ProTank Bases and airy draw on PT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor7617

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
Humble, Texas, United States
Okay......purchased two PT1's. I liked them...so decided to as well try the PT2's. Liked the second version better so purchased some more from Discount Vapers. In total....I've now got 2-PT1's and 8-PT2's as wife and I move to glass over plastic.

On my second order from DV, found that a couple of the PT2's would not screw into the Tesla mod that wife and I are using. Hmmmm, seemed strange as all the others spin on without issue. They looked perfect, just wouldn't spin. So....sent a note to DV and he (Eric) replied that he'd send me a couple replacements as long as I returned the defective one. No problemo!!! Great customer service as we swapped emails for about 30 minutes or so.

During this discussion...Eric mentioned that Kanger only sells one base and the PT1 and PT2 are identical. So....to stop rambling and ask my questions:

1) Any one else had QC issues with the bases where the don't spin onto your battery?
2) If they are the same.....then any idea why the draw on the PT1 is more "airy"?? Could it be a small difference in the diameter of the air tube inside the tank? Just hoping I don't have that airy draw on the PT2 while using the replacement heads.

Thanks all....

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Original PT1 Base is Identical to PT2 Base with 1 exception
PT2 Base air holes are 1/2 the diameter. This leads to a tighter draw with the supplied heads.
You may wish to block 1 hole to match performance of PT2.

Bases can usually be worked to correct threading issue. Plating slag is likely suspect.
RSST had the same issues but could be thread chased to work properly.
Have an old Ego? work on/off until it will thread down.

Last edited:

jow350

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Pennsylvania, USA
Here is a link to GotVapes who identifies and sells both the V1 and V2 separately (with a great pic showing the difference between the 2):

Pro Tank I & II PLUS Davide Replacement Bases - Newer Version [gv-ProTankReplacementBase-Newer] - $2.45 : GotVapes.com, E-cigarette Supplies - Atomizers Cartomizers Mods Juice and more

Apparently Kanger does not differentiate between ProTank versions and now only ships the V2 base as a universal replacement base for both. I have also seen claims that the V2 base is stronger and will not break as easily as V1. I can't positively confirm this, however, I have broken 3 V1 bases so far and have yet to break a V2 base even after a several nasty drops.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Thanks all.........this helps. I'll be sure to take a close look at the bases the DV is sending me and (crossing my fingers) hoping it's the newer version!

To me, I thought the slotting was a bit deeper on the PT1....but with that picture, guess I need to look at the 510 connection stem.

Yes, the stem is where the actual work(metering) takes place. The air slots are only to avoid Flush mount issues on some devices.
As many have noticed, the protank sits up on many devices. the Slots basically do nothing in that instance.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Original PT1 Base is Identical to PT2 Base with 1 exception
PT2 Base air holes are 1/2 the diameter. This leads to a tighter draw with the supplied heads.
You may wish to block 1 hole to match performance of PT2.

Bases can usually be worked to correct threading issue. Plating slag is likely suspect.
RSST had the same issues but could be thread chased to work properly.
Have an old Ego? work on/off until it will thread down.

There is one other (relatively minor; almost undetectable) difference between the PT1 and PT2 base. The PT2 base has a strengthened 510 connection to address the problem of the tank/base breaking off of 510 connectors when dropped or knocked over. There were numerous threads here about folks having to use a pencil eraser to thread the broken part of the PT1 base out of the 510 socket.

They thought so highly of the newly designed 510 connection that they no longer include the "beauty ring" in the PT2 package. Not sure I'm a fan of that, but...

One great thing about KangerTech is that they listen to customer/retailer feedback and modify their designs to address concerns.

peterforpats

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2013
rounding third and heading home...
your best bet is to dump the kanger bases and get tatroe bases. they are extremely well made, designed for the protank(1 & 2), also goes on the all stainless tatroe tank. they are pricey but have a lifetime warranty, are perfectly machined, and have a much better draw than any of the protank bases. there is a reason they sell so many protank replacement bases, they stink! try a tatroe......

Taylor7617

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
Humble, Texas, United States
There is one other (relatively minor; almost undetectable) difference between the PT1 and PT2 base. The PT2 base has a strengthened 510 connection to address the problem of the tank/base breaking off of 510 connectors when dropped or knocked over. There were numerous threads here about folks having to use a pencil eraser to thread the broken part of the PT1 base out of the 510 socket.

They thought so highly of the newly designed 510 connection that they no longer include the "beauty ring" in the PT2 package. Not sure I'm a fan of that, but...One great thing about KangerTech is that they listen to customer/retailer feedback and modify their designs to address concerns.

Interesting..........on all the PT2 tanks I've bought, the packaging included a beauty ring. Hmmm

jow350

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Pennsylvania, USA
your best bet is to dump the kanger bases and get tatroe bases. they are extremely well made, designed for the protank(1 & 2), also goes on the all stainless tatroe tank. they are pricey but have a lifetime warranty, are perfectly machined, and have a much better draw than any of the protank bases. there is a reason they sell so many protank replacement bases, they stink! try a tatroe......

The V2 bases are actually working out pretty good for me, tighter draw and I haven't broken one yet. The Tatroe bases look good, but they cost more that I spend for each one of my ProTanks. IMHO, way too much, I spent less than $2 for the replacement Kangers...

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Interesting..........on all the PT2 tanks I've bought, the packaging included a beauty ring. Hmmm

Well, that's new. Maybe Kanger listened again and decided to start including them. Here's my PT2 package. Note that there's no place for the beauty ring to go. Only spaces for the base, the tank and the two coils it shipped with.

WcRhAhl.jpg

If they are now shipping with the ring, I will need to order a couple more. I like the security that thing provides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread