PSA for those doing a rebuild on an older REO

Status
Not open for further replies.

CATastrophe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2011
Purradise (NETN)
Today we got our SO kits and proceeded to swap them out. I decided to do my 2+ year old Mini first in the event of a mishap, I wouldn't make the same mistake with my Grand.

I'm so glad I did!

Everything went perfectly. I went step by step according to Rob's video. Got everything all put back together, loaded up my bottle, slapped in a battery, and grabbed the hornet to put on.

It wouldn't thread on, it just spun. It was like the 510 on the REO grew a size. So I couldn't figure out what the problem was. Called the husband, and proved it. Because he wouldn't believe me if I just told him. :laugh: Tried a couple cartos, nothing but sit and spin.

Called Rob, and my 510 is plum wore out. So the Mini is off to the spa.

I don't take my RBAs off my mods unless I wash them. I always figure the less screwing and unscrewing the better. But things still wear out. How odd that the mini and hornet have been working flawlessly since forever. It's been several weeks since I'd taken the hornet off and I never noticed any wonkiness with the threads on the REO then.

I made sure to check my Grand's threading before I proceeded to tear out the guts for the shiny new ones. :)

So, the PSA is, BEFORE you insert a new pin, button, gaskets and all that jazz, check that your Atty will thread properly. If it doesn't thread, send it to Rob for a new 510 and then finish the install of the SO kit.

Oh, and the new kits are killer good! :headbang:

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
I had to have a new connector put in mine as well. I know mine was worn for quite a while before I sent it in. THis was after using a grand for 24/7 for about 2 1/2 years. I had dropped it many times on the atty and that didn't help. Finally the threads were so worn that no amount of screwing it on would help.

Beatnik

Verified Member
Jan 16, 2012
Memphis
THis was after using a grand for 24/7 for about 2 1/2 years. I had dropped it many times on the atty and that didn't help.

Yikes... I am pushing this threshold now. I never even considered this as this thing has been so reliable it seems like it could last literally forever. I just might have to snag that SL Grand I have been eyeballing so when this time does come I am not left out in the cold as my grand has been my only pv for quite some time now.

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
Yikes... I am pushing this threshold now. I never even considered this as this thing has been so reliable it seems like it could last literally forever. I just might have to snag that SL Grand I have been eyeballing so when this time does come I am not left out in the cold as my grand has been my only pv for quite some time now.

I can't even imagine not having a backup. I can't live that dangerously.

CATastrophe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2011
Purradise (NETN)

Yup, now would be a good time to get that new REO. ;)
Back up for your back ups, always!

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
i ballsed up a 510 when i dropped (hey - it fell awkwardly!) my Reo, so i had that fixed anyway.

i've heard various suggestions for cleaning the new firing pin and the only one i found reliable is alcohol. Pencil erasers - yeah - fine if you have those little ones on the end of pencils.

Fitting it all took 10 mins, but then i tried for all of maybe 10 seconds to reuse the existing pin before i just snapped it off. I'm not famous for my patience anyway.

T

CreepyLady

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Salem, MA, USA
I have a PSA to add that saved my ..... LOL - One of my Grands, the spring screw would just not give. Not for nothing was it coming out....well I searched and searched, and this post - was my savior so I thought with all of the new SO kits someone else may need this!

pdib said:
I'll tell you what I'd do in a pickle like that, Myrany. I'd try to turn the base of the spring. More leverage there. This might scratch the inside of the REO's bottom, so . . .. take it with a grain of non-scratchy salt . . . . . I'd lay the REO on it's back and press down on the other end of the spring plate/base with something like the tip of a largish flat head screwdriver (the front edge of it, but on the end furthest from the screw connection). If you can get it to move a few degrees, that might take enough pressure off the screw that you can turn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread