RBA for Vision Spinner / eGo Twist

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinW

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Rhode Island
Couldn't find anything about this so I hope I'm in the right place. I know it sounds funny to talk about rba or more specifically my desire for a genesis vape and include "Vision Spinner" in the same line... but is it a horrible idea?

I love my Vision Spinners. They work just as I need them to and a given volt on a given ohm should be the same (given it really is the same volts and ohms).

However, after working with clearomizers and thinking about carto tanks I really like the idea of an rba Genesis style vape. I want to see if it really is better and play around with it as well.

So in a nutshell, is it okay to run a genesis RBA on a Vision Spinner with the ohms being checked out on a multimeter to ensure it is the desired ohms and working properly?

I was thinking of the GotVapes

NEW Birkshire AGA-T+ Genesis RBA Tank

or the

mini COBRA Genesis SS MESH Rebuildable Atomizer Tank

This would be my very first RBA

cghildreth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
Central Texas
Generally I would recommend against an rba on a ego style device. The reason for this is we don't really have any insight into the amp output capabilities of the ego batteries, though we do have a pretty darn good idea that the amp output capability is minimal. The chemistry of the ego batteries is also not as safe as the high drain imr batteries. Long story short, if you screw up and short out the RBA (which is pretty easy to do - I did it last week by accident despite the fact that I've been doing this for over a year and am a proficient coil builder), you risk your ego battery literally blowing up in your face.

Save your $, invest in a decent (but inexpensive) mechanical mod, a good charger, high drain batteries (like the AW IMRs or MNKEs), and only then buy yourself an RBA/RDA. :2c:

And keep asking questions and researching! The more info you have the better.

KevinW

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Rhode Island
Thank you cghidreth, that is exactly what I was wondering. I think the RBA life is just something that will have to benefit the others that have the right equipment. For me, the cost for a good MOD isn't the issue. Whether it's a Provari or a Lavatube V2, Vamo V3 or anything else, I just can't justify the money. To date I've saved over $1500.00 from my wife and I not smoking, I just like my Spinner's size and performance.

The idea of damaging the Spinner or myself in the process is just something I can't / wont risk. I guess I was hoping someone would have the... "Not a great idea but here... this one is for Spinners" kind of thing. In looking back I know it was kind of foolish to wish for that but hey, doesn't hurt to try.

Thanks again.

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
It can be done. Just check your coils with a multimeter to make sure they are 1.8 ohms or higher. I would not use SS mesh wick because it shorts pretty easily. It is totally reasonable to get a rebuildable dripper and use silica or cotton wick. I recommend a phoenix clone or igo-s or similar.

Also, almost all ego-style batteries have short circuit protection. It's not the greatest in the world, but its pretty unlikely that you'll get a catastrophic failure. You still need to be careful though. It will just blink a few times and stop working until you disconnect the shorted atty. Let's be honest here, sometimes new factory clearomizer heads or rebuilt heads short out when screwed down for the first time. It's not the end of the world. Yes, it may stop working forever but it also can die randomly or wear out.

-- Sent from my Android phone --

Last edited:

SirSteve

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
Northern Indiana
It can be done. Just check your coils with a multimeter to make sure they are 1.8 ohms or higher. I would not use SS mesh wick because it shorts pretty easily. It is totally reasonable to get a rebuildable dripper and use silica or cotton wick. I recommend a phoenix clone or igo-s or similar.

Also, almost all ego-style batteries have short circuit protection. It's not the greatest in the world, but its pretty unlikely that you'll get a catastrophic failure. You still need to be careful though. It will just blink a few times and stop working until you disconnect the shorted atty. Let's be honest here, sometimes new factory clearomizer heads or rebuilt heads short out when screwed down for the first time. It's not the end of the world. Yes, it may stop working forever but it also can die randomly or wear out.

-- Sent from my Android phone --

I have to agree with Cloudz, just don't go crazy with low resistance and the ego style should be alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread