Question about Ohms, very confused!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tBERGz

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2013
Seattle
I am trying to buy replacement coils for me and my girlfriend's Kanger Protanks. The coils that I see on PB Dragon show a 1.5ohm, 1.8ohm, and 2.2ohm. Both me and her batteries are knockoff ego 1300 mah batteries. They are not variable voltage.

How do the ohms differ, and any suggestions on which ones I should get?
Thanks,
Tyler

EtherMagic

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2009
The lower the ohms the less resistance (1.5) and its going to be a warmer draw and harder hit and also uses more juice from the battery as the coil gets hotter. 2.2 ohms is considered around the standard for atomizers, you get a more airy hit and uses less battery as the coils have a higher resistance, so don't get as hot.

Think of atomizer coils like a light bulb (actually its exactly like a light bulb, same inner workings), there are some bulbs that are brighter then others as the coils in them are less resistant to electricity. Light bulbs that are brighter burn hotter because the coils inside have less resistance to electricity, not being able to release the energy as fast as a higher resistance coil it burns brighter. Identical concept with atomizers.

As far as your battery as long as it fits in your device your fine, id be much more worried about a battery if you were using a mechanical mod, but your not.

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I am trying to buy replacement coils for me and my girlfriend's Kanger Protanks. The coils that I see on PB Dragon show a 1.5ohm, 1.8ohm, and 2.2ohm. Both me and her batteries are knockoff ego 1300 mah batteries. They are not variable voltage.

How do the ohms differ, and any suggestions on which ones I should get?
Thanks,
Tyler

It really is preference and can even be different from flavor to flavor. I would suggest getting at least one of each and deciding which one YOU like best. It may be that you and your GF prefer a different one.

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
Lower ohms=lower resistance=more current=warmer vapor. Micro coils can help avoid the added heat of dropping resistance by having more surface area. That will take longer to get as hot as a higher gauge. This will also cause your battery to drain faster. Having a thicker wire at the same resistance of a lighter one will cause a slightly faster battery drain.

I like to stay around 2 Ohms on non-RBA's and cartomizers. I really like dual coil 1.5 cartomizers, but they tend to be more inconsistent than single coils. I have a regulated mod for use of those. For an ego-type battery, I'd have to go with a 1.8 coil..even 1.5. 1.5 Ohms will be a little on the lower side of what resistance you'd want with a freshly charged ego-type battery, but it will be in the nominal range quickly.

irwink

CASAA Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2010
Norfolk, Virginia, USA
The lower the ohms the more resistance (1.5) and its going to be a harder draw and harder hit and also uses more juice from the battery as the coil gets hotter. 2.2 ohms is considered around the standard for atomizers, you get a more airy hit and uses less battery as the coils have a higher resistance, so don't get as hot.

Think of atomizer coils like a light bulb (actually its exactly like a light bulb, same inner workings), there are some bulbs that are brighter then others as the coils in them are less resistant to electricity. Light bulbs that are brighter burn hotter because the coils inside have less resistance to electricity, not being able to release the energy as fast as a higher resistance coil it burns brighter. Identical concept with atomizers.

As far as your battery as long as it fits in your device your fine, id be much more worried about a battery if you were using a mechanical mod, but your not.
Exactly backwards. Ohms are a measure of electrical reistance to current flow. The lower the ohms the lower the resistance to current flow. It has nothing to do with how tight the draw is.

Personally I find 1.8-2 Ω coils best for fixed voltage ego's.

EtherMagic

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2009
Exactly backwards. Ohms are a measure of electrical reistance to current flow. The lower the ohms the lower the resistance to current flow. It has nothing to do with how tight the draw is.

Personally I find 1.8-2 Ω coils best for fixed voltage ego's.

If you read my entire post you will clearly see that I miss worded that one word, as I explained it all correctly after that, and I quote myself from my second paragraph... "Light bulbs that are brighter burn hotter because the coils inside have less resistance to electricity".

It can get confusing/tricky explaining this stuff sometimes, you loose your frame of thought.. :) I just corrected my post by replacing the word "more" with "less" in that 1 line. Warmer draw I meant, not tighter.

Thx for the catch.

Last edited:

Lunger

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
South Florida
The non variable egos are all a set voltage. Fresh off the charger mine always read 4.2 then the fixed 3.7 after a while. For that voltage I wouldn't go above 2.0 ohms so the 1.8 ohm heads sound about right. Heres a cool calculator you can use that will come on handy if you ever move up to vairable voltage and higher end mods. :
http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/ohmslawcalculators.asp
at 3.7 volts and 1.8 ohms you will be vaping at nearly 8 watts. Thats a decent vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread