• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Purified alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
Hey all,

I understand that purified alcohol is an essential ingredient for cleaning out atty's. The problem is I cannot find purified alcohol anywhere in Australia. I've tried the chemists, hobby shops, big department stores, everywhere. I am going to look in Bunnings but if they don't have it, I don't know where else to look. Anyone have any idea where I can get it or a good alternative to it, so I can clean attys out properly?

Thanks

Anthony

tearocks

Verified Member
Aug 17, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
You can get Isopropyl alcohol (ISO PRO/IPA) from Alltronics or D..k Smith's (DSE). It will evaporate pretty quickly but be sure to rinse the atty out fully before you start vaping again.
Ethanol is an alternative and works well (I get it from the work Lab).
DO NOT use methylated spirits or other denatured alcohols.

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
You can get Isopropyl alcohol (ISO PRO/IPA) from Alltronics or D..k Smith's (DSE). It will evaporate pretty quickly but be sure to rinse the atty out fully before you start vaping again.
Ethanol is an alternative and works well (I get it from the work Lab).
DO NOT use methylated spirits or other denatured alcohols.

Thanks for that! I would never have guessed DS has it.

When you say 'rinse' it out you mean with water after cleaning with the alcohol or you just mean rinse out the alcohol?

tearocks

Verified Member
Aug 17, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
I normally dry the IPA/ethanol out of the atty with air. If it's been a while, I'll give it a quick rinse with water just in case the IPA dislodged some stuff and hasn't flushed it out, then blow air through it again. You don't need to do this, but I normally do. IPA is relatively non-toxic and used in cleaning electronics components (hence DSE selling it). Good luck.

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
I normally dry the IPA/ethanol out of the atty with air. If it's been a while, I'll give it a quick rinse with water just in case the IPA dislodged some stuff and hasn't flushed it out, then blow air through it again. You don't need to do this, but I normally do. IPA is relatively non-toxic and used in cleaning electronics components (hence DSE selling it). Good luck.

Thanks Tearocks, that sounds like good advice.

For the record DS don't sell ISO Pro anymore. I am going to check Tandy out today.

When you say blow air through it you mean just plain blow into it with your mouth or do you use some other device like those pressurized air cans?

Anthony

I Personally dont like cleaning out my atties with any of those. I just give it a good blow out every now and again and they last ages. Most last me easy 2months no problem. I find when u start rinsing it out like that and what not you lose alot of the wicking etc. At the price atties are and the duration im getting out of them i really don't bother too much about it these days :D

halfcup

Jan 28, 2011
SE, US
I'm not from Oz either, but I think what you're wanting can be found in the liquor store. You might call it "neutral grain spirit" there.

addendum:
Did some looking... google says you need a Polish liquor called Spyritus
It's 95.5% Ethanol, which is 190proof, same as the Everclear we use here in the US

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=535091

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
A hot water rinse in the sink is usually good enough for me. I just let in run into the atty and drain out for a couple of minutes, blow it out, and let it dry for a few minutes right side up on a towel. Then, I drip several drops in to the atty and vape until it stabilizes.

I've used 70 percent rubbing alcohol with good results, but alcohol won't fix a badly crusted coil, as several videos have proved. It's always best to top off the cart before it gets dry and sticks to the bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread