Questions about cartomizer/clearomizer/glassomizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

viperyuan

Dec 27, 2016
Hi, I'm a starter in e-cig. I just can't know the exact difference between cartomizer/clearomizer/glassomizer. According to some website introduction, they said cartomizer has a cotton-like filament inside the coil to absorb the oil, on the other hand, clearomizer and glassomizer have a wick to absorb the e-juice instead of the cotton-like filament.
Is my understanding right?
And what is the difference between the cotton-like filament and the wick?
Are cartomizer clearomizer and glassomizer all rebuildable?
I'm so confused about these problem. And eager to find the answer.Thx

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Bingo! The whole vape industry grew Fast & Haphazardy,,, soft laugh..

And the Industry grew using Shortened Slang Terms that people on Forums like this used.

When I started, what you put an Atty on was called an e-Cigarette. And if you came up with a Modification, or you Build something from scratch, that was called a "mod".

Then people started to call an e-Cigarette a "PV" for Personal Vaporizer.

Then they called them "APV's"

Now, everything is called a Mod.

LOL

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
In 2010, when i started vaping, there was a flavor cartridge which held juice. You screwed the Atomizer to it. Two seperate pieces.
In 2011 the two pieces were melded together and called a cartomizer. Soon shorted to Carto.
There is no filiment feeding anything.
A batting that you juiced up, a piece of quilted paper surrounded the coil/ wick assembly.
34awg/silica.
Silica has a high melt temp far exceeding the surrounding batting, hense the quilted material acting as a heat shield when moist.
I took apart dozens of these trying to repair fried coils.
No, atomizers should not be clasified as cartos.
Confusion exists because of Carto Tanks. A last ditch effort to prolong the carto.
BE VERY HAPPY with todays technology.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Why? OMG:eek:
The carto-tank acts like a reservoir in the glasso.
And the cartomizer acts like the atomizer inside the glasso.
I am aware of the punched holes in the cartimizer, which enable the e-juice to be absorbed into it. However, the glassomizer must have similar holes which have the same oil absorption function.
Then why can't I have the conclusion ‘A carto-tank + a cartomizer=a clearomizer?’ ?

Because if it contains a Cartomizer, Nobody calls it a Clearomizer.

That's what made a Clearomizer Different. It didn't use a Cartomizer.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So what's the difference between the atomizer in a clearo and the cartomizer?
In my opinion, they have the same function, same appearance, and even the same structure.

The Difference is one Doesn't use a Cartomizer. And one Does Use a Cartomizer. And the One that Does Use a Cartomizer is called a Carto-Tank.

You have to Remember what order things were invented in. And that people gave a New Names to New Things.

If you want to call a Carto-Tank a Clearo, that Cool. It's just that People won't understand what you are saying.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
However, I still have one more question:If my atomizer uses a organic cotton wick or a ppl wick, can I simply categorize it as cartomizer? And glasso and clearo only use silica wick?

No, not really.
A Cartomizer is catagorized by the form and function. The cotton is not relevant. It is and will only ever be a small metal tube with inbuilt coil and filler.

When most guides were written, clearomizers only used Silica wicks.
It was us, the Vapers, that rebuilt clearomizers with cotton instead of Silica.
The vaping equipment manufacturers started using cotton in the atomizer heads that people would exchange in their clearomizers. We mostly call these coils. It is important to understand the 'language' (nouns and verbs) of vaping is developing with the technology. The makers and the vapers understand most things, but people who are new or know very little often struggle to make sense of it all. We all understand this issue. However, people use the wrong words for innocent reasons and then the language gets messed up.
I have heard of people asking for a new cartomizer (or similar) for their tank, because they call an atomizer head something incorrect. People also ask for a new 'burner' for their tank sometimes. Nothing is burned. The coil head is the 'tool' for the atomizer.

The term 'glassomizer' doesn't exist here in the UK. The term clearomizer covers 100% of tanks that are either disposable or use factory made atomizer heads. A sub-ohm tank is a clearomizer. We (vapers) would call a sub-ohm tank that does not have factory coils (Goblin, Merlin, Griffin) rebuildable tanks, not rebuildable clearomizers.

Sadly, although cartomizers work well and have a place in Vaping, the established big brands insist on selling them for profit and because they won't have to deal with customers making mistakes etc.
Tobacco companies LOVE cartomizers. So do some evil vaping companies that want to sell $millions but put no effort into the more effective and more-satisfying products.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thx a lot

Holy cow.......My Chinese lung could not sustain that amount of nicotine. I just vape 6mg LOL:shock:

I used 18mg/ml in my 1st e-Cigarette to try to Quit. It Didn't Work.

So I tried 28mg/ml. Better. But I couldn't get over the Hump. And Couldn't Beat Down the Cravings when they got Bad.

So I got some 36mg/ml and filled a Carto with it. I kept it in a Little Altoids Tin. I called it my "Break Glass in Case of Emergency" Cart. And when the Cravings got Bad, and I was about ready to go buy a Pack of Smokes to just have One, I would pull out the 36mg/ml Carto and chain Vape until the Crisis Passed.

But that was in Late 2009/Early 2010. And the Hardware of that Era didn't perform Anywhere Near what Hardware does today.

If I tried using 36mg/ml on what I use today, I would probably Throw Up. And have a Headache for the Rest of the Day.

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
Like zoiDman said, most of those atomizers aren't designed to be rebuilt. Some can be rebuilt though. I and many others have rebuilt Kanger Protank coil heads and Eleaf GS Air coil heads.

The CLR coils that work in the Ego One range of tanks are, by far, the easiest to work on. You can easily pull the wick out, dry burn the coil til the gunk is burned off and put new wick in. Wrapping a new coil for them is easy too.

CLR_head_03.jpg

Reactions: zoiDman

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Hi viperyuan. Welcome to the ECF.

Your Understanding is Basically right.

But one thing that Cartomizer, Clearomizer and Glassomizer all have in common is that they are Not (per say) Rebuildable.

You just use them until they start to Taste Bad, then Replace the Cartomizer, Coil Head, or the Entire Unit.

If you are Wanting something that you can Rebuild, then you should look for something that Includes a "RBA" Section or has a Deck designed to Except Bare Coils/Cotton (an RTA).
Well, subohm tanks such as the Kanger Subtank and Smok tfv8 are basically clearomizers, even though they include RBA heads.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Reactions: djsvapour

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
A carto-tank equals a clearo? It really looks the same.:confused:

No.

A Carto-Tank is a Tank that excepts a Cartomizer. And the Cartomizer that goes into a Carto-Tank has a Hole in the side of it so the e-Liquid can go from the Tank to the inside of the Cartomizer.

A Clearo is a Self Contained Atomizer and Tank combined. And there is Nothing that can be Removed or Replaced per say.

Reactions: daviedog

STEELRAIN

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The essentials are basically Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer and Rebuildable Tank Atomizer. Most everything is within these two. Granted if you cant/won't make your own coils you can get many tanks with prebuilt heads containing the wick and coil. Rebuilding is much cheaper though.

Reactions: daviedog

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation. I think maybe the technology of cartomizer is too simple and the business profit of it is not high enough, and if some vaping companies can solve these two problems and balance them, they can make profit as well as offer us a nice and classical product. :thumb:

Yeh... but it's not a great classical product. It's almost extinct.
The cartomizer vaping brands are not balancing anything, just taking people's money.

Don't concern yourself with it @viperyuan - it's my personal crusade against bad value products that the world probably doesn't need any more.

I have some cartomizer and carto-tanks. I'm not anti third party empty cartomizers, just cartomizer 'refill' brands in the UK, EU and US.

Reactions: KenD

viperyuan

Dec 27, 2016
Yeh... but it's not a great classical product. It's almost extinct.
The cartomizer vaping brands are not balancing anything, just taking people's money.

Don't concern yourself with it @viperyuan - it's my personal crusade against bad value products that the world probably doesn't need any more.

I have some cartomizer and carto-tanks. I'm not anti third party empty cartomizers, just cartomizer 'refill' brands in the UK, EU and US.
By the way, how long have u been using e-cig? I just start to use it two weeks ago. LOL:w00t:

Reactions: djsvapour
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread