• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Question for some vets...

Status
Not open for further replies.

G13Canuck

Oct 9, 2013
Toronto
reposting from new member thread..

I'm a new vaper from Canada and I just got into this for 2 reasons, 1) I'm curious myself to the taste and alternative to smoking; 2) Trying desperately to get my girlfriend and dad to quit smoking for good.

My first purchase was the Ego V2 Mega 1200 on a recommendation from a friend. I also purchased a Glass Globe V2 for myself but I have yet to buy a cleartomizer or any ejuice. I also have yet to buy any juice but I think jugheads.co will be my first order, I like their sampler packs and price!

A few questions if you can help out a little:

1) I'm not sure which cleartomizer to get but I was eyeing the Kanger Protank Clearomizer with Pyrex Glass Tank from fasttech. Price was good plus free shipping. Should I get 1 tank or 2 for my first time out, my next question may help answer this.

2) My goal with the epen is to help my girlfriend quit smoking for good. I could also use a little help quitting my own habits but nicotine isn't my problem, I like the act of smoking so I would like to have a non-nic puff available to me when I feel the craving.

3) Last goal would be to introduce my long time smoker dad to an epen to get him to quit smoking Capt. Black cigars ... they're horrible for you and he inhales them. He would need a strong nic taste/flavour to quit I think and it's going to be a challenge.

Since I want a no nic juice, my GF would need a nic juice and my dad a strong nic juice, I believe I'll need to be doing the mixing myself on the e-juice. In addition I'll probably need to have a cleartomizer for each party since changing the juice will leave some residue and be a pain to have to keep doing.

I'm in Canada so that does limit my ordering options on the nic ejuice. I've never vaped so I'm not sure what type of mix I should get with VG/PG - I think a 50/50 mix to start would probably be best. What tools would I need to do my own mixing? I'd like to get a few different juices I've read are really good then mix my own strength of nic depending who needs it.

Love to hear your comments and any help is appreciated.

Canuck!

Reme

Sep 19, 2013
Oakville, ON, Canada
1) I found the mini-protank 2 to perform best on my ego batteries. I wish I'd gotten more than one. Also get some extra heads for it.

2) Easy to get non-nic juice, all the sites I've ordered from let you choose on a gradient from 0-24mg of nic.

Even in Canada there are lots of options for nic juice, and nic free juice. I haven't found any satisfactory tobacco flavours but I stopped trying to find them after tasting other things. I've been vaping 2 weeks and haven't had a smoke since I started after a 6 year 1.5 PAD habit.

G13Canuck

Oct 9, 2013
Toronto
1) I found the mini-protank 2 to perform best on my ego batteries. I wish I'd gotten more than one. Also get some extra heads for it.

Awesome, thanks! I definitely need more than one.

2) Easy to get non-nic juice, all the sites I've ordered from let you choose on a gradient from 0-24mg of nic.

Even in Canada there are lots of options for nic juice, and nic free juice. I haven't found any satisfactory tobacco flavours but I stopped trying to find them after tasting other things. I've been vaping 2 weeks and haven't had a smoke since I started after a 6 year 1.5 PAD habit.

That's good to hear. I really hope I can get these people to quit. I suspect my dad is going to want a strong flavour as close to his Capt. Blacks as possible.

What's your gradient coming from a 1.5 PAD? I'm curious what strength I should be mixing up for my dad.

JollyVaper

Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Nassau, Bahamas
I found that as I went down in NIC levels, I was not nearly as impacted as I thought I would have been. 24 to 18 to 12 to 8 to 3 and I have just started on ZERO NIC....... granted the throat hit is not as strong as with 24mg but it really is not that bad and you can dial in some setting to help with the hit..... voltage, coil setup, flavors...etc.

Katmandu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2010
Canada
1) I'm not sure which cleartomizer to get but I was eyeing the Kanger Protank Clearomizer with Pyrex Glass Tank from FastTech. Price was good plus free shipping. Should I get 1 tank or 2 for my first time out, my next question may help answer this.

If you are ordering protanks from Fasttech, please make sure they are the genuine Kanger ones as the knock offs do not always work like they should. Also remember that receiving things from Fasttech will take a long time, so I hope you are not in a hurry. If I were you, I would order the mini protanks instead so they won't be so top heavy on an ego style battery. Also, be sure to order replacement heads for them at the same time. Many Canadian suppliers do carry Kanger at reasonable prices.

2) My goal with the epen is to help my girlfriend quit smoking for good.
If your girlfriend is open to starting to vape instead of smoke that's wonderful, but please, no pressure on her. :)

3) Last goal would be to introduce my long time smoker dad to an epen to get him to quit smoking Capt. Black cigars ... they're horrible for you and he inhales them. He would need a strong nic taste/flavour to quit I think and it's going to be a challenge.
Many long time, heavy smokers have successfully switched over to e-cigs, you just need to find the gear and eliquid that will suit him. This may take some experimentation and some curiosity on his part.

Since I want a no nic juice, my GF would need a nic juice and my dad a strong nic juice, I believe I'll need to be doing the mixing myself on the e-juice. In addition I'll probably need to have a cleartomizer for each party since changing the juice will leave some residue and be a pain to have to keep doing.
You can purchase eliquids in differing, or no nicotine strengths and in different flavors. There is no need to have to mix it yourself. DIY can be done but I really stress educating yourself on it first before you dive into it. Read and ask questions on the DIY subforum.

I'm in Canada so that does limit my ordering options on the nic ejuice. I've never vaped so I'm not sure what type of mix I should get with VG/PG - I think a 50/50 mix to start would probably be best.
There is a thread here where you can ask for a copy of the list of vendors in Canada. There are LOTS of them and you will probably find one close to you.

Good Luck.

Canuck![/QUOTE]

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
it's great you're doing research for them and offering them an alternative but like katmandu said, no pressure on them.

Don't put too much of your time/money to help them, you might be dissapointed, vaping is not for everyone, you still need a bit of motivation, curiosity and a lot of testing of vaping stuff to make the switch.

G13Canuck

Oct 9, 2013
Toronto
it's great you're doing research for them and offering them an alternative but like katmandu said, no pressure on them.

Don't put too much of your time/money to help them, you might be dissapointed, vaping is not for everyone, you still need a bit of motivation, curiosity and a lot of testing of vaping stuff to make the switch.

Definitely no pressure, they'll quit on their own but I have a few extra bucks to hopefully help/show them a better way. I'm also going to enjoy vaping for my own purposes.

Concat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I found that as I went down in NIC levels, I was not nearly as impacted as I thought I would have been. 24 to 18 to 12 to 8 to 3 and I have just started on ZERO NIC....... granted the throat hit is not as strong as with 24mg but it really is not that bad and you can dial in some setting to help with the hit..... voltage, coil setup, flavors...etc.

The absence of TH is what makes dropping nic levels difficult for me. Once I got below 12 mg/mL I found it pretty frustrating.

G13Canuck

Oct 9, 2013
Toronto
The absence of TH is what makes dropping nic levels difficult for me. Once I got below 12 mg/mL I found it pretty frustrating.

Good to know, I suspect this will be a problem with my dad and the cigarillos. I think I need to figure out his consumption but it looks like each cigarillo is 100-200mg of nicotine. And I seem to remember him going through half a pack a day (3-4 cigarillos/day) roughly. So he would need a 24mg/mL juice and need about 10mL or so a day. Not sure how much he inhales but it's not the entire thing. The calculations are new for me but I was linked up to some calculators that have been helpful. I think I'm on the right path here...

When you drop below 12mg/mL could you up the PG content for a better TH? I remember reading that TH was nic+PG content or I could be wrong on that.

Last edited:

bdpf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2013
Toronto
When I stopped smoking 4 weeks ago, I started with 12mg. While it was a bit discomforting at the beginning, it was fine after a couple of days. I am now alternating during the day between 12mg and 6mg and agree that 6mg has much less TH. My goal is get slowly accustomed to it so it stops bothering me.

I like my mini protank but for some reason prefer overall the Evod as I think it works better, the only downside is that it's a plastic tank. Not sure really why since they should be using the same heads, I just prefer the vapor coming out of it for some reason.

I never had Captain Black so I don't really know the taste but I remember my co-worker trying my ecig when I had the Halo Coffee Mocha juice in it and him saying that it tasted similar to Captain Black so you could give this one a try.

For tobacco-like flavor, I like RY4.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
Good to know, I suspect this will be a problem with my dad and the cigarillos. I think I need to figure out his consumption but it looks like each cigarillo is 100-200mg of nicotine. And I seem to remember him going through half a pack a day (3-4 cigarillos/day) roughly. So he would need a 24mg/mL juice and need about 10mL or so a day.

The strongest I've tested and that I've found is what I used right now, a Phoenix, top coil, so the vapor is warm since it doesn't have much time to cool before getting into your mouth, I'm also using a small drip tip, and using cotton wick which provide a harsh throat hit. Coil is at 1.2 ohms, vaping at 3.4 volts, I stopped letting people try it, they all cough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread