RBA VAMO Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike.No.Ike

Verified Member
May 14, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Alright let me start from the beginning so you know the whole story. I ordered the vamo with an aga-t+ and a vision vivi nova, which came in a couple days ago among other parts. I ended up buying the wrong kanthal (28awg) to use the aga-t on my vamo (doesnt fire below 1.2ohms). So I have been using the vivi nova to get by. The head that came pre-installed was the 2.8ohm head. When I would check the ohms using the vamo it would randomly change from 2.5-6.5ohms. I figured the vamo had something wrong with it so i vaped it knowing it was 2.8. Then the vamo would stop firing every once in a while because it would read 9.9ohms (like the coil was popped). I would unscrew the nova and put it back on and it would work again. Then it clicked that maybe my vamo was fine and i just got a bogus head, so i put the 1.8ohm replacement head that comes with it on. Works perfectly and reads 2ohms all the time. I was happy that my vamo wasnt broken. Then my Kanthal 32awg i ordered came in so i began setting up my aga-t. I oxidized the mesh unrolled then 3 more times after it was rolled then juice burned it 3 times. Then i wrapped 5 wraps and checked it on the vamo. It read 1.5ohms so i began to set the coil to make it burn even with short pulses. After 1 pulse the vamo showed low ohms on the screen and read .7ohms when i checked. So i wrapped a 6 wrap coil and checked it and it read .6ohms. I removed 1 wrap off of that coil and it read 1.8ohms (which was weird). After the first pulse again i got the low ohm warning, and it read .7ohms. If i pick at the coil, it will read 1.5ohms then drop to .7 after a short pulse. So i pulled out my dad's fluke multi-meter and checked the resistance and it read 1.6-2.1ohms, which i was expecting with the gauge and wraps on the aga-t. Even though its reading right on the multi-meter it is still unusable on the vamo for some reason. Im aggravated with this to the point of wanting a cig but the vivi nova is the only thing saving me right now:mad:. What do you guys think is the problem?

:vapor:*To any new vapers out there, dont get me wrong I think the vamo is a great mod and reccomend it. I think it is something i am doing wrong.*:vapor:

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
I had an awful time with my Vamo these last few days too. I blamed it on my coiling. :facepalm: I'm new to the flat ribbon wire, so it was an easy assumption (blaming my experience or lack thereof instead of the mod).
Thank goodness for my daGreen B.A.M. or I wouldn't be enjoying chocolate mint with cable wick wrapped in flat ribbon wire as I type.

Crash Moses

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
Check out eHuman's blog on the AGA-T2. E-Cigarette Forum - eHuman - Blogs

It can be frustrating to get rid of hotspots on the AGA. Personally...I oxidize the heck out of the wick. That has helped me more than not. You want a nice firm wrap around the coil but not too tight. Just touching the wick. The biggest hot spot problem is the positive connection...make sure the coil is standing straight up and down and there isn't a lot of tension between the coil and the positive post.

Don't give up...it can be frustrating but when you finally get it to work without having to fiddle with it constantly it's awesome. Also, don't throw away that 28 awg Kanthal...as you get more experience it might come in handy (I'm thinking microcoils using silica or cotton).

As for your VAMO, there is a known issue with the center post sometimes recessing a little too far. Just take a very small screwdriver (very small) and work your way around the center post to pry it up a little. That should help with any connection problems. I dropped mine once and it refused to fire so I checked the forums and that seems to be a consistent issue.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Believe me or don't - it IS the coil, not the Vamo.

Remove the wick from the coil, double check your coil end connections, and Fire it on the Vamo Coil alone should get hot, turn orange(Break in).

Burn the heck out if the top of your SS Wick and try again.

The sudden Drop/short is coil to wick contact.
Also, 28ga. is NOT a problem on RSST and Vamo - That is what I'm running right now. 6 wraps=1.3ohms:D (YMMV)

MBX5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2013
Arvada, CO
I've also been trying to build one and after about 10 tries I got one to stay at 1.3 ohms. Seems like 95% of my coils came out at .7. The one at 1.3 was good with silica but as soon as I put a #400 mesh in it dropped to .6 and wouldn't fire on the Vamo as we know it won't work with sub ohm coils. The 1.3 was 32 gage wrapped 7 times!

Last edited:

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif

As for your VAMO, there is a known issue with the center post sometimes recessing a little too far. Just take a very small screwdriver (very small) and work your way around the center post to pry it up a little. That should help with any connection problems. I dropped mine once and it refused to fire so I checked the forums and that seems to be a consistent issue.

Well I'll be darned. Worked a charm. I have a 2.2 OHM reading and a firing both. I wish I would have thunk/read this yesterday, it might have spared a trip to the replacement window glass store.

Mike.No.Ike

Verified Member
May 14, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Before attaching your leg to the positive post, take a finger and gently move the wick away from the post while attaching the end of your wire. This little move will give enough slack between the wick and the post and may help solve positive post hot spots. This seems to help especially with the AGA-t's.

thx alot for the tip it helped me adjusting the coil

Mike.No.Ike

Verified Member
May 14, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
I've also been trying to build one and after about 10 tries I got one to stay at 1.3 ohms. Seems like 95% of my coils came out at .7. The one at 1.3 was good with silica but as soon as I put a #400 mesh in it dropped to .6 and wouldn't fire on the Vamo as we know it won't work with sub ohm coils. The 1.3 was 32 gage wrapped 7 times!

So i finally got it... My problem was the wick wasn't oxidized enough which might be ur problem too since it sounds like you are having the same problem as me. I ran my torch 2 more times over the wick and wrapped a 5 wrap and i am at 1.6ohms. If the wick isnt oxidized enough it will drop to sub ohms. Also i did el_tec 's tip with the positive post that helped alot with the hot leg on top.

MBX5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2013
Arvada, CO
So i finally got it... My problem was the wick wasn't oxidized enough which might be ur problem too since it sounds like you are having the same problem as me. I ran my torch 2 more times over the wick and wrapped a 5 wrap and i am at 1.6ohms. If the wick isnt oxidized enough it will drop to sub ohms. Also i did el_tec 's tip with the positive post that helped alot with the hot leg on top.

Thanks ill give them a try later.

MotoBlue

May 5, 2013
Stockport, U.K.
Enjoy it while it lasts. I was where you are a month ago. I've found the best approach is:
flame your kanthal
wind a coil round a screw, fit and fire to oxidise
roll your wick to a diameter for a light friction fit - it may need to be gently screwed into your wick.
Pulse

You are now in the position of being able to remove your wick at the end of a tank, dry fire the wick to clean, refit your wick after washing clean and you are back in business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread