The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Quick question on improving V drop

Discussion in 'Reos Mods' started by TheKiwi, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. TheKiwi

TheKiwi Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Hi all!

So I've obviously been enjoying my REOs a ton. And now the annoying bugger in me has reared its face and I feel a need to tinker a little little bit.

I find that on a 0.5 ohm build, the v drop starts to get pretty high. (All with the new contacts) I've done all the necessary stuff: cleaned all my contacts with IPA, use a smidgen of Deoxit gold. It does improve things a little, but I was hoping to improve it more.

I was wondering if anyone has tried sanding off the coating below the spring, and if that makes a difference. It sounds like a good idea in my head: removing an unnecessary layer, but I would like to see if it's been done before and whether it actually makes a difference.

If not, anyone have any great but easy to implement mods? I'm terrible at using tools, and would more likely give myself new AFC options on my fingers before I get anything done right.

Burping out loud using Tapatalk

2. JetMac

JetMac Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    Valdosta, GA, USA
    I just have to ask. Why are so many concerned about volt drop? I've had my grand for a little over two months and it performs better than anything I've ever expected. I have three batteries I keep in rotation, two are Sony vtc5 and the other is a Sony vtc4. I use my grand while at work all day on a .6 ohm coil. When I get home I swap out the battery and continue to use it for the rest of the night until I go to bed. How does voltage drop effect anything, maybe I'm just not understanding what your saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. mackman

mackman Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    NorCal
    Many of us have removed the paint below the spring to reduce voltage drop, real or perceived.

4. Filthy-Beast

Filthy-Beast Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 14, 2011
    Chicago
    If you've got good contact with the screw into the spring it won't notably improve things. Unfortunately there are no simple mods to improve voltage drop above what the gold contacts do. What batteries are you using, I ask because the internal resistance of the battery adds voltage drop and that voltage drop will increase with age or abuse.

5. TheKiwi

Ah. So here's the thing.

On a 0.5 ohm build, it gets me the best run time from morning till night.

But a 0.5 ohm build hits quite a bit better on my stingray x than my REO.

For the first few hours of the day, it isn't really a big deal. But the difference gets noticeable in the evening when the battery drops to 3.8 V (I typically run my batteries down to 3.7 or 3.6+ before swapping them out). Just longer heat up time and less warmth.

I'm sure it might not matter to you, but I guess for me it makes a significant enough difference that I would try to improve things if possible. Not a bigger tho!

6. TheKiwi

Using both Samsung 25R and LG HE2.

The same batteries I share with my stingray. (My "issue" is described in my reply above haha)

Now of course I don't expect the REO to hit as hard as a full copper mod. But this is more of me trying to see if there's anything I can improve at all. If there isn't, then I'm perfectly contented. I have a veritas on my REO and haven't touched any other mod since, so needless to say I'm incredibly happy with my REO. Just, you know, scratching an itch that doesn't really exist.

7. Filthy-Beast

Filthy-Beast Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 14, 2011
    Chicago
    I typically change the battery twice a day and rarely drop below 3.8

8. Roscoe01

Roscoe01 Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Sep 17, 2014
    North Dakota
    Did chowder convert your Veritas to bf for you? If so can you comment on how it's working for you. Several folks have been asking around here about a bf conversion on the Veritas.

9. TheKiwi

Haha I might have to do that. I'm just sucha lazy VAPER overall. *looks at myself in deep shame* but I guess I'll just do that and not bother with the whole v drop

ETA: Btw just to be clear, I'm not complaining about the REO. I absolutely love mine. Just feeling a little tweaky is all :)

10. TheKiwi

Yeap. He has very few left in stock I believe.

Overall, it's my favorite atty hands down. It's a very complicated mod, Squonks and drains well. The way it is set up for mine, it doesn't drain completely, but I get about 8 to 12 long drags before I even have to Squonk. And with its design, absolutely zero leaks. It's amazing. I'm still trying to figure out if I wanna sell the rest of my atties. 8 atties, 2 REOs.

Either sell the excess or buy more Reos. AH. Decisions in life

11. JetMac

Sep 20, 2014
    Valdosta, GA, USA
    Kiwi,

Is it possible to post up some pics of the atty that was modded?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. TheKiwi

AWWW but I just rebuilt it :( hahahaha I can take a picture of the atty as it is right now but with a build on in maybe half hour?

13. JetMac

Sep 20, 2014
    Valdosta, GA, USA
    Yeah that's cool take your time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. slappy3139

slappy3139 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2013
    New Iberia, LA, USA
    Easy decision, buy more reos!