Question for anyone that has used dip/smoked after a nerve injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
This is one I'd kind of save for a doc if it's a severe injury.

Nerve pain can actually be ALEVIATED by using nic, it's actually a great pain killer, of sorts, but we are talking CHRONIC nerve injury. My husband finds it hard to give up smoking even with vaping, that is how potent it can be.

But his situation is like a decades old broken neck.

If it's a RECENT injury well nic can be a vasoconstrictor and I'm pretty sure you'd want to get good blood flow to an injury that is still HEALING.

But, these are just general thoughts, and I would HIGHLY HIGHY suggest you consult your doctor on this one. Consequences sound like they could be PRETTY severe.

Or it may be fine but only your doc can tell you, honestly.

Anna

Reactions: hittman

john10960

Jul 15, 2018
So you did experience some healing.

Do you think the smoking limited the maximum amount of healing you could achieve? Or do you think it just slowed down recovery?

Also, just curious, where did you hear smoking impacts nerve recovery? I’ve heard that smoking impacts wound healing but I’ve heard nothin definitive smoking effects solely nerve recovery?

Reactions: stols001

BettyBW

Aug 25, 2018
So you did experience some healing.

Do you think the smoking limited the maximum amount of healing you could achieve? Or do you think it just slowed down recovery?

Also, just curious, where did you hear smoking impacts nerve recovery? I’ve heard that smoking impacts wound healing but I’ve heard nothin definitive smoking effects solely nerve recovery?
Hi John,
I was told of smoking slowing nerve regrowth by the surgeon after surgery to repair the severed nerve in my hand. I have a little numbness in the scar site but full function returned over time.
I think, although without comparisons, if anything it could have slowed recovery but not limited the extent.
I did use making rollies as part of my hand physio to recover dexterity.
Facial nerve damage is more recent and also recovering well, sensation is returning albeit feeling like Harry Potter's scar when Voldermort turns up (sorry about the JK Rowling ref!).

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I've never been told not to vape after surgery of any kind, and I don't know if nicotine by itself slows healing from a nerve injury.

I will say that before I quit smoking, I had some fairly annoying neuropathy that I thought was mainly from a medication I take and when I switched to vaping, said neuropathy improved a LOT.

I have to think that was due to the poor circulation I was experiencing due to my 3 ppd habit. (That's also my guess as to why wrinkles "melt" away a bit after stopping smoking.) It's like I was a wizened prune from all that tobacco and improved circulation from switching to vaping reinflated my face.

IDK how much nicotine in vaping would slow down healing period, let alone to nerves and whatnot, I really wouldn't. That said, I'm not sure many DOCTORS would either, although they probably ALL have stances on it. I mean, a more conservative doc may tell someone to halt nicotine use, whereas a less conservative one might be more inclined to say it would be okay.

I guess if I were in that situation, and I guess there may be some inferences that nicotine alone can constrict blood vessels, well maybe anyway, I would just really suggest following your doctor's advice and well if he can give you a coherent theory on WHY that might be, well so much the better.

Good luck with the surgery.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread