Question about burnt taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

KennyJo

Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Hi everyone.

Today, I accidentally vaped at 6.1v (27w) and I only felt dense warm vapor and had no burnt taste at all!
I have vaped a few times before finding out I was vaping at 27w (I thought it was 17w).

Normally, if I vaped over 5v (about 25W), I would get a terrible burnt taste.

I have no idea how and why this happened and I hope some of you can give me an explanation as well as some post that could walk me through the relationship between voltage/wattage and burnt taste.

Thanks.

Here are a more detail for the burnt taste set up and no burnt taste (today's accident) set up and both are using the Eleaf iStick 30W and Subtank Mini.

Has Burnt Taste:
28 or 26 gauge, 1 ohm or lower, largest air hole of the Subtank Mini, 5V (25W), normal store brand e juice (60vg)

No Burnt Taste:
26 gauge, 1.4 ohm, second largest air hole of the Subtank, 6.1V (27W), Five Pawns e juice

sedition

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2014
New Zealand
The jump in voltage is normally caused by a bad connection at the positive or negative post. That can happen easily if you forget to re-tighten a coil before you wick it - the heat expansion/contraction from dry firing shakes everything a little loose.

What's happening in this situation is that the bad connection changes the resistance (usually going up), the variable wattage device sees this and compensates by upping the voltage to meet your requested wattage. All the device does is measure resistance, and fire out the voltage needed to meet your wattage setting based on Ohms Law.

Does that make sense?

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
burnt taste normally due to the vapor being evaporated faster than the wicks can feed it juice. all this is effected by coil size/gauge/build + wicking material, wicking type and type of juice. Theres lots of stuff that can lead to burnt taste but it all comes down to the coils burning juice faster than it can be supplied.

Reactions: Jibbu

Jibbu

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2012
Denver, CO, USA
burnt taste normally due to the vapor being evaporated faster than the wicks can feed it juice. all this is effected by coil size/gauge/build + wicking material, wicking type and type of juice. Theres lots of stuff that can lead to burnt taste but it all comes down to the coils burning juice faster than it can be supplied.

Thank you for this response. I think my question was answered without my posting it! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread