VG 99.5% vs 99.7%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
a friend gave me a 20oz bottle of VG. he is not a vaper, he is a home brewer. apparently VG is used in home brewing. the label says:
Glycerine
Crosby & Baker
99.7%
KOSHER

at the time, i thought all VG was created equal and did not know of the different grades. i used it in many mixes. everything worked out fine as far as i could tell, although it seems as if this would be Food Grade VG, not pharmecutical.

after finding out that VG has different grades, i checked into Humco VG from Walmart. Humco is USP, but its 99.5%. is the Crosby & Baker one better?

perhaps its just thicker. is that what the % tells you? is it the VG to water percentage perhaps? or is it the purity of the VG? perhaps neither.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
You're right, that sounds like food grade.

USP covers purity, handling, packaging, conditions of the packaging environment, and a specific list of contaminates that cannot be at certain levels. It's quite possible they started with USP VG and don't meet the handling and packaging requirements so it cannot be labeled USP. Or it could have contaminants that are on the list and above the specific levels for USP, but fine for food grade.

I cannot say which is "better", just that one has met the requirements to be USP and one has not.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
You're right, that sounds like food grade.

USP covers purity, handling, packaging, conditions of the packaging environment, and a specific list of contaminates that cannot be at certain levels. It's quite possible they started with USP VG and don't meet the handling and packaging requirements so it cannot be labeled USP. Or it could have contaminants that are on the list and above the specific levels for USP, but fine for food grade.

I cannot say which is "better", just that one has met the requirements to be USP and one has not.

thanks Hoosier! thats exactly what i was looking to find out. makes perfect sense. i went ahead and scored myself some Humco VG. its hard letting that free 20oz bottle of VG go, but not really. i got 6oz of Humco for like four bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread