volts. It helps in trying to isolate a problem.

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
I've been reading all the threads about this particular tank. I killed 3 cartos because I didn't know I needed to prime it first. Once I watched a youtube vid on how to do it I thought I was set but even after priming my juice tasted like dust. I came across another vid and this individual, after taking 3 or 4 quick pulls from the tip then tapped the bottom of the device on a table. I saw the bubbles and a little of the juice go down meaning it was going into the carto like I should have. I tried that figuring what the hell and it worked.

Prior to do that I thought I was going to have to trash the whole Pyrex experience and get something else to use instead. Although it's vaping nicely, every so often I can feel what taste like a dry hit. When that happens I just tap it on my leg and all is good.
I've only been vaping for a little under 2 weeks and all my knowledge has come from this forum and youtube.

gmoney$

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2013
California
so is the OP clear his battery does not connect with his carto and therefore no hit? Pick up an ego, ego twist for a back up, and I belive an ego-to-510 adapter will allow the DCT to connect and fire with your itaste. Funny today I too tried that technique of not priming but dry hitting the damn carto full, knowing full well how well drip priming works. Blown carto, burnt polyfill hit, yikes.

kushka

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2010
Marietta, GA
Just a couple of basic suggestions from a person who has used cartomizers for over three years.

Fill your cartomizer before putting it in the tank - there are many ways to do this as there are people putting out youtubes as how their way is best, but basically you can just drop liquid into the filler until saturated.

Then, before you put the carto into your tank, test it on your device to see if it is firing correctly and not broken or flooded or incompatible with your device etc. Just take a hit or two before putting it in the tank and filling up the tank. I would say on the average, one out of 10 carto's or bad, and it is better to find that out before filling your tank with eliquid and having a mess on your hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread