Question about aluminum mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Classic vaper

Jan 12, 2019
I have been using copper and brass mods all my life. However I just inherited a bare aluminum timekeeper. I want to use it, but I want to know more about it. Are aluminum mods reliable? Do they have to be cleaned as often as copper? Do they perform well? Are they safe? Sorry I've been vaping since 2014 but this is my first aluminum mod and just want some advice on it.

TheTinMan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2016
North Carolina
If you have been using copper and brass tube mechs then you shouldn’t have any issues with the Timekeeper. There will probably be a little more voltage drop.

The rest you probably already know
-if it is a hybrid then use a hybrid safe atty
-make sure your batteries are in top condition with no tears and damage to the positive side protecting ring
-know ohms law

As far as cleaning it won’t tarnish like copper.

Reactions: Classic vaper

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Actually, a little less voltage drop than brass (watch Battery Mooch's mech tests on YouTube where he compares all metal versions of the Broadside... good stuff, there). And, although the mod won't tarnish, if it's bare aluminum, it might turn your hands black over time... easily washed off, but something to be aware of. Of course, you could clear coat it...

TraderX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2015
Philly Suburbs
and keep in mind dish soap will react with it and turn it black, so avoid that when cleaning

I have cleaned my raw aluminum Reo Grands with dish soap for years now, every single weekend. They have not turned black yet. I do love the Black Reo Grands, so perhaps I need to use the dish soap more often???

Reactions: CMD-Ky

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Aluminum is a soft bright silver metal with very good conduction. It oxidizes in air very very fast(minutes) but creates an extremely hard and impervious layer of aluminum oxide (better known as sapphire) when it does that prevents further corrosion. Pure aluminum is so soft that it’s generally used as an alloy which makes it much stronger. One called duraluminum and is so common it is generally thought of as just being aluminum. It is also often adonized which is a process that creates an extra thick layer of aluminum oxide on the outside. Addition of specific gasses can create colors in the oxide the same as it does in natural sapphire.

Classic vaper

Jan 12, 2019
I’m intrigued... why would you ask if they are “safe”? For someone who has apparently used mechs all their life, surely you can see that aluminium mods are as safe as any other metal? It’s just a different metal.
I ask because I know that aluminum wiring is banned because it causes stress and electrical currents. I just wanted to make sure that aluminum mods wont put extra unnecessary stress on the battery

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I ask because I know that aluminum wiring is banned because it causes stress and electrical currents. I just wanted to make sure that aluminum mods wont put extra unnecessary stress on the battery
Banned where? In the USA Just about every high tension wire you see up on a pole is made of aluminum.

Aluminum can be subject TO stress. It doesn’t like to be repeatedly bent. Therefor using it for flexible wire is considered a bad idea. For stuff without a lot of flex, like a mod case or high tension wires it’s fine though.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
As stated Aluminium is a better conductor than brass. In my experience the design, fit and finish and particularly thread tolerances of a mech are what makes for low voltage drop far more than the chosen metal. Another factor to consider is that the voltage drop caused by the internal resistance of the battery will account for a large portion of the overall losses. Both these losses will increase exponentially with lower resistances and higher current levels.

Conductivity from best to worst -

Silver
Copper
Gold
Aluminium
Brass
Steel

Are aluminum mods reliable? Depends on the mod and the user.
Do they have to be cleaned as often as copper? No.
Do they perform well? Depends on the mod and the user.
Are they safe? Depends on the mod and the user.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I think you must be talking about aluminum wiring in homes being unsafe. In and of itself, aluminum wire is not unsafe. But it expands and contracts at a different rate than copper and most metals used at junction points. So over time, it becomes loose and will arc. Decades ago, many homes were built with aluminum wiring, not taking this into account, and had to be retrofitted with new terminals. But the wiring itself didn't really have to be replaced. So it shouldn't be an issue in a mod - but then again, could be...if the terminals and connections aren't well designed and secure.

Reactions: TraderX
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread