Question about 901 carts

Status
Not open for further replies.

rshields

Feb 9, 2011
Charleston, SC
I started by buying a KR808d-1 from SmokeTip (very happy with them). From this forum I soon learned that the DSE901 atomizers would work on the 808.

I bought a couple of 901 atomizers mostly planning to try my hand at dripping. That is working pretty well (though I did just post a question about the use of drip tips).

The question for this post is about the cartridges. With the atomizer, I bought blank 901 catrtridges. Being used to the KR808 cartomizers, I was a little shocked to see how small they were, and they didn't come with "condoms" for both ends (they will dry out soon, won't they?. They seem to only hold about 10 drops, if that, of juice. What's worse is that I don't even get to use half that (5 drops or so) before the the atomizer wicking up more juice.

Can the 901 cartridges really be this bad? Or have I purchased poor cartridges? Am I doing something plain wrong? Maybe I am spoiled by well-above average content of KR808 cartomizers? If these 901 cartridges are typical, I can totally understand why the cartomizers became popular (and/or why others just decided to drip).

Please advise if my experience with these 901 cartridges is typical or if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks for the advice.

webbcm127

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2010
wenatchee WA
i use 901 carts but i do so using cart mods i.g blue foam, auto drip mod, ect, one of my favorites is to cut about 1/3 of the filler off...that all you have to do, it will hold more juice and wick pretty much all the juice, and to answer you question about if this is how the carts are then the answer is basically yes...they are not by far the best out there lol. i realy like 901 attys and i usually drip unless i have a lot of running around to do, try out a few different cart mods to see what works best for you, good luck and have a good night!-)

cskent

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Ohio
In my opinion carts aren't worth the hassle. I quit using them the moment I took my first vape from dripping. They don't hold enough extra juice to give them much advantage, you end up messing with the filler material just trying to get and keep them working right, and they cost a few $$ that I'd rather spend on juice. I have yet to find a cart that I'd bother with. I've tried 510's, 901's, and 4081's and none of them worked well enough to keep me using them. That being said, some people do like and use them regularly so maybe it's just not my cup-o-tea.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Yes...that's the 901 cart. I use 510 carts, but I've tried a couple of 901s (they're even smaller than the 510 small carts; I like the 510 mega carts...they're longer and hold more.) Anyway, I second the suggestions above to mod them. I use blue foam exclusively now, but at first a quick fix on all my carts was to take the filling out and cut it in half (or cut 1/3 off as suggested above.) That will help the wicking a lot. Many, many people drip with their attys instead of using the carts. I don't...I actually like carts and have been using them for over 7 months now successfully.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
That's why most people end up using cartomizers

If you have the round tip carts with the rectangular juice cup you could try using blue foam stuffing instead - precut pieces sold at strictlyejuice.com

Or whichever kind you have, try another cart. The white stuffing is inconsistent. I had one 901 cart that was wonderful and the next one was stuffing too tight and I just couldn't get it to work as well as the first one.

But it is worth it to have an atty and carts around in case you ever get caught short on cartos

X-Factor

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2011
Pennsylvania
Yes...that's the 901 cart. I use 510 carts, but I've tried a couple of 901s (they're even smaller than the 510 small carts; I like the 510 mega carts...they're longer and hold more.) Anyway, I second the suggestions above to mod them. I use blue foam exclusively now, but at first a quick fix on all my carts was to take the filling out and cut it in half (or cut 1/3 off as suggested above.) That will help the wicking a lot. Many, many people drip with their attys instead of using the carts. I don't...I actually like carts and have been using them for over 7 months now successfully.

How does cutting the filling help it wick better? Wont that make it so it doesn't even contact the atty's mesh?

rshields

Feb 9, 2011
Charleston, SC
Well, I have since tried the blue foam mod, and it does greatly improve the 901 carts. But even still, the carts just don't seem worth the trouble. Even with the blue foam mod, they still don't hold nearly as much as my cartomizers (though the blue foam mod at least ensures that they wick perfectly every time). So I now use cartomizers when I want the convenience of them or if I am just sitting at home I drip. No more carts for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread