Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
About 5.4 million deaths a year are caused by tobacco smoke. Estimates predict that it will kill 6.5 million people in 2015 and 8.3 million in 2030, with biggest rise in low and middle – income countries. According to the World Health Organization (WHO) a current or former smoker dies every 6.5 seconds. An estimated 1.3 billion people are smokers worldwide. Over 443,000 Americans (over 18 percent of deaths) die because of smoking each year. 50,000 of them are secondhand smokers. Between 33 and 50 percent of all smokers will die an average of 15 years sooner than nonsmokers.

Source: Click Here

Number of deaths from using E-cigarettes: Zero
For the benefit of the hard of hearing: ZERO !!!

The opposition is 100% aware of these statistics,
yet cautions smokers from trying E-cigarettes because
they are not convinced E-cigarettes are 100% safe.
If smokers stop smoking and now use the E-cigarette...
they remain 2nd class citizens.

The FDA is 100% aware of the statistics and all the tests
and studies proving the safety of E-cigarettes. However,
remains .... about banning E-cigarettes.

Naturally, there is no major movement to ban tobacco

I know it's all about money...
and nothing to do with Truth, Health, or Common sense

I found E-cigarettes after smoking 2-3 packs-a-day for 40 years...
Just to discover…Truth about E-cigarettes is Politically Incorrect

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Unfortunately, the zealots no longer care about "saving smokers." They only care about "saving the children" from the "evils of addiction." It doesn't even matter if the addiction is smokeless and has no worse health risks than the caffeinate soda to which they are already addicted.

For everyone else opposing e-cigarettes, it's all about the money.

o4_srt

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Lancaster, PA
just to play devil's advocate, vaping has only been around for a handful of years.

Cigarette's weren't known to be harmful immediately, it took years to make the connection between tobacco smoke and cancer.

We're all test subjects here, even though the ingredients are generally safe, there is always the risk that we are exposing ourselves to some unknown toxin that could have health effects down the road. Nobody knows the long term effects of vaping, we are all just making assumptions based on what data we currently have.

But yes, kristin, it's all about the money, and the children.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Unfortunately, the zealots no longer care about "saving smokers." They only care about "saving the children" from the "evils of addiction." It doesn't even matter if the addiction is smokeless and has no worse health risks than the caffeinate soda to which they are already addicted.

Reminds me of what George Carlin once said...
"Politicians hide behind the flag, God and children"

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
"Between 33 and 50 percent of all smokers will die an average of 15 years sooner than nonsmokers."

Just think between 59 and 67% of smokers won't die an average of 15 years sooner than nonsmokers but will continue to fund the economy with excess tax payments. $3 a pack taxes for a pack a day smoker brings in over a thousand a year to government, far outdistancing any additional medical expenses they may incur. In addition, those that die an average of 15 years sooner have saved the government an average of at least $10k a year in SS payments and 15 years of medical costs as well as the costs of caring for the aged. Looks like a win for society to continually demonize smokers and tobacco/nicotine users while keeping smoking legal.

No, it's not about the money.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
just to play devil's advocate, vaping has only been around for a handful of years.

Cigarette's weren't known to be harmful immediately, it took years to make the connection between tobacco smoke and cancer.

We're all test subjects here, even though the ingredients are generally safe, there is always the risk that we are exposing ourselves to some unknown toxin that could have health effects down the road. Nobody knows the long term effects of vaping, we are all just making assumptions based on what data we currently have.

I've heard that one before. But I'm not sure that those who make the accusation have considered all the data:
  • Smokers who switch to low-nitrosamine snus live as long as those who quit all tobacco
  • The only thing e-cigarettes deliver that snus does not is larger amounts of PG or VG
  • PG and VG are not particularly harmful
  • >90% of e-cigarette users report their health has improved since switching

My choices never included giving up all nicotine, because that makes me sick. So my choices were to continue smoking or switch to a product that supplies adequate amounts of nicotine. For years I denied that smoking was causing any harm to my health. But the handwriting was on the wall that I was on my way to developing COPD. So I switched to e-cigs and the wheezing stopped and the "productive cough" went away. I consider my health improved.

So if 20 or 30 years from now I drop dead of some unknown mysterious e-cigarette toxin, at least I will have lived to see some of my grandchildren grow up, granduate, get married, and have some babies of their own.

Reactions: Claire LV

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I'm getting confused again

The zealots want to ban E-cigarettes to save the children from the evils of tobacco
but they are not interested in uniting to campaign to ban tobacco.

Who's going to save the world from the zealots?

Mark Twain said, "Nothing needs reforming so much as other people's habits."

There was an excerpt from a new book, The Gift, by James Patterson in the one I just finished reading. This passage sent chills down my spine:

Imagine that all things you love most in the world--and probably take for granted--are now banned. Your books, movies, art...all snatched away. Burned. That's life under the New Order, the so-called government--or brutal totalitarian regime--that's taken over this world. Now, with every waking breath, we have to fight for every freedom we have left. Even our imagination is at risk. Can you picture your government trying to destroy that? It's inhuman.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I was watching the newer "Horton Hears a Who" with my daughter and there is a scene where Horton is trying to save the Who world from the nanny kangaroo. She starts getting the mob really going by claiming it's "for the children."

What is happening to the jungle of Nool?

There once was a time
when people were people.

And specks were specks.

All I say it you can't see it, hear it,
or feel it it doesn't exist.

Our way of life is under attack.

And who's leading that attack?

Horton!!

Whoa, whoa, whoa!
Wait a minute!

This is Horton we're talking about
you'll know about him.

He wouldn't hurt a fly.
Except for that fly city he sat on.

He didn't that on purpose.

- Shut up, mouse.
- Oh, Yeah. That's weired.

I feel my brain is burning.
I got to go.

Are we going to let troublemakers
like Horton poison the minds of children?

Not the children!!

When Horton tells our children
about worlds beyond the jungle,

it makes them question authority.

Which leads to the fires,
which leads to shocking!!

Yeah!! Horton must pay!!

Eat that speck!!

We have to do something!

- For the children!
- For the children!

Are we going to let him get away with this?

No!!!

Horton, Horton, Horton look at that mess
you created for yourself.

All this holible lure over us
is silly little flower.

It's a speck.

Right.

I mean a silly really all this talk of
roping you and caging you and well

we don't need to go into the details.

The point is this angry mob
of all a trouble you're in.

It can all go away.

- Really?
- Of course.

All you have to do is admit to everyone

that there are no little people
living on that speck.

That you're wrong and I was right.

You do that,

and things can go the right
back to the way they were.

But, if you don't,

You're going to have to pay the price.

So I just have to say it isn't true?

Go ahead! Rope me! Cage me!
Do whatever you want!

But there are people on this speck.

And they have Mayor.

Who has 96 daughters
and one son name JoJo,

Who all share a bathroom
whatever that is.

And even though you can't
hear or see them at all,

Person's a person,
no matter how small.

That was beautiful, Horton.

Rope him! Cage him!

Burn that speck in a pot of
boiling pees on that oil!

They don't believe we're here.

We've got to make some noise!

We are here. We are here. We are here.

In the end, it was ONE final voice that made the Whos loud enough to hear and convince the jungle animals that they were real.

Something I keep saying - don't think that you can't make a difference - sometimes all it takes is just one voice.

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
in my opinion the number one cause for teenage smoking is having parents that smoke, so commen sence dictates the more adults you get off of analogs the fewer kids who will start smoking. where is the study on this?
It's genetics (nicotine metabolism) and peer group. There are numerous studies on this.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
FWIW: that article seemed more of an advertisement for this Satisfying Smoke starter kit product and less than an actual news article ..

With that being said... it did spark up an interesting conversation.. so I moved this thread to where it is closely suited for

LGD

The "Commercial" article was not the topic, only source for the statistics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread