Status
Not open for further replies.

deryk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2014
Edison, New Jersey, United States
Hello Folks!

I have been rebuilding for about 8 months now...started with a kanger protank 2 (which is a bit of pia) to an EhPro kayfun lite + v2 whis is way easier to rebuild.

Now I have heard twice now that people clean them and brush the coil and replace the wick.... why? isn't it almost as hard as just making a new wick and coil?

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Now I have heard twice now that people clean them and brush the coil and replace the wick.... why? isn't it almost as hard as just making a new wick and coil?
A Kanthal coil can last some (exceedingly cheap and/or lazy) folks for months. When the coil itself, after a dry burn and light brush cleaning, appears to be silverish (or dull grey) with blackish specs, this is an indication that the insulative, heat conductive aluminum (aluminum oxide) content has diminished to the point where only iron and chromium remain.
If you reach this point... the coil is long overdue for replacement. Rather than wait for this... I generally replace a coil every 2-4 weeks. As you say, making a new one is cheap and easy.

vapnmuse

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2014
central new jersey
back when I was using kanger aerotanks, I bought two 5packs of coils to always have spares. I started to remove the coil every night and put it in a shot glass and run hot tap water into the glass. the force of the water spins the coil around and cleans it. By doing this every night the coil did not get all crusty from burnt liquid. After e few mins put the coil on a paper towel and forget about it. Install a new or dry coil, refill the tank and go on vaping. I still have a 5pack of coils that i did not use. Now I use a REO and a BAY CITY VAPORS BFM mod and have found my perfect vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread