ProTank - my coils only last a couple days each!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

M_DuBb716

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Am I the only one?? I loveee the ProTank when it has a fresh new coil on it, huge thick plumes of great tasting vapor!! But after only 2 or 3 days of regular use, the replacement coil seems to go to crap..Noticably less vapor, dry hits, slight leaking/flooding, thinner vapor..

I love the ProTank and the coils aren't too expensive, but I don't think it's very economically-friendly having to put a brand-new coil on it every 2 days or so.. My buddy agrees with me.
.... When I was using T2's the coils would last me at least 2 weeks, sometimes longer - I think I may be switching back to T2's soon because they seem to give me better flavor and a more consistent vape, always gives me tons of thick flavorful vapor. And the iClear30 I got recently seems to last even longer with it's crazy wicks/coil, but the draw is too tight and it leaks into my mouth

Thanks! :p

Riatha

May 24, 2013
United States
I have been having the same problem with the pro tank. So I decided to try rebuilding them and for me, noticed a difference immediately. Still no idea how long it will last but I am on my 3rd day with my own coil and wick, so far so good. Even if I had to make a new wick/coil every 4 days or so, its okay because of how cheap the supplies are to do that. Not to mention how easy it is to rebuild.

M_DuBb716

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Thanks for the reply! This reminds me that it's probably time for me to learn how to rebuild my own coils/wicks!! I've heard nothing but great things about those of you who rebuild your coils yourself for the ProTank, your 'home-made' coils seem to produce way better results when it comes to flavor and vapor production, and seem to last wayy longer - from what I've read..

And the ProTank looks so nice on my Spinner, I really don't want to give up on it just yet.. Time for some research and youtube vids! Keep the feedback coming!!

M_DuBb716

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Yupp.. Day 3 on my new wick that was working fine yesterday and great the day before, is completely crapping out on me now - as expected...

Having to drag on it for 10 seconds just to get a little cloud of vapor, the vapors not thick at all. Dry hits. The flavors still kind of there, but it's hard to tell. I also noticed that the draw is getting noticeably tight, which is unusual and has never happened to me before with the PT - I dried the outside of the wicks off earlier by lightly rubbing them against a tissue, and I think I may have pushed too much wick into the coil-head where the coil is.
.. I just dragged my buddies MT3 and was so jealous at how much vapor and flavor it delivered, and especially jeleous when he told me he's had the same wick in it for 2 months!! My regular T3 just leaks all over and makes my juice taste plastic-like

Anybody else have anything to add?

Milkhoney

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2013
Austin
This thread was incredibly helpful to me: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...how-i-re-wick-my-t3s-cheesecloth-pictues.html

It works just as well for the Protank heads as it does on the T3. What I love, besides that it's cheap and easy, is that it's customizable. You can add more or less threads as you like until you find the perfect amount of wick, if you get dry hits you can pull a few threads out on the fly without tearing down the whole head.

rockb4

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2013
us
I have four protanks in use, another still in a box. I have had one head die(popped), but had noticed a drop in vapor production occasionally that was solved by a good hot water rinse.

I now have a routine when I change flavors, I rinse the tank and head, soak the head in Vodka overnight, rinse again and put it away until next use. I am rotating ten heads this way, have never removed a wick and am totally pleased with my protanks.

corey5188

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2013
Liberty, MO
I have 2 protanks I circulate throughout the day, I get about a week or more out of them before having to change the coil. I rebuild my own with cotton cheese cloth and 32g kanthal. I have one built with xc-116 ceramic braid wick, its on day 9 right now and still going strong. I rinsed and dry burned it 2 days ago and its working great still. This ceramic braid is amazing, its the only wicking material that I can use unicorn blood with and get consistency. Its super expensive though, so that's why only 1 out of my 9 coils have it, and its specifically for use with unicorn blood. Cheese cloth works amazing with all my MBV flavors.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Wow1420

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2013
Somewhere out there
What type of e-liquid are you using? Some flavors, dark and sweet mainly, seem to gunk up coils rather quickly.

I only rinse the coil in my Protank every 2nd or third fill and it's still working fine. It's just one of several tanks I rotate through and coils seem to last a long time in all of them.

Last edited:

Cheechako

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Arizona
I haven't received my Pro Tank yet, but with the similar Evod, I have recoiled and rewicked with cotton ball
material. I use a Brown Sugar mix juice and after about 2 tanks I simply take apart and pull out the old wick,
dry burn and insert a new cotton wick. Just like new!
I will do the same with the new Pro Tank.
A rinse and dry burn will probably bring new life to your poorly performing device...hopefully!

M_DuBb716

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Thanks for the replies everyone.. Rinsing and soaking them overnight in real warm water, and letting them dry out seems to be giving them a bit more life.. Also rearranging the flavor wicks and swithcing them out with new ones (I usually take about half of 1 wick out before 1st use,).. I'll have to get some Vodka or Iso-Alcohol to soak them in. Vodka seems wasteful though!! Lol just kidding, I could get Everclear

And what gives - I put a ProTank thread here and it gets moved to the "Tanks" sub-forum, and when I put this thread in "Tanks" it gets moved hear to "Clearos"? lol whutt?

M_DuBb716

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
And I am using a sweet flavor (Marshmallow mixed with some Chocolate) but it doesn't have too much color, and it's Reduced-PG so it's not real thick but not super thin either. The chocolate is slightly brown-colored but I use mostly Marshmallow e-liquid (75/25 Marsh/Choc) and it is a light amber/golden color, but it's nearly clear when i first purchase it.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Just rinse under hot water for a minute in the coil and into the ends of wick shake off, give a nice dry burn blow off ash, or rinse repete I it was really bad. Your ready to go. I do it about every 3 days but ymmv. That's all no soaking or anything. I even do it on the road sometimes a little water and dry burn goes a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread