Questions about TRUE steeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Place in a shallow dish, something at least as deep as the juice level in the bottle when the bottle is sitting upright in the dish. I use some flat bottom coffee cups.

Put the hottest water you can get out of your tap into the dish until it gets to approximately the same height as the juice in the bottle. This keeps the bottle from tipping or ‘floating’.

Let the bottle sit until the water has become lukewarm or room temperature. Drain water, refill with hot water again. Do this 3-4 times. DO NOT SHAKE during this process.

Juice that needs to be homogenized is pretty much any juice with more than 1 flavor component. When a juice tastes ‘raw’ or undeveloped, not perfumed or alcohol like, but just… inconsistent or “thin” it needs to be blended better.......leave the cap on

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
Think of it this way. Ever had a meat loaf or spaghetti sauce that tastes better the next day than right after its cooked? That's because the flavors had a chance to meld and that melding actually intensified (changed the character of) them all... nothing was added nor removed while the dishes sat in the fridge as leftovers but the flavors changed for the better. That's steeping.

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
I see the term steeping thrown around a lot. WHAT EXACTLY IS STEEPING??
There's a movement afoot among some folks to call it "aging" or "maturing" or something similar, and I do think that would be more self-explanatory.

I put my bottles in a box (so it's not in the sun) and shake them occasionally. :)

Think of it this way. Ever had a meat loaf or spaghetti sauce that tastes better the next day than right after its cooked? That's because the flavors had a chance to meld and that melding actually intensified (changed the character of) them all... nothing was added nor removed while the dishes sat in the fridge as leftovers but the flavors changed for the better. That's steeping.

I guess i understood the purpose of "steeping" I was more wondering about more of the details. What you described sounds more like the let it sit method. My understanding is that letting the juice sit is not the same as steeping.

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
IMO, steeping is letting the bottles sit, cap on in a dark cool place. Breathing is letting the juices sit w/cap off in a dark cool place and recapping, shaking, then uncapping again every day until its matured.

I know some vendors prefer one method over the other for their certain juices. For example, Ahlusion prefers the steeping method. Although it is a good idea if you don't use the cap off method to at least expose the juice to air for about 5 minute to start the steeping process. It's always a good idea to check the vendors website for their preference or email them questions.

I have found that juices that throw off an alcohol/chemical smell when first opened seem to do better with the breathing technique. But I still check what the vendor says to do or search EFC on what others are doing for that particular juice. I personally love the presteeped juices or those that taste great right out of the mail because I have no patience for steeping/breathing methods and want to just vape! This new hobby has taught me to be way more patient!! :vapor:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread