RBA noob questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

degnr8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Aberdeen,WA,U.S.A
I've been vaping for four years, but just ordered my first RBA (an A7) and had a couple questions. I know you can use kanthal or nichrome and people have preferences but what really is the difference between the two in terms of vaping? I'm used to vaping a 2.5 ohm 510 dripping atty at 4.5-5v, which I know works out to about 13 watts, which on a mech will require 1.3-1.5 ohms but to get the same kind of vape should I get those ohms with thicker or thinner wire?

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC
Thicker wire as the ohms drop. For 1.3-1.5, I'd suggest 30 or maybe 32 gauge...

Word of caution... You will NOT get the same vape...

The vape is not determined by voltage or resistance or wattage... It's determined by wire temp... And airflow.

Yes all those factors play into wire temp... But you'll get a different vape from thicker wire.

Sent from my mobile, using Tapatalk... so ignore the typos. ;)

BrandonSi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2009
Chicago
So given the same resistance does thicker equal hotter or cooler vapor?

Wire diameter is part of what determines resistance.. Larger wire, less resistance, cooler temps.

However, airflow also plays a factor.. Larger (or multiple) air-hole means more cool air from the outside entering the chamber, cooler overall vapor.

It's a balancing act.

G2matt

Verified Member
Jul 24, 2013
Kent,UK
On 32 gauge you need about 4 wraps to give you resistance of around 1.8 ohm. But rba's are a different beast to non, but not in a bad way its just another chapter in the book and there is abit to learn about them, which seems to be mainly achieved by hands on action. The only problem imo with thinner wire is if you have a hot spot it will pop the coil easier, whereas thicker wire will tolerate any adjustments you need to make.

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC
Yes... On thicker wire, I get a cooler, more flavorful vape at 0.8 than I ever did with dripping on LR 510 attys

Thicker wire at comparable resistance(more coils), takes longer to heat up... Even at 0.8, 28 gauge takes a couple seconds to heat up... I actually hold the button for a couple seconds before bringing the PV to my mouth... I also release the button halfway though my drag.

Sent from my mobile, using Tapatalk... so ignore the typos. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread