Not open for further replies.

Shortstuff116

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Bellingham, MA
Another question:

Is the soldering iron suppose to smoke when you first plug it up? I unplugged it for now, just in case, but wasn't sure if it was just burning off any dust or stuff. It's brand new, just opened from it's packaging today.

I'm not sure what/which type of soldering iron you purchased but it may have come with a preservative type oil that may be burning off or it may have already been pre-tinned and the flux is smoking away which is normal.

What I do first is moisten a small sponge I have (any sponge will do) and plug my soldering iron in. After I know it is heated up to the right temperature, the first thing I do is wipe the hot tip of the soldering iron over the damp sponge to clean off any impurities, it should look nice and clean. Then I touch the hot tip to the solder to get just a little on the tip. Now it is ready to use.

Once I've used it, I then put a little more solder on the tip to keep it covered in solder until I am ready to pick it up and use it again. When ready to use it again, wipe it clean on the sponge, a little solder to the tip and use it again.

When you are done with all your soldering, just make sure the tip has solder on it to protect the tip from degrading when not in use.

:thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread