Please explain the difference Riva w/901 adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

frisco

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2010
Asheville
I saw a Riva that comes with a 901 adapter. What is the difference? My understanding is that the Riva normally uses a KR808 cartomizer.

With the 901 adapter would that mean that you would have the option to use a cartomizer OR an atomizer with a cartridge?

Why do some people prefer the 3 part system of e cigs as opposed to the two part?

BiffRocko

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
The Riva uses a 510 atty by default. The adapter is going to let you use a 901, and if it's vented, KR808D-1 cartomizers as well.

There are several reasons why someone would want to use a 3 piece. They might prefer direct dripping. In other words, dripping juice directly onto the atty using a drip tip, or with no cart or tip, aka tailpiping.

Some also people prefer carts over cartomizers, since it's easy to burn the filler in cartomizers.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
and while there's the KR808d-1 cartomizer and the 510 cartomizer...

some like myself prefer the adapter and KR808d-1 cartomizer over the 510 atomizer on devices like the native 510 riva because the adapter adds length and I can adjust and tweak the airflow with the right adapter...and still use the cone on it without having to peal the label of the cartomizer..

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
A lot of people prefer the flavor of a 3-piece, as well. If you drip, the taste of the filler in carts and cartos is obvious. A lot of people just don't like that taste.

Even though the 510 is the most popular atty among ECF members (and myself), many really prefer the 901. They prefer it's cooler, more flavorful vapor. I can get giant clouds of vapor from a 901 with a direct-inhale.

mistinthewoods

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Brooklyn, MI
Okay, so the 510 is an atomizer? Is the 901 an atomizer also? What is the difference?
What is the difference between a 510 cartomizer and an kr808 cartomizer?

Yes. The difference between the models as far as performance goes is in the atomizer. The 901 atomizer produces more flavor than the 510. I think the kr808 does too. I use a Riva with the kr808 adapter and cartomizers quite often. The kr808 runs a bit hotter than the 510 cartomizer.
I have been suggesting the adapter lately as a way to try the different models without having to buy a new kit. The adapter is $2.50 at madvapes and a box of 808 cartos is about $8.00 almost anywhere. If you have the adapter you can use a 901 atty with it as well since the 808 and 901 have the same threads.

otrpu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2010
Colorado
both the diameter and the pitch. The 510 batt has a female fitting, the KR808 is also a female fitting. Sexual preference aside, to get these two to connect up, I need to use a connector, (converter), which has the proper male threading on each end. So, off to Mad Vapes I goes to purchase a couple of couplers. Pleased with the delivery time, but when they arrived I was in the middle of an eGo Super Mega coneless carto, and I didn't get around to trying the 808 to 510 hookup until a couple days ago. Everything bolted up fine, hit the button, and sucked till my eyes liked to pop into my head. This was not gonna work at all. But, I'm thick headed. So, I suck on that sucker for a couple days trying to get something outta the end of that carto cause I just purchased about 50 of um. Finally, in frustration I sent email to Mark at Mad Vapes describing my poor experience with the converter I'd received from them, and ask for something that worked or a solution. He informed me the converter has a flat blade screw driver slot and they can be screwed in/out to accommodate draw preference. Bingo! Life is good again. A full 360 turn out and I'm vaping my head off again. I haven't been at this long enough to discern differences in the quality of the vape tween the 510 and 808 cartos yet. As I understand it EM has both their original native 510 RIVa, (for 510 cartos), and now a native 901 RIVa is available. Which I assume bolts up direct to KR808 cartos without a converter. If I'm wrong, somebody knows more straighten me out.

Cheers,
otrpu

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread