Question about ohms

Status
Not open for further replies.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
I'd like to set the ohms to my vape at .7
If by "set" you mean changing the resistance in the software, why do you even want to do that? What do you think you achieve by changing resistance that can't be done by changing wattage?

If you mean putting a different coil in then by all means experiment (according to what QcVaper laid out regarding battery power limits).

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'd like to set the ohms to my vape at .7 (It's 1.0 right now) I was wondering if it was safe to do that? I have a GX 350 with a DROP RDA.
"Ohms" is the measured total resistance of an individual coil. That measurement can not be changed, it is what it is. The display screen of you GX350 will show the measured resistance of the individual coil that you are using on it. You can not manually change the resistance except to use a different coil of a different resistance.

You can change the power output to the coil by adjusting the wattage setting higher or lower.

If you want to use a coil that has 0.7 ohm, you'll need to make your own coil, or find a pre-made one. However, on a regulated mod like you are using, you can simply adjust the wattage to change your vaping experience to your preference.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
You can not manually change the resistance except to use a different coil of a different resistance.
Smok mods (and some others) let you set the base resistance (ie the resistance it'll use for calculations) in software, I guess that's why we see this question pop up from time to time.
If you're not doing TC there's no reason at all to use that feature and even then only in some cases.

And before this takes the direction it took in a certain other thread - yes I know that doesn't physically change the resistance of the coil.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
The general battery safety guideline for regulated mods is to take the highest wattage you will be vaping, divide that by the number of batteries (4), divide that by the voltage cut-off of the mod (3.2V), and then finally divide that by .91 assuming that the efficiency of the mod is 91% (or .9 if it is 90%, which is the minimum efficiency of any modern regulated mod). The problem with the GX350 is that it can jump to max power (350 watts) unexpectedly with no warning sign of any kind (i.e., even the display on the mod won't provide any hint that something is wrong with the mod whatsoever), and, AFAIK there is no firmware fix for this so as a result you are going to have to assume the highest wattage you will be vaping is 350 watts.
SMOK GX350 problems
I have personally witnessed this same exact problem with my own eyes so I am confirming this can, and does, happen with the GX350. Either you can buy Samsung 20S batteries because those are 30A batteries. Or else you can just get rid of the mod. Personally, I, would pick the latter option because IMO even the risk of burning your wick inside your Drop RDA is simply not worth taking. There is a reason why Smok is among brands that have a horrific reputation.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
There is a reason why Smok is among brands that have a horrific reputation.
latest

Reactions: dripster

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Specs show that mod capable of .06 ohm. Know the specifications for your mod. But also they are only valid with adequate batteries and the specs should include their requirement as well although some do not. With that coil, a relevant spec would be maximum output voltage would limit maximum power to maybe 100 watts, but I'm guessing that's not the issue. Or maybe you have a guess it could be a limitation.

Why do you want to change the resistance? Perhaps we should start with what you want to improve.
    That isn't much information. If one assumes you are using a thinner wire gauge to get that high(ish) resistance, this would result in a small coil which seems an odd match to a huge mod. You could use more wraps of that thin wire to get a bigger coil of higher resistance, or twist or parallel 2 strands of it to get a lower resistance and a bigger coil. Or just use thicker wire. For the same coil but just lower resistance, use a different wire material, Kanthal to nichrome or stainless steel.

The general battery safety guideline for regulated mods is to take the highest wattage you will be vaping, divide that by the number of batteries (4), divide that by the voltage cut-off of the mod (3.2V), and then finally divide that by .91 assuming that the efficiency of the mod is 91% (or .9 if it is 90%, which is the minimum efficiency of any modern regulated mod). The problem with the GX350 is that it can jump to max power (350 watts) unexpectedly with no warning sign of any kind (i.e., even the display on the mod won't provide any hint that something is wrong with the mod whatsoever), and, AFAIK there is no firmware fix for this so as a result you are going to have to assume the highest wattage you will be vaping is 350 watts.
    SMOK GX350 problems
    I have personally witnessed this same exact problem with my own eyes so I am confirming this can, and does, happen with the GX350. Either you can buy Samsung 20S batteries because those are 30A batteries. Or else you can just get rid of the mod. Personally, I, would pick the latter option because IMO even the risk of burning your wick inside your Drop RDA is simply not worth taking. There is a reason why Smok is among brands that have a horrific reputation.

Yikes! Maybe stick with 1+ ohm!

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    You 100% do not change anything about the COIL you are using, by changing it's resistance on the mod. It will not improve your vape, do much other than you'll be flailing around with your wattage settings all extra confused and whatnot. Also, it can be unsafe, like let's say you have a coil in there that's a 0.01 coil and you decide to change it to 1.0 on the mod, well, since I've actually NEVER done that, well I don't know what would happen, but I'm guessing the mod would either refuse to fire, or something catastrophic would happen, but I'm entirely unclear which, because I do not do it.

If you would like to PUT a 0.7 ohm's coil in there, well you can and all that, (but it will either need to be built or bought, and etc.) and as long as you aren't overstressing your batteries by going to some ungodly wattage (and also, if building, mass will play a role) that is probably fine.

Certain TC mods and coil types well, you do want to sometimes lock in your coil's resistance when cold (although some mods just do that for you) otherwise there is NO reason to like play around with ohms. Etc.

Anna

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread