Status
Not open for further replies.

RamShot Rowdy

Battery Police
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2009
Oklahoma, USA
I've told my story several times on this forum. I won't bore anyone with it again, except to say, it took two trys and a few years, but I quit smoking by vaping. I've now been a non smoker for nearly three years.

This past week an idea crept into my mind...and I've been giving it some serious thought. I think it's because my 40th birthday is in a week, and I realize I need to start living healthier. Also I was thinking about all the cool new vaping gear I've bought in the last few months...I started thinking, is this something I need to do to keep from smoking, or is it more of a hobby now.

I honestly have absolutely no desire for cigarettes anymore. You couldn't pay me to smoke them.

So I think I might try to quit, and was wondering if anyone had any advice? I know a vaping forum isn't the best place to look for ex-vapers, but I thought it was worth asking.

RamShot Rowdy

Battery Police
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2009
Oklahoma, USA
I wish I had some. Maybe just ween yourself off the nic. For myself i see myself vaping until I am dead and buried. Hell I can see myself laying there with a vape as they lower me into the ground. lol

I felt the same way until recently. I started vaping to quit smoking, but never saw myself quitting vaping/nicotine all together. I finally feel like it's a possibility though.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
So I think I might try to quit, and was wondering if anyone had any advice? I know a vaping forum isn't the best place to look for ex-vapers, but I thought it was worth asking.

I get the feeling you have not weaned off nic yet. If that is true, I suggest you do that while still vaping. If you have already done this then ignore this part :)

I weaned down to zero nic in about nine months of vaping, but it took me almost a year and a half until I felt I was really over the cigarette addiction.

Once you have left the cigarette addiction and nic behind, IMO you should be able to quit vaping fairly easily, but that's my opinion only. I still vape. For me the issue is motivation. I was motivated to quit nic and cigs and did that. I now enjoy vaping zero nic and feel it has no significant health risk for me. Full disclosure; I still vape a bit of nic once in a while because I like the TH and the effect it has on me.

IMO, evaluate your desires and go with the flow. Take your time and move toward your goals in the way that works for you. You can accomplish what you want to if you do it the right way for you :)

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
I got into vaping with no expectation of quitting smoking. 6 weeks later I didn't smoke anymore. Then I thought, I'll just vape this 12mg nic forever. Then my setup got more and more efficient and my nic level kept dropping. It's weird dropping nic levels with such ease. I had equipment issues yesterday and had to go 8 hours without a vape. I did not feel much, if any, nic withdraw. I did feel the need for oral stimulation. Nothing like going 8 hours without a smoke. I am in the middle of dropping from 6mg to 3mg and now see myself heading towards zero nic. If I get to and stay at 0mg for a couple of months, I'll consider quitting.

cores

Verified Member
Dec 24, 2014
I've quit smoking a bunch of times throughout my life - usually 2 year breaks. I do keep going back because I simply enjoy smoking. And easy to put them down since I know how to successfully quit every time now. Right now, Ive switched to vaping only, and I like it too - it allows me to smoke, without the smell. At this point though, im just tired of smoking. I've worn it out, and its enjoy-ability just isn't the same to me. Once I wear out vaping, I don't think I'll smoke anymore.

When I first tried my many failed attempts to quit smoking (the unsuccessful fail to quits), I used gums, patches, smoked 1/4 cigarrette a day to take the edge off, even used wellbutrin, etc. It never worked. I found the easiest way to quit is to cold-turkey quit and never touch it at all at any dose whatsoever. And there is a reason for that..

Once you understand the secret to quiting, it is easy to quit anytime you wish. When you quit smoking, your body will go into withdrawal. It is a natural process. And it will usually take 9 to 24 days to complete. Heres the secret: If you take any sort of nicotine into your system at anytime during the withdrawal period, it resets that withdrawal timer back to 0 minutes. And everything you were suffering up to that point got thrown out the window. Your body's withdrawl process will start all over again, and your back to day1 of the withdrawal cycle. This is viscious if you don't understand it - your withdrawl symptoms will not go away ever with this type of quit method. I put myself through 5 months of withdrawal hell finding this out...

If you want to quit - Don't cut back. Don't touch nicotine in any form. Just quit. 0 nicotine.

Set a quit date estimate. Before you quit, smoke yourself silly - vape and smoke till your green, sick and stinky. Pay attention to the things you hate. That ball and chain, the smell, the butts and ashtrays, the cost, the health. Get any nicotine out of your house. Clean the ashtrays, vapes, etc and hide them. Take your last smoke before bedtime and sleep late - its easier on your symptoms then quiting in the middle of the day.

Eat lots of food. This is how your body rids itself of nicotine. Don't worry bout the weight gain. The more you eat, the faster your withdrawal will end. And your appetite will return to normal levels after a few weeks. The weight will mostly fall off a few weeks after that.

You'll feel like crap, youll want to smoke terribly bad. Try to do nothing that causes concentration or stress. I usually will do it over a holiday or vacation and just watch movies for 5 to 14 sucky days. After that its over and easy, you may still crave for 3 months or so, but you won't have withdrawal symptoms lasting longer then 10 seconds. Best to avoid smoking friends and alcohol too!

Once you understand the withdrawal process, and that that withdrawal does end, it really isn't too hard. Have faith - it does go away - 9 to 24 days after the last time you touched any level of nicotine.

One last tip - use the withdrawal against itself. Feel that withdrawal? Yah, pretty bad isn't it? Do you really want to allow that feeling to keep controlling your life? If you vape that 12mg on day 7, that's 7 days of agony your gonna have to do all over again.

Last edited:

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
Well, for me I accidentally quit. I did both for a good while and started decreasing the number of cigarettes. I was just trying to save money. The lower I got, the more I like vaping flavors and the same cigarette I had smoked for so very long, started tasting nasty. When I got down to 1 or 2 a day (there was no way I was going to waste them) but I almost had to make myself smoke them. And as soon as I put it out I would vape to get the awful taste out of my mouth. So I just quit when mine ran out and I have been vapng for over a year and a half and have not had any desire for a real cigarette. I had no withdrawal, no anxiety and no problems.

ECF is a wonderful place for all the information but it is also a fantastic support group. Let us help you anyway we can. Please let us know how you are doing because we all know what you are going through and we care.

Justadude

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
I've quit before a countless times like many of you guys, but never vaped. It wasn't even 2 months ago that I told my girl I'd quit smoking on her birthday. As a replacement I got into vaping, not even 2 months into it I got 2 "e-cig" devices (kanger, atlantis and Apollo clone) and I'm into building unique coils. What used to be addiction turned into a new hobby. I honestly never thought in my life I would get into mech's and dripping but after Atlantis I wanted more and I'm glad I got into it. Music got put on a side for a little white but that's ok 'cause I gained a lot of knowledge and I'm being safe while sub-ohming.

If you want to quit vaping, go ahead, but personally there is no way I would want to quit this. Cigarettes - yes, vaping - nope.

I'm doing nic in my kanger, Apollo I'm doing zero nic for obvious reasons. I could not do direct lung hit with what's in my kanger, 12 mg is simply way too much for a direct lung hit. I actually wanted to try cigs after vaping for 2 months straight and bummed one off this dude like last weekend. Here's the conclusion - nearly zero throat hit, hard to puff on it, tasted like crap. Took 3 drags and threw it away and said sorry dude, that's just not the same. Picked up my kanger right away and it's like heaven compared to that - easy to puff on, decent throat hit, and flavor flavor flavor :) :) :) And Apollo was sitting at home, which compared to kanger is like comparing a Lamborghini to a Yugo :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread