Purest and Highest Grade VG

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
This will be a long post, but I wanted to discuss where our VG is actually made (not merely who sells it). I also have a couple of questions at the end for anyone more versed in the topic than me.

I am in search of the highest grade of VG available. My goal was to discover who actually makes this stuff that different vendors sell. In any case, I ran across a few manufacturers, though my list probably isn't complete (I am sure there are a number of smaller manufacturers out there). Also this list is U.S. biased. Sorry, my European friends, but I am covering mostly U.S. based manufacturers here.

From my research, it appears that Dow's Optim (synthetic Glycerine that is UV spectroscopy analyzed) is likely the best available. Since it is synthetic it has less impurities than vegetable or tallow glycerine. The COA shows that Optim usually tests at 99.9% pure. However, good luck finding it anywhere. Dow appears to keep tight control of the supply chain and they have made it clear they will have nothing to do with the vaping industry.

Procter and Gamble (P&G chemical) makes a high grade of natural vegetable glycerin they call Superol KPO. It is non-GMO, 100% vegetable based, Kosher, USP/EP, etc. Just like with Dow, P&G does not do business with anything vaping or tobacco related. A number of years back some vapers here on ECF (and elsewhere) applied for free samples of the Superol. Some of them got free 5 gallon pails. After this went on for a while and more vapers learned about the samples, P&G caught on and stopped sending them. P&G has since made it clear they will not allow their products to be used for vaping. Of course, it would be possible to buy from a distributor (if they will sell it), but I haven't been able to find any.

Acme Hardesty is an oleochemical supplier based in the U.S. They do not "make" anything, but are merely distributors (i.e. they deal directly with the manufacturers). You can buy 1 gallon pails of glycerine from their site for $40 (free shipping) but I believe they only sell to businesses. They state it is manufactured by KLK (which is a Malaysian oleochemical manufacturer with plants in Asia and one in Germany). The trade name of KLK's glycerine is "Palmera" which, as the name implies, is based from palm oil. It is 99.7%, USP/EP/BP (United States, European, and British pharmacopeia) certified. Here is the description from Acme Hardesty's website:

"Acme-Hardesty offers several grades and varieties of Glycerine. Our vegetable-based (from Palm Oil or Palm Kernel Oil) USP Kosher Grade Glycerine 99.7% has numerous certifications, including RSPO, SAFE, BRC and GFSI. With all the major cosmetic producers announcing their intention to use only RSPO certified Palm Oil by 2013, it is becoming a critical requirement. Our USP palm-based Glycerine also meets the criteria for natural under the guidelines of FDA 21CFR101.22 “Natural”. All our palm-based Glycerine and Oleochemicals are non-GMO, allergen free, and BSE free.

Duda Diesel is an amazon seller of VG with very good prices. I contacted them by e-mail to ask a few questions. They told me they buy their glycerine from a large oleochemical distributor known as Brenntag who in turn sources it directly from ADM (Archer Daniels Midland). This glycerine is produced from soybean. It is 99.7% USP grade and made in the U.S. (ADM has two different plants that refine glycerine). ADM is big in the biodiesel industry (the largest player in the world) and it makes sense that they would have a large glycerol producing capacity. Duda Diesel has the original (photo copied) COA sheet on their website that clearly states it is produced by ADM. They are very transparent about where they get it and have nothing to hide. I like that.

Humco. Ah, the good old Humco. As you all know, this is the OTC pharmacy and Wal-Mart glycerine. The label states it is USP 99.5%. From my understanding, Humco does not actually make the glycerine but are distributors and packagers. Does anyone know where they source it? I would assume it is sourced from one of the "Big Ag" companies like ADM or Cargill (both produce large quantities of glycerine domestically) but that's just a guess.

Now a question for those of you in the know: Why is Humco advertising 99.5% purity while most others advertise 99.7%? According to my reading, the latest USP monograph only requires a 99% purity, so anything above that is not necessary to be in spec with the USP. Is this just marketing or does it have any real relevance?

Now, we get to Essential Depot. Does anyone know where they source their VG? Their COA sheet does not specify this as they have edited it with an "Essential Depot" background. I don't like this. I want my VG supplier to be transparent and post original copies of the COA -- not some generic reprinted version. This is not to say that ED's VG is of low quality -- I have no reason to believe that. But I would like to know where they source it. They claim it is 99.7%, USP, Kosher, non-GMO. Sounds a lot like the description above from Acme Hardesty who gets theirs from KLK in Malaysia. (Note: nothing against foreign produced glycerine, I am sure it passes all the specifications).

Bulk Apothecary does not list where they source their VG nor do they even supply a COA. Anyone know where they source it?

TL;DR

1) Why do some advertise 99.5% while some advertise 99.7%? Are these conforming to some standard I am not aware of?

2) Where can I get Dow Optim or P&G Superol?

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
Just Curious:

What would You be willing to Pay for 1 L of Dow Optim?

Well, one can buy liters of 99.7 USP glycerine for about $8 all day. For Dow, I *might* pay twice that. While I think it costs them more to produce, I don't think it's "that" much more considering the oversupply of glycerine in general (due to biodiesel). Dow actually had to shut down their Texas plant that made Optim because of the low demand. Now it's made in Germany.

In any case, do you have any? Where did you get it?

Reactions: Noble Gas

Noble Gas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
California
I know nothing about this, but it's a fascinating topic. I had no idea that VG came from different sources like that. Do they taste different?
I've been looking at buying some VG on amazon but have no clue which brands taste good and might be especially good for vaping. Any suggestions? Or are they pretty much all the same?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Well, one can buy liters of 99.7 USP glycerine for about $8 all day. For Dow, I *might* pay twice that. While I think it costs them more to produce, I don't think it's "that" much more considering the oversupply of glycerine in general (due to biodiesel). Dow actually had to shut down their Texas plant that made Optim because of the low demand. Now it's made in Germany.

In any case, do you have any? Where did you get it?

I think you are going to have to Dig a Little Deeper into your Wallet if you want to Vape Dow Optim.

Because one of the Last Times one of these Threads was done about Optim, someone posted a link to a Chem House that sold it.

It was $90 a Litter.

LOL

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I know nothing about this, but it's a fascinating topic. I had no idea that VG came from different sources like that. Do they taste different?
I've been looking at buying some VG on amazon but have no clue which brands taste good and might be especially good for vaping. Any suggestions? Or are they pretty much all the same?

I dunno?

I have bought VG from Wizard Labs, Heartland Vapes and even CVS. They all worked Fine. Some people swear by Humco brand Glycerin. But I have never used it.

BTW - Here is some more Info on VG by Rolygate.

Glycerine vapor and acrolein - the issues | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com

I get my PG and VG from amazon, brand name "Nature's Oil," but beyond that I know nothing about it, except that it tastes fine -- at least, it introduces no unpleasant taste or smell that I can detect. USP for both, and the VG is also Kosher.

I'm interested in this sourcing of VG because my son may get into vaping, and he is SEVERELY allergic to anything coconut or coconut-oil based; I have to wonder if that palm oil would give him a problem.

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Yes, though I use a great deal more of the Nature's Oil PG. The bottle of VG (16oz) I bought about a year ago is not quite even half gone. :D

Andria

Gotcha.

I'm the Direct Opposite.

I buy PG Nicotine Base. And Dilute it with nothing but VG. So I only go thru VG.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Gotcha.

I'm the Direct Opposite.

I buy PG Nicotine Base. And Dilute it with nothing but VG. So I only go thru VG.

I buy my nicotine as PG, the TH nic at vaperstek, but my WTA is 100% VG, so I don't have to add much VG at all, to reach 84/16. When I'm done with the WTA (end of Sept I hope), I'll use more of the plain VG.

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread