Prodigy V 3.1 Having issue with 510 adapter burning out dual cores and overheating batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulc35

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mason,Wv
Ok so I have other mods. bomshell, innovapor ultramax , the darwin,and I decided to get the wife a Prodigy V3.1.
I noticed right off that one of the complaints Grimm Green had about the V3 rattling was now gone.
As a matter of fact everything is quiet snug. So I'm reading the user guide for first use and I come across number 5-Take your attomizer, and Gently turn it into/onto the adapter. Once you feel resistance Stop! Continuing to crank the attomizer down will result in an atomizer short, which could damage both attomizer, and the unit itself. There will be a small gap between the atty and the adapter especially on the 510 adapter.

Hmm I thought., but ok. I use 510 dual core cartomizers most of the time. So thread it on until I feel resistance. Easy enough. Ok problem with that is that it works its way loose as you are moving about.
So give it just enough turn to make it not come loose. After 5 minutes batteries are dead and very hot.
Oh! I know what has happened a connection is being made even after releasing the button. The 510 adapter has a center post in it and if you tighten it to much you will push the pin down making a completed connection with the batteries.

Now in all fairness I could very well have a defective 510 adapter. I've got an email into puresmoker.
I looked at the pin from the underside to see if it would slide up. No seems pretty solid. I love the feel of the V3.1, but it seems tolerances are a tad to tight.

I don't understand why you would make an adapter with a center pin when you could have used a flat bottom (like ego) and when you screw in your atty, or carto it just stops tight. you don't have to worry about being so carefull as to stop the moment you feel resistance..

Dissapointed to say the least

has anyone else had this problem

PaulC

Last edited:

paulc35

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mason,Wv
If the whole tube got hot, I would say you have a bad battery. I have 4 Prodigy's and never had a problem unless is was a faulty battery.

I have more knowledge than that. not a bad battery. the center pin was making contact with the battery. Instructions tell you to be careful to only screw your atty until resistance is felt as over tightening could cause a short. 1st problem as mods go in pockets, put in auto consoles, purses all with the ability to work the entire atty, or carto lose enough to come off and secondly the bottom switch I really like except as I unscrew it to use it you end up unscrewing the bottom switch. I either have a defective mod, which I'm told never happens.
I know many love this mod, but when I'm told by the owner there is a bit of a learning curve in using their mod confirms my complaints. These are some serious problems for a mod user.

Like I've always said this is my opinion only..

PaulC

Dudeman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2009
New Bedford, MA
I didn't have that problem but I swear the battery tube on mine was at least 1mm short. I had to use an o-ring between the switch and battery tube or it would contsantly fire using the "suggested" batteries. And no, there were no more washers to remove.

I've since sold it. The button lock was the only thing I liked about it.

paulc35

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mason,Wv
I have the Prodigy V3, and it never had any issues at all, only learning curve i had to deal with is pressing the switch from the bottom :)

Well this is the V3.1 and I don't know if yours is the 510 adapter and even if they're different. The problem is you have to be very careful as to how tight, or snug would be a better word that you screw down the cartomizer, or if you get it just a little to snug a contat will be made shorting out the carto, and draining the batteries. Its easy to figure out how much force to use to get it to work, but that wasn't my point, which was it shouldn't be this way at all. As long as mods have been made and especially the US built ones they should be a simple thread on your atty, or carto until it stops..shouldn't have to get the torque wrench out. (so to speak). Its fine, but its something that would prevent me from buying another one. Now if I hadn't owned any other mods to compare then I would probably be content thinking this is normal.

Paul C

The Darwin

paulc35

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mason,Wv
I didn't have that problem but I swear the battery tube on mine was at least 1mm short. I had to use an o-ring between the switch and battery tube or it would contsantly fire using the "suggested" batteries. And no, there were no more washers to remove.

I've since sold it. The button lock was the only thing I liked about it.

Yes it has very tight tolerances or fit.. This is why tightening an atty, or carto down on that center pin is so critical. If its to snug and I use that word because if you say to tight it implies one may be trying to twist one off. You get it to snug and have contact with the batteries, which could be a hazzard as the batteries are firing their power until drained....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread