Not open for further replies.

revolver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Buenos Aires
Dear Gurus,

I have neither experience nor any knowledge about this... So here we go:

1. Which are my options to go higher than 3,7ish with a PrecisePlus 18,650 !?

1 Bis. How could I keep this safe? (From what I hear it is fairly safe if you use the right batts and are careful enough to measure they are fine, etc... But please clarify!)

I've tried this with a friend's GGTS and two IMRs 16340 (AW) and an HV atty... Wow! Simply: WOW. Two seconds drags translated into massive -and I DO mean MASSIVE- clouds !!! Very, very satisfying vape! And while I am ok with 3,7 and LRs, I really would like to have this alternative if possible.

Please let me know my options and details, thanks... :p

Bigmike228

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Sachse , TX
I think stacking batteries is safe in a device such as a GGTS because I read somewhere Imeo stated there are 13 vent holes to which gases can escape. Along with the spring collapsing as a fail safe added feature. There's also that 2cent for safety thingy out there. When vaping a juice filled tank,wether its a carto,atty,or rebuildable, I always have wicking problems at high voltage. So pretty much been limited to dripping at high voltages.

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
For awhile I used 2 stacked AW LiFePO4 RCR 123 3.2v 500mAh batteries in my 18650. If I recall I used one thin o-ring, can't remember how many washers. The batteries fit very tight and I remember having to crank the top cap down with some force. It performed very well and I loved it.
Then one day something went awry and it shorted. I suspect the negative end of the bottom battery slipped past the o-ring due to the pressure of the tight fit and made direct contact. This probably wouldn't have concerned me too much but that very same day one of those reports of a guy blowing his face off happened. I sold all my LiFePos and haven't stacked since.

So there you go.

atavanhalen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Wolverine Lake, Michigan

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
Dear Gurus,

I have neither experience nor any knowledge about this... So here we go:

1. Which are my options to go higher than 3,7ish with a PrecisePlus 18,650 !?

1 Bis. How could I keep this safe? (From what I hear it is fairly safe if you use the right batts and are careful enough to measure they are fine, etc... But please clarify!)

I've tried this with a friend's GGTS and two IMRs 16340 (AW) and an HV atty... Wow! Simply: WOW. Two seconds drags translated into massive -and I DO mean MASSIVE- clouds !!! Very, very satisfying vape! And while I am ok with 3,7 and LRs, I really would like to have this alternative if possible.

Please let me know my options and details, thanks... :p

I was a HV vaper through majority of my vaping journey and it was the only way to go for me. TH, flavor, and vapor with a 3.0 ohm atty and two stacked AW LiFePO4 batts was something that no 3.7V and LR atty setup could match. I stopped stacking after I acquired a ProVari and later the Kick. For all the safety reasons I would suggest you to get the Kick, crank it up to 10W and use it with 2.0 - 2.5 ohm atties in your P+650. But if you really feel like you need to go the "6V" route, here are some things to pay attention to...

LiFePO4 batts come off the charger at around 3.6V and drop and settle at 3.35V each after 15-30 minutes. It is important to let them rest for a while before using them.

Make sure to have 3-5 pairs of batts. Mark them properly (A, B, C...) and always rotate them.

Also, mark both batteries differently in each pair to know which was was on the top or bottom when used during the last cycle. I had mine marked Ax Ao, Bx Bo, Cx Co... The reason for this is that the battery on the top is always discharging faster than the one on the bottom and you want to make sure to switch their position after every charge to make sure they are aging at the same or similar fashion.

Pay attention. The moment you notice vapor and TH tapering off, take the batteries and meter them with a DMM. I used to change mine when they would drop to about 3.1 - 3.15V. Try not to go below this voltage but definitely make sure that one of the batteries is not discharging dramatically more than the other in the same pair, example one being 3.15V while the other 2.8V. If you notice that batteries in one of your pairs are discharging dramatically different regardless of their position in the tube, it's best to discard them and no longer find them suitable for safe use.

It mostly comes down to making sure to never over-discharge them, over-charge them, or short them out. And I strongly suggest constantly monitoring them with a DMM after charging them and while using them. Hope this helps.

Edit to add: Since LiFePO4s are considerably narrower that 18650 batts, you can make a simple sleeve by using something like a business card to avoid having to deal with your batteries rattling. This will also help center them so that they don't get caught in the bottom o-ring.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread