cool fire 4 - RTA help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benam

Jan 22, 2018
Hi Im a bit new to this and im looking to save some cash. I would like an RTA tank so i can save on the cost of coils.
I need a tank that I can run at around 1 to 1.5 ohms I dont need to cloud chase and I am quite happy with the 1.6 ohms could in my current setup.

any tips on a cheap thank that will do this and what type of wire/ cotton I should buy.
I think dual coil would be best so im going to have to make 2 * 2ohm coils i think
Thanks in advance

Ben

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
In that resistance range I'd go for a single coil atty, because of the enormous coil mass you have to heat up in dual coil mode with "normal" wire, or the pita you get from building with thinner wire.
That said the VandyVape Berserker, Digiflavor Siren 2, Cthulhu Hastur MTL or the Innokin Ares get quite some love here.

If you're interested in getting a clone and save a few bucks more, the YFTK or SXK Kayfun Prime could be interesting as well.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks guys could you recommend a single coil version and some advise on the wire cotton type please?

Hi Benam. Welcome to the ECF.

For a Single Coil RTA, the Coil Master Elfy is Very Easy to build on. It might be too small for some. But it has Very Good Flavor.

$24.99 Authentic Coil Master Elfy RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - 2.5ml / 304 stainless steel + glass / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Choice of Wire is dependent on what Target Ohms you are going for. I'd suggest going with 28ga and 26ga Kanthal to start with. Or if it is in your Budget right now, Kanthal and 316/316L Stainless Steel

For Cotton, I think Cotton Pad is by far the Easiest to use. And I Don't think there is a huge difference in Taste over Bulk Fiber Rayon. Muji Cotton Pads would be a good choice.

Cut Cotton 165 Pcs

For a Coil Winding Tool, this type makes making a Perfect Coil a Snap.

2112002-6.jpg

$6.02 Universal Tools Wire Coiling Tool w/ Phillips & Slotted & Hex Key Screwdriver Bits - blue / 3.5mm + 3.0mm + 2.5mm + 2.0mm winding rods at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

But it Isn't 100% Necessary. Many people just wind by hand around a Little Blue Screwdriver or a 3mm Drill Bit.

For anyone New to Coil Building, I would Highly Suggest going to Steam Engine and getting Familiar with using it.

Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Because you can do "What If" by trying different Gauge Wire/Coil Diameter/Ohms/etc and see how they effect the numbers of Wraps a Coil would need.

I'd try to stay with 5 to 7 Wraps and 2.5 or 3mm ID Coil. Less than 5 and there just Isn't enough Coil. More than 7 and you might have Fit Issues in your RTA Deck.

The Links I posted are just for Reference. Some of them are from Foreign Sites where the Shipping might take awhile to get to you. They are there just so you can View a Picture or read a Description of what was mentioned.

Hope this helps.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
There are several nice options for a single coil MTL RTA around at the moment. I agree that with MTL coils, a dual build is difficult for many, many reasons. Starting with a single coil is probably just going to be plain easier, in any case.

In no particular order: Siren V2 (I love this RTA for flavor and ease of build, as well as a lot of airflow flexibility. Some folks don't like either flavor and/or airflow options (it's not a very restricted MTL setup, which I actually like). I like it best with fruit flavors.
Ares: Some report better flavor, similar ease of use and deck as will the Siren V2 with some added things. Early reports of some seeping/leaking into top cap but these have been resolved. Many say it shines for flavor.
Berserker: about as tight a draw RTA that you can get, but flavor is stellar. Medium ease of use, it has topfill, but some find it easier to manage a bottom fill due to gurgling/leaking. Still a quite easy setup but finding the right build/wick can be a bit of a challenge....
Any of the Kayfun models, the most recent is the Kayfun prime which folks seem to be liking. I'd recommend a clone first if you go this route, as it is not an inexpensive RTA. Fasttech sells them.
The doggystyle (and clones) are beloved by many. I find the build deck to be quite frustrating (and the tank generally) but I have a fine motor tremor, however there are some MAJOR devotees of this tank for flavor and build quality (even the clones). I wish I could get mine set up.

As far as wire, I'd suggest stainless steel wire as it can run in wattage or temp mode and it's easy enough to work with. I started out with 28 gauge and found it functioned just fine at my MTL settings. You could go lower if you wish, but I don't get long ramp up times at that gauge and sometimes very thin can be hard to wick.

As far as wicking the main choices these days seem to be (whatever variant) of cotton that suits you best, or rayon. I tried cotton and didn't get very far with it before switching to rayon, and I'm glad I did. It solved all my wicking problems, but it does play to my tendency to overwick, since it shrinks a bit.

I started out using steam-engine.org to calculate my build(s) and I got a coilmaster kit. I have found the kit useful, it does have a jig, a set of tools that aren't fabulous but certainly robust enough for my needs. I like having the mini-tab ohm's reader to build on as a stable base (and to test fire my coils). I go all the way to filling the tank on that (checking for leaks) before transferring to my mod, where I am less happy to get leaks, :) It's nice to have a back-up test for my builds as well. As I've said, I do have a fine motor tremor so some assistive aids are nice. Some will tell you that you don't need a whole kit, and they are correct. I find it useful but not everyone does.

Best of luck,

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread