Not open for further replies.

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
I'm new to ECF, and to vaping... I've not even fully quit smoking yet, but I'm trying!!!

I'm still learning about higher end gear, and I have a couple of questions I hope you guys can help me with. I'm a glass blower/lampworker. As soon as I saw some of the sites that sell glass tanks, I've been trying to figure out precise sizes/shapes etc, and the caps/tops/components that go in/on them. I tend to be a DIYer, so I would like to make my own working tanks too.

The first place I saw decorated freeform tanks was at High Desert Vapes, so I ordered some of their grommets, which have only just arrived. I am waiting for the tubes I ordered that will hopefully fit them, so I can start melting glass to test (I could simply cold cut and fire polish my tanks, but I want to decorate them). These are for cartomizer tanks, but I'd prefer to have atomizer tanks.

My question is, could you guys tell me the EXACT sizes (inner and outer dimension of the tank tube, as well as height), for the most popular and easiest to use (lower prices if possible too) atomizer fittings that could take a glass tank, and where to get them?

I want to make me some decorated tanks for myself, and while I have lots and lots of glass and can get any size/type/shape, I have no idea where to get the other parts, or even what other parts I need. The sheer quantity of custom, rebuildable, or just glass tanks is staggering, and I'm very confused where to start.

Here's a couple of samples of my blown glass work, and my most recent marbles (top 10 2013 Bead & Button Magazine finalist):
redvessel.jpg doodles-amber-blackpearl-group.jpg Silver vortex color#3B5E04D (800x412).jpg

I would really appreciate being pointed in the right direction for what size to make ... thanks:)!!

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Beautiful works of art glassgal. I'd be proud to have any of your work.

You might want to visit IBTanked. They sell their aluminum and SS end caps for 19, 22 and 25mm tube sizes, with o-rings... separately. 19mm looks good on anything from an eGo to a 22 or 23mm mechanical mod, while the 22mm diameter is probably the most popular overall. Grommet tanks don't see much love anymore but the are still popular among the glass workers such as yourself... probably because they allow a certain degree of diameter "tolerance".

Some other tank makers you might find interesting are Hoosier Vapes and Phiniac.

Looking forward to observing your progress... and some day soon, obtaining one of your miniature pieces of functional art. ;-)

Cheers,
SOF

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
Hi SOF! Thanks for the response, and when I get this figured out, I might just send you one:).

I looked at those sites, and saw IBTanked's tops and bottoms, they are lovely... but those are for cartos too?

I want some atomizers tanks:). I have no problem making precision tube sizes... I just don't know what atomizer to get, where to get it, and what size tubes I need for it (or are all atomizer tanks the same standard size??). Suggestions would be really appreciated:).

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Hi SOF! Thanks for the response, and when I get this figured out, I might just send you one:).

I looked at those sites, and saw IBTanked's tops and bottoms, they are lovely... but those are for cartos too?

I want some atomizers tanks:). I have no problem making precision tube sizes... I just don't know what atomizer to get, where to get it, and what size tubes I need for it (or are all atomizer tanks the same standard size??). Suggestions would be really appreciated:).
When you say atomizer tanks... what do you mean exactly? Could you link me to an example of what you have in mind... 'cause I'm not pickin' up what you're puttin' down. :)

Are you talking about genesis RBA type tanks? If you are, this Vape Squad RBA review might get you going. Not everything by any stretch of the imagination... but a start.

Still thinking here... and if this isn't what we're talking about then I guess I've just wasted my and your time. :glare:
If you are talking about genesis RBAs... there's not a lot of commonality here because they aren't based around a specific length/diameter like a Boge or Ikenvape carto. Those are all 9.2 +/- X 35 & 45 mm + lengths.
There can be commonality in tube diameter and wall thickness within a brand that has multiple models, but not (very likely) between two competing brands.
Perhaps if you contacted all the makers, or at least the more popular makers of mid to high end genesis RBAs and got the tube specs... that'd be a start. I wouldn't waste my time on the low end stuff because if someone bought a $20 clone genesis... they aren't going to pay you $50 for a tube. ;-)

Last edited:

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
Ok, my understanding of a carto tank is you can buy either caps or grommets, and then you buy a 'carto', which is a stick that has stuffing around a hole in the middle. To use it, you fill the glass tank up with juice, and it wicks into the stuffing through a hole in the side. They are made by Smoktech and Boge.

The atomizer I want is a top and bottom cap with a section of glass tubing in the middle. You can take the bottom part off, and there's a cotton wick and a wire that you wrap around 2 contact points, and works like a clearomizer. Now, I've never even seen one of these in person, only photos, but I know they are bigger around than an ego battery. I just don't know how big around, and what the gap is on the top/bottom lips to figure out the thickness of the glass tubing needed (which come in 1 mm - 3.2 mm thickness glass walls).

I already have grommets and cartomizers, and can make those tubes when I get them.

But I don't know what to get for atomizers to try. I just took a long look at fasttech because I saw them mentioned so much, and it seems they have several glass tank atomizers, but I can't tell if the glass will come out or is it glued into the top and bottom on all of them?

My fanciest tank right now is an iclear16:p. I don't even know what an atomizer looks like in person yet, so I'm not sure what to order that I can put a tank on:).

All the tanks on Fastclear say 21mm outside diameter tho (this doesn't tell me thickness of glass needed)... is that a standard outside diameter for ALL tanks?

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
The atomizer I want is a top and bottom cap with a section of glass tubing in the middle. You can take the bottom part off, and there's a cotton wick and a wire that you wrap around 2 contact points, and works like a clearomizer. Now, I've never even seen one of these in person, only photos, but I know they are bigger around than an ego battery.
You've described... potentially, a great number of possible toppers, but specifically, what I believe you're referring to are called "glassomizers". Glassomizers are, for all intent and purpose... fancy clearomizers.
They will have a 510 bottom connector rather than the typical eGo connector of a clearo. They can be completely disassembled. The most common, popular and notable example would be the Kanger Protank 2, the clone of that... the Anyvape Davide, the Vision Vivi Nova, the Innokin iClear 30 etc etc.
I'm quite familiar with them, but I really don't use them... so I'm running out of brands and types. :blink:

What is "Fastclear"? Example links would be very useful.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Maybe this will separate and clarify.

1. Clearomizer.
A. A cartomizer that is transparent, so that you can see easily how much liquid is left in it.
B. Atomizer and Cartridge combined, disposable but refillable a number of times.
C. E-liquid container surrounding a, typically, replaceable atomizer (coil-head-base).

2. Cartomizer Tank.
A. To deal with atomizer degradation and the associated expense, manufacturers introduced an integrated cartridge/atomizer component that is more cheaply produced, known as a cartomizer. When their heating elements degrade, they can be disposed of and replaced more cheaply than standalone atomizers.
B. By extension, a "Cartomizer Tank" is a e-liquid container surrounding and sealing a modified cartomizer. The cartomizer has "holes" of various types to allow e-liquid transfer from the "Tank" component to the cartomizer component.
C. The "Tank" is typically a glass, plastic or metal tube with o-ring sealed end caps. The end caps in turn have additional inside diameter o-rings to seal the replaceable cartomizer, when they wear out.

3. Glassomizer.
A. A device that combines the capacities of a Tank and the convince (I don't know about this, I can refill or replace the carto in, a carto tank faster than most can replace the coil head in a Glassomizer) of a Clearomizer in one, design dedicated product.
B. A proprietary, large capacity Clearomizer with features (Glass/plastic tank, completely disassemble-able) of both a Carto Tank and a Clearomizer (Threaded, replaceable coil-head assembly - available in 2-3 resistances).

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
OK, I think we can all be on the same page now. What you linked to, glassgal, is called an RBA tank. Rebuildable Atomizer tank.

Above are my RBAs. Model is AGA-T Plus. I purchased custom colored pyrex tubes from here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modder-accessories-supplier-forum/392737-hyper-colored-pyrex-tanks-hybrids-genesis-style-atomizers.html

Here's a link with a larger, more detailed pic of my tanks: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modder-accessories-supplier-forum/392737-hyper-colored-pyrex-tanks-hybrids-genesis-style-atomizers-81.html#post10731166

______________​

All of these RBA tanks vary by measurements from one model to the next, there are no standard sizes or measurements. What fits on one tank will not fit on another. Nothing is intercompatible with another.

RBAs are generally considered to be for advanced vapors, not particularly suited for novice vapors.

Advice & Tips for Vapors Looking to Try Their First RBA

______________​

Here's additional links to Empire Mods and Discount Vapors, who also sell RBAs.

The below video is the best demonstration of how to set up a typical RBA (Genesis-style).

Last edited:

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
Oh boy... just read your "Advice and Tips", and also some of the links on your page. Maybe I'm over my head with this... LOL!

I'm trying to absorb info as fast as I can, whoda thunk it could be so complex? o_O

Batitude, your helpful info about cartos and tanks is why I bought the grommets and cartos from High Desert Vapes. But now that I have them, I'd prefer to get a fancy metal RBA that I can put a decorated tank on, because it's more polished looking.

I've only used Bloog Cartos, no clue how a tank carto works... but I do have some already to test. I'm a bit stumped on what to do if RBA are all different sized tanks and fittings.

Your recommendation is to stick with tank cartos because RBA fittings are too electrically complex for a beginner... but is there no basic glass tank atomizer, that I can make a custom glass tank for, that looks pretty in stainless with a nice cap and top that doesn't require an electrical engineering degree to use, which I can use with my MPV or Ego?

The entire last week, I've been going bananas with blending DIY juices (yes, diving into this headfirst, still waiting to see if I hit concrete at the bottom of the empty pool... LOL!). I think I understand that pretty well now... but I want to have a custom tank too:).

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Oh boy... just read your "Advice and Tips", and also some of the links on your page. Maybe I'm over my head with this... LOL!

Baditude, your helpful info about cartos and tanks is why I bought the grommets and cartos from High Desert Vapes. But now that I have them, I'd prefer to get a fancy metal RBA that I can put a decorated tank on, because it's more polished looking.

I've only used Bloog Cartos, no clue how a tank carto works... but I do have some already to test. I'm a bit stumped on what to do if RBA are all different sized tanks and fittings.

Your recommendation is to stick with tank cartos because RBA fittings are too electrically complex for a beginner... but is there no basic glass tank atomizer, that I can make a custom glass tank for, that looks pretty in stainless with a nice cap and top that doesn't require an electrical engineering degree to use, which I can use with my MPV or Ego? ... but I want to have a custom tank too:).

If you are set on the RBAs purely for their visual appeal, I think you will be disappointed with them with the battery devices you currently own. RBAs are made of heavy stainless steel and would be very top heavy on an MVP. An eGo is not even powerful enough to power an RBA because of its lower amp limits. Better rethink this. RBAs can be pretty complex to learn to build.

You guessed right, I think you should stick with cartotanks. You can purchase some very nice looking end caps from a couple of vendors and then you can find pyrex tubes to fit them since you have the resources. I'll see what I can find for you...

22 mm

Vaperfexion's Vex cartotank. A 22mm outer diameter stainless steel tank in polished, satin, or brushed finishes. Includes top and bottom caps.

Vaperfexion Pro-V2 top cap. 22mm outer diameter stainless steel top cap in polished, satin, or brushed. Alternative top cap for the Vex cartotank above.

Vaperfexion Pyrex glass tubes for 22mm tanks.

19 mm

Vaperfexion 19mm beveled top cap 19mm stainless cap beveled top cap. Link wasn't working when I made this link, maybe it will later.

Vaperfexion bottom cap. A 19mm bottom cap available in 3 finishes, and options for air flow slits or flange milling for flanged Smoktech cartos.

____

Siam Mods end caps and glass tubes

____

GR-Modders Stainless Steel Cartotanks.

Hope these give you some ideas. Below is my cartotank tutorial.

Baditude's Cartotank Setup Guide

Last edited:

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
glassgal, your name is fits. I really like the shots of your handblown samples & props on your marbles, too. Since your question was already answered, lemme ask -- have a considered making your own drip tips? Food for thought :2c:

RHP
Hey RHP. We were chatting about that in PMs earlier. She's in FL, so probably down for the count at this hour. Yes, I believe she will be doing drip tips too. Really looking forward to what she comes up with. A very talented lady.

InTheClouds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2013
Murphy, NC, USA

Phiniac also had some atomizers that use a tiny tank, did you see those? Your glass is beautiful, the 3rd pic, is that spheres attached to stands with glass? I can't wait to see what you come up with!

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
Sorry haven't checked the thread for a few days. I ordered several sizes and thicknesses of tubes, but due to not having enough different tanks(and fittings) to compare with, I'm going to just start with what I have now, which is the silicone grommets. I'm going to see if I can adapt that to the smoktech cartos I have first (I think cartos are a standard size?), then figure out caps and bottoms.

I did get some glass for drip tips... interestingly, all the tube suppliers are out of the correct thickness, so apparently, lots of glass people are making drip tips already, it's a pretty odd size:).

There's a lot of room for glass artists in this new field, since every single glass artist has their own unique styles, techniques, and specialties. Still waiting on the tubes I ordered, but I'm really excited about trying it:)!!

Thanks InTheClouds! The third pix are marbles, and they are wirewrapped in argentium silver. That was the pro shot they sent me from Bead and Button's 2013 Bead Dreams Competition, my series was top 10.... actually, here's the big pix in Bead and Button Magazine's site, so you can see a bigger close up:
Silver vortex color wheels - Bead&Button Magazine Community - Forums, Blogs, and Photo Galleries

They are solid, not blown (but the first 2 of my upload were blown). I think I can make tanks pretty easily, the trick is figuring out the precise size, or making/finding the caps and bottoms to size.

SonHouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
Seminole
Cartons for tanks are two sizes. There is a standard size and an XL size. The girth is the same but the length varies between the two. Other than the F9 tank, the sizes are standard. One other thing you should be aware of is that cartos for tanks have flanges which slide into the bases. Some of these are fully circular and some have flattened areas which fit into indentations to keep the carto from turning. If you're looking at just the tank portion, it doesn't matter but might if you're buying end caps and cartos.

Since a pic is worth a thousand words, here is a carto with the flattened areas I mentioned. This is an XL size tank which are usually rated to hold 6 ml of e-juice. That is with nice thin, consistent plastic, with the thickness of hand blown glass that typically changes. To see the flattened area, look at the metal ring at the base of the tank on the right. These are SmokTech style cartos while the Boges usually do not have the flattened area.

http://www.healthy-e-cigarette.com/photo/pl414090-new_510_dc_tank_cartomizer_with_drip_tips.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread