Status
Not open for further replies.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Hey guys, Call me weird, but I still vape at 1.5 ohms, 10 watts using a Kayfun MTL tank. Been happy until lately, but I am not getting enough clouds. Is there a suitable RTA where I can use 2 coils instead of 1 coil to increase the clouds? For example I know 2ohm coils in parallel will yield 1 Ohm. Someone suggested a Griffin tank or a Gemini. Both are considered Sub Ohm tanks. Can I use them anyway, using my own simple coils? Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
@Exchaner, what 27 AWG round wire have you tried?

As I'm thinking that it may well be worth experimenting a little bit with a different gauge and different metals. And of course, different ID's and wrap count.

And the only RTA that comes to mind is the Atmizoo Tripod (Single Coil), Ulton do a good clone. Throat hit, vapour production and flavour are good.

Also they can be configured to your preference from DTL through to MTL by the use of one of the airflow inserts, with or without the chamber reducer, narrow or wide bore chimney extension and the airflow control ring.

drippaboi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2014
SF Bay Area
+1 to trying new coil builds before trying a new atty. My go-to for single coil RTAs is 26AWG kanthal, 2.5mm ID and about 8/9 wraps to come in around 1omh and I vape it around 12W-15W. I generally vape RDL but have used the build for MTL to practice smoke rings with good results.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hey guys, Call me weird, but I still vape at 1.5 ohms, 10 watts using a Kayfun MTL tank. Been happy until lately, but I am not getting enough clouds. Is there a suitable RTA where I can use 2 coils instead of 1 coil to increase the clouds? For example I know 2ohm coils in parallel will yield 1 Ohm. Someone suggested a Griffin Tank or a Gemini. Both are considered Sub Ohm tanks. Can I use them anyway, using my own simple coils? Thanks for your thoughts.

If you want to stay vaping MTL but simply want more vapour production, have a look at MTL clapton wire or MTL fused clapton wire:
    Vandy Vape Superfine MTL Wire SPOOLS - 10 Feet

Any of these will be fine, but there's slight differences between them. There's 3 wire types, kanthal A1, ni80 and ss316L. MTL clapton wire is a single 30g round wire wrapped with 38g. MTL fused clapton wire has two 30g or 32g round wire cores in parallel, wrapped up with 38g.

A MTL clapton has less surface area and mass than a MTL fused clapton wire. So more wattage is needed for the fused clapton, and more vapour will be produced.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    You may encounter the issue of getting a coil fitted across the build deck @Exchaner, but sometimes you just have to try and see what works. But you should have no problems trapping complex MTL wires with the Kayfun build deck screws.

And if all else fails, you could try a Tripod clone. You'll like the build deck similarities and it's possible to use a 3mm ID coil with a weird combination of inserts to tweak the experience to you liking.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread