questions before giving it a try

Status
Not open for further replies.

aheatedatom

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2013
San Francisco
Hey there DIY experts, been considering trying to make some of my own juice. I've been wondering about a few things though.

First, mixing- as in the physical action of agitating the ingredients. Maybe I'm dense as this doesn't seem to get mentioned much, but do people just drip flavors out of a pipette into their base liquid, put the cap on it, and call it done? Or do you shake the bottle? Stir it with a broomstick?

Second, testing and steeping. Commercial juices often need some steeping time, and I'm guessing home mixes may need even more. So does this mean you're waiting days or weeks to find out if a mix is good or not? Do you make some mixes, try them out a week later, find out they taste gross and trash them- then modify the recipe and wait another week?

Finally, flavor combination testing. Is the only effective way to test a mix of flavorings to make a batch of juice and vape it? For instance, if you say hm, maybe pickles and nutmeg would taste good together, do you have to mix it, steep it, and vape it...or can you put a drop of each into a glass of water and drink it to get an idea?

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Mixing, as it is used here, is the process of making juice from acquiring the components to writing the recipe, but without any mechanical agitation of a collection of ingredients in a thick PG and/or VG solution there will not be a good result. However you combine the ingredients is fine with me, but my bottles are too small for a broomstick.

Nope. Try it right away AND set it back to steep. If it takes you a week to get through a 30ml bottle and if the flavor changes in a week, it's best to find out when you are making small amounts and adjust your recipe then.

I like to find out how it tastes in vapor. Some use water and drink it. Some use whipped cream instead of water. I like to make single flavor juices and mix them together and then reverse-engineer the recipe.

DJ RyckRak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2013
Somewhere in New England
Aheatedatom-

Only been DIY a month or so, but my 2 cents....

Mixing- Adding flavors is just dripping in the correct percentage's of flavoring, capping the bottle and giving it a very good shaking....
(then shake it every twenty-two minutes, while chanting "flavor- come to me, flavor- come to me.....just messing with ya !);)

Make small batches at first, till you get the recipe down...like 5ml- you can vape it straight off...but flavoring need to steep and mend to come to full flavor. This usually takes 7 days to a month....but....
You can speed up steeping by placing the bottles in very hot water, then waiting till the water gets cold again. This will help mend the flavor into the base PG/VG...be sure to shake the bottles as you remove them from the water. These are your babys, vape em now, or let the mature...it's up to you.

Flavor combinations- Stick to proven recipes until you get your feet wet....later you can create your own recipes.

Welcome to DIY: There is much to learn, and you really should go through DIY basic ED- That would be to Carefully read the stickies at the top of this forum.
I wish you great success !

DJ RyckRak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2013
Somewhere in New England
Mixing, as it is used here, is the process of making juice from acquiring the components to writing the recipe, but without any mechanical agitation of a collection of ingredients in a thick PG and/or VG solution there will not be a good result. However you combine the ingredients is fine with me, but my bottles are too small for a broomstick.

Nope. Try it right away AND set it back to steep. If it takes you a week to get through a 30ml bottle and if the flavor changes in a week, it's best to find out when you are making small amounts and adjust your recipe then.

I like to find out how it tastes in vapor. Some use water and drink it. Some use whipped cream instead of water. I like to make single flavor juices and mix them together and then reverse-engineer the recipe.

Hoosier !
I thought- for sure- That you had little bitty tiny magical brooms and wands !!!!--- I'm Shocked ! :blink:
and Whipping Cream Vape- Sounds Great !

echofinder

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2012
Damascus, MD
www.reddit.com
Two opinions to add:

steeping is relative IMO; some juices require weeks of steeping, some require none at all, so this varies. I try every mix right away (impatience), and have found that you can get a good general idea of what the juice will taste like right after mixing & shaking... steeping will alter the balance of the flavors, sometimes their intensity - often it lessens.removes perfumey or chemically notes, but as far as "what pickle and nutmeg taste like together" that you will find out immediately.

I have never tried water or whipped cream; that sounds interesting! I usually mix 3ml samples of single flavors at 0mg - you can then taste each one to get a sense of what it tastes like & then mix drops in an atty to sample potential blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread